Forums > Social Chat > The Top 10 thread #1: Films

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
This one is for all the geeky and anal people like me out there who love making completely meaningless lists of stuff they like. I reckon you can tell a lot about a persons personality from the type of stuff they like. I love being obsessive about details and getting really involved in in-depth discussions about minor details in movies (don't even get me started on lord of the rings) wink

The best part is, if we spot a post by someone with a similar list that has a film that we haven't seen, it's a fair bet we'll like it. But think carefully: there are a lot of films. Choose the ones that have affected you, influenced you or touched you the most over the years. And if it's a film no-one will ever have heard of, give a very brief outline!

Thread #2 will be albums, #3 will be sexual positions wink

So without further ado, here are my top 10 movies.

1. A Flight of Dragons (animation from 1982 feat. James Earl Jones. As a kid, I loved it as a magical adventure. As an adult, it's fascinating allegory on science vs. religion, and how ultimately they're two sides of the same coin)

2. Lord of the Rings trilogy. (Blinding soundtrack, amazing visuals, totally nailed Tolkiens world. Geek alert!)

3. Pi (Again, great soundtrack feat Aphex Twin etc, great cinematography, fantastic concept about patterns emerging in nature)

4. Evil Dead 2 (Bruce Campbell's best ever performance, so funny but so ingenious at the same time)

5. Shawshank redemption (One of the most uplifting films ever made. An inspiration, and one of the best demonstrations of why never to let go of hope I've ever seen)

6. Donnie Darko (As a mood piece this works like no other film I've ever seen. Brilliantly ambiguous, Jake Gylenhall is blinding as donnie)

7. Akira (Best anime ever. Full stop. Needs repeated viewings, but the denoument is mind-blowing if you understand what happened!)

8. Aliens (One of the great action movies. The Alien queen fight at the end is absolute cinema legend)

9. Hero (purely for the artistry that went into the cinematography and choreograhpy, especially the scene where the two heros are fighting over the lake. Easily the most beautiful film I've seen, and I loved the concept of even the bad guy is trying to do something good)

10. City of God (pure realism. One of the most authentic films I've seen in ages, and incredibly shocking and moving. Great film)

I may edit this list at some point when I think of movies I've missed that should have been there.

Feel free to rip the censored out of me for being sad. I'm just interested in what other people like, I might learn something....

EDITED_BY: SamboFlux (1152223720)

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
well fight club isnt there for one

id only count the directors cut of donnie darko, once you've seen that you realise the first release version is a bit poor really

in agreement with pi being there

but lord of the rings cant be there for simply being a cheesy pile of sheeyat. its alrite, and the way they made middle earth in film form is amazing, but with weak soundtrack, and uber cheesiness, made something that was potentially incredible a bit crap really,

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
LOTR had a weak soundtrack???? you WHAT????

And I actually prefered the original donnie Darko cut, it was more ambiguous and I liked it for that.

I won't be drawn into a LOTR discussion. It could go on for weeks. PM style if you you want to go there boss! wink

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Marquisnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
you missed

Ginger snaps

The city of lost children

Scream

labyrinth

brotherhood fo the wolf

super troopers

idle hands

batman begings

office space

Nightwatch!!!!
EDITED_BY: Marquis (1152217533)

Its all good!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
zatoichi - the pilgrimage

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
smaboflux - pretty good. A flight of dragons was my favourite film as a kid top marks.

although i prefer evil dead 3 "army of darkness" to 2. (Appart from - It got into my hand and went bad.... so I lopped it off at the wrist ubblol)

and how come there is nothing with silent bob here when he's your avatar wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
erm.....................

3x3 eyes - manga

akira - manga

the devil man trilogy - manga

ninja scrolls - you guessed it

cyber city oedo 808 - manga

locks stock and 3 smoking barrels

snatch

scum

clockwork orange

apocalyps now

ubbrollsmile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Top 10 Films

DANCER IN THE DARK - The most purely emotion piece of cinema I have experienced in my life. Never been reduced to convulsive wracking sobs in a cinema before or since. Made more memorable with the strangley hummable yet evocative songs by Bjork who gave an astonishingly real and heartbreaking performance. (well more 'heart ripped out of your chest and kicked about then steamrolled over)

HEATHERS - Watched it before I went to High School. Glad I did. Fully prepared me for what I could've faced and I know I probably wouldn'tve survived without it.

CHASING AMY - Watched it at time when I was still trying to reconcile my sexuality and polarised a few ideas about relationships in general. The Comic Book angle was a hook too.

AMELIE - Touched upon my thoughts and feelings about altruism and the need to feed 'the self' dressed up in a slightly magical yet recognisably adult world.

IRREVERISBLE - The most visceral and horrifying film I've seen. Altered my perceptions on the normal 'viewing pleasure' of cinema. Harrowing, nauseating, stays with you for a while. Definitely not a film to enjoy but definitely a unique experience.

