Forums > Social Chat > i was pondering.......

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey all! well im pretty new to this site and to poi in gerneral... only been spinning for like a week. why im posting is i was talking to my mom on the phone today and shes going to have surgery done to fix (or try to anyways) her carpel tunnel syndrome. (excuse my spelling) any one heard of any one getting that from poi? it seems like it would be pretty easy to get it from all the wrist movements youre doing.

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Im not a doctor, and have no clue what Im talking about, but, just pondering as well-I would believe that it would be difficult to get CT from poi. The movements are too broad and too varied to get it, I would think. Just my $.02-PSM------------------"One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind."-Alphonse Bertillon

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
As I understand it, carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by holding your wrists at an unnatural angle to type. This is obviously not the case with poi. If anything, I would think poi would alleviate/prevent the problem.Check out:https://www.tifaq.com/information.html

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
On a similar medical note, I'm wondering if anyone has problems regarding circulation on the fingers they poi with?Am thinking all the preassure and momentum can't be too great for the blood vessels at my fingertips.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i think the circulation thing could be alleviated by the handles you use. if you have really heavy poi and a single loop finger handle you could really do in your hands. if you have multi-finger handles or wrist loops then i think it would be less of a problem because you spread the weight/pull over your hand.as for carpal tunnel i'm dont think you could get that from poi but i think its possible to get other types of repetitive strain injury from it if you were doing it a lot, like hours and hours and hours a day without breaks. consider how much time your average person with carpal has to spend at a computer to get it, but then once you have it it takes a long time to get over it, if ever. so take breaks and practice staff or something for a while! theres other sorts of injuries you could get like pulling muscles and the like which you can try to avoid by stretching (oh the behind the back thing is killing me!)Pere

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
i have pretty bad ct, and i find that poi actually helps. i keep my poi at my desk, and every couple hours (or more) i get up and poi for 10 or 15 minutes. it really works the pain out, and i also feel that my wrists are getting a lot stronger now, too.maybe your mom should hold the surgery off and just take up poi! smile

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
yah! ditto to wot ykat said... i have a weird shoulder-pain thing that comes from being at the compie all day... poi makes it all better!

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I dont know if I have CT or not. I guess Ill do some research on it and find out exactly. But I picked up a huge tree trunk several months back which I shouldnt have, and I messed up my right wrist. Every so often, like right now, it starts to stiffen and generally just doesnt like to be moved. This happens when I overstrain it. Yesterday I was skating backwards over a bridge and hit a bad spot where the platforms connected and... you can imagine. So out goes the wrist, and now Im hurting. Poi has never caused my wrists to hurt, thankfully. Peace, all.------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
*youch* Sounds like that skating accident would hurt. I can imagine..I love to rolleblade. =) I would tend to think that if you had CT you'd know..I think one of the symptoms is pains in the bottoms of your wrists. I do a lot of computer work as well(many many many hours in front of the computer)...poi helps loosen my body up, and helps keep me in fit. =)------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-