SECRETARY - Simultaneously sweet and dirty. A lovely film about the idea that there is 'someone out there for everyone'. Loved the idea of how being submissive necessarily a weakness

THE BELIEVER - Very stagey and maybe a bit too talky, but a powerful examination of self-loathing and internal conflict and a contradictory character played out in a intelligent, articulate but very angry young Jewish neo-nazi.

X2 - a fanboy choice. My FAVOURITE superhero film as well as touching on relevant themes of the outcast, race relations (yes with allusions to homosexuality) all dressed up in kick ass action as well as an ending that panders to my love for sacrifical heroines.

THE EXORCIST - a film that has haunted me for half my life due to never being able to see it. Read more about it than any other film before seeing it and whose production history and analysis has taught me more about the film making process than any other. As well as being a good 'serious' horror film and the reconcilisation of faith. (And for those at PLAY Festival, kick started my interest in doing strange voices)

ALIENS - pure quality blockbuster spectale, kickstarted by love of comics (from reading the spin-off comics) and advanced my drawing ability. Loved the whole mythology (including the other three films) introduced me to HR Giger. Just a quality blockbuster that has stood the test of time. My proficiency with the 'Five Degrees' game can be attributed to trying to link every film to this one...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry but the only evil dead film worth watching is the first one!
City of God should definitely be higher.

Rave - scum, clockwork orange and apocalypse now are all drefinitely worthy shouts biggrin

Sim - Good shout on fight club, that film is amazing!

These are worthy of a mention...
Magnolia
Withnail and I ("Cant you see i'm in the middle of a censored overdose!")
American History X
Kids (truly one of the most disturbing films ever made)
Pulp Fiction

And I dont care how cheesy they are
Friday ("And you know this, maaaaaaaaaaan!")
Human Traffic (pretty much the greatest film ever made about going out, getting trashed and nothing in particular happening)

I'm completely incapable of selecting 10 films for this list.

I am working on a way of letting everyone suggest films and vote for them so we can generate a list on everyones votes. Its going to run alongside the '100 Greatest Things EVER!' list that we've been working on.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Dave - If you enjoyed Irriversible you are a sick sick man!
I was traumatised for weeks. I'll never look at cinematic violence the same way again.

Just suddenly realised the lack of asian cinema...

Ong Bak
Battle Royale
Ring

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Seye

Dave - If you enjoyed Irriversible you are a sick sick man!
I was traumatised for weeks. I'll never look at cinematic violence the same way again.

Kids

Hmmm tongue

That's what I meant about 'Irreverible' and altering the 'normal viewing pleasure'. We are actually agreeing there... I was sickened, horrified disturbed (plus I was stoned when I first saw it, so imagine how much worse it was!).

But I loved it - because of it going backwards, that itself changes the whole idea of storytelling, I loved the fact it made me sick because it reassured me that I was still a human being not desensitised to anything like it and ultimately incapable of such acts (or am I? would I react the same way if something like that happened to someone I care about?)

The rape scene - sick, wrong, the only time in the film when the camera was steady and didn't move at all and doen in one long continuous take. You as the viewer is trapped there, unable to look away, unable to escape - just like a real rape victim. To cut away or make it 'more paletable would be an offense to any rape victim out there...

That is why I love it. It doesn't sugar coat anything, it shows you the full horror of what man is cabable of of and doesn't shy away from it. Making me feel a whole lot better about myself and the people I know. (Sadly though, not the world in general)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Daedalus42newbie
3 posts

Posted:
i really don't think that i can definitively class a top 10 list as there are so many good films out there that i think are great
to name but a few

Fearless
The Abyss
Aeon Flux
Constantine
I, Robot ( not as good as asimov's books but still a good film)
Underworld
Shawshank Redemption (completely out of character with the others i have listed i know but its a great film all the same)

there are plenty more i could list but i am limited in that respect by the fact i cannot actually remember them right now
so obviously they were not as good as i thought they were

When you think the world has turned it's back on you take another look, most likely it's you that have turned your back on the world

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Daedalus42

Constantine

best thing bout this film is the quote

Written by:

forget god
hes just a kid with an ant-farm

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm glad to have seen a Labyrinth in there.

I saw MirrorMask the other night.

oh. my. god.
*drools*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I saw MirrorMask the other night.

oh. my. god.
*drools*

its incredible isnt it,more people need to see this film eek i mite jus watch it again tonite

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Mirrormask, Labrynth and Dark Crystall ina boxset 20 quid at Virgin, get them now biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*drools*

I have Labyrinth and Dark Crystal in a box set from the USA.

Still trying to get MirrorMask for less than $40! eek

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:

Ong Bak
Battle Royale
Ring

Battle Royale nearly made my list, but Ong Bak? OK, the martial arts is good, but the story is absolutely terrible, the acting is atrocious, cinematography is workmanlike at best... Ong Bak 2 on the other hand is a different matter. If we're on asian cinema, how about Oldboy? Absolutely amazing film. smile

Written by: Pyrowill

Mirrormask, Labrynth and Dark Crystall ina boxset 20 quid at Virgin, get them now

Dribble. I'm getting that as soon as possible. Wow. eek biggrin Cheers for putting me onto that, that's why I started this thread! hug

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:

Just suddenly realised the lack of asian cinema...

Ong Bak
Battle Royale
Ring

What about The Vampire Effect, The Eye, Suicide Club, The Seven Swords, and Ju-on.

I'd have to agree on Akira, but the movie is a little hard to follow if you have'nt read any of the manga series.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Violently Tame

What about The Vampire Effect, The Eye, Suicide Club, The Seven Swords, and Ju-on.

I haven't seen any of those, mmmm, more fodder for my eyeballs!! biggrin

Akira is fairly hard to follow, but it still ranks as one of the best anime films I've ever seen. Anyone seen Steamboy? I heard it's great... smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I thought Steamboy was brilliant! My friends didn't think it was so hot (One said it was the Anime 'Wild Wild West'). I but I liked it

(Dodgy Manchester accents aside - even a certain Mancunian Pub makes a cameo in the early scenes)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
some of my favourite films are:

Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Spiderman 1 & 2
Shallow Hal
School of Rock
Anger Management
Happy Gilmore
The Mask
Envy

Basically, ANY studio ghibli film, any comedy with adam sandler, jim carey or jack black! biggrin
There are lots of others but i cant think of them right now hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Dancer in the dark

American History X

Dead man walking

Hearts in Atlantis

Misery

And that's all I can think of right now!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: roarfire

Dancer in the dark

Yay! I'm sure after watching that you might need a few of these hug hug hug hug hug

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PyroWill

Dark Crystall ina biggrin

well done Will wink

BIODOME..

THE best film of all time..no you stoppit you know it is

shhhhhhhhh you're all wrong ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the incredibles (favourite superhero film)

princess mononoke (favourite kids animation)

requium for a dream (ubbcrying)

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (i love charlie kaufman and that wonderful brain of his)

amelie (makes me smile for 90 minutes, guaranteed smile)

miller's crossing (film noir in colour)

brick (film noir for the new century)

old boy (this film is pure vengence on a disc)

clerks (best debut script ever?)

irreversible (even worse than requium but somehow leaves me feeling less of a quivering wreck at the end - the return to innocence lost)

reservioir dogs ("let's go to work")

sexy beast ("hold on, that dude played ghandi?!???!!")

ninja scroll (everything i like about anime in one great film)

shogun assassin (yeah, i know its a hack job - i've seen the whole series but still think this flick rocks the party. 12 members of the wu tang clan can't be wrong - and even if they are, i ain't arguing!)

zatoichi (the new one is simply beautiful biggrin)

waking life (got slated for being either oversimplistic or just plain wrong - mainly by philosophy students who are too far up their own arses to realise that ITS JUST A FILM)

the breakfast club (john hughes is a god)

team america (favourite marionette comedy. erm, maybe that's a clue to stop now...)

pay it forward (makes me cry, but then again so do 'good will hunting' and the 'wedding singer' so i'm probably just a big baby wink)

is that ten yet...? tongue wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I've always wanted to write down a top 10 but never got to it. Well, here we go then:

1. Orca (Fight between a stubborn man and a grieving whale but nothing to do with Free Willy. This is quality!)

2. Midnight Express (Man caught with drugs at airport ends up in Turkish prison.)

3. Hair (Guy during his last "free" days before going to the army ends up with a group of happy hippies. Ok, it's a musical but it's gooood.)

4. Shawshank Redemption

5. Lady Hawk (Fairytale. Couple are cursed; he (Rutger Hauer) lives during the days and changes into wolf at night and she (Michelle Pfeiffer) lives nights, changing into hawk at dawn. Music by Alan Parsons.)

6. Pleasantville (Nowadays teenagers get sucked into a 50ties sitcom and start changing things there!)

7. Bubble Boy (Guy who grew up in bubble makes a runner, in his bubble. Hilarious!)

8. Aladin (Animation)

9. West Side Story (Modern version of Romeo and Juliet. Makes me cry every time!)

10. Finian's rainbow (A leprechaun misplaces his pot of gold and a village almost goes mad with wishes coming true all over the place. With Tommy Steel as the leprechaun and Fred Astaire trying to put things right again.)

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Ooohhhh....this is such a hard one!

1: Can i just put Sam Raimi???? Mainly cos i ubblove Bruce Campbell....and the car....and everything about pretty much every single one of his films! except maybe the grudge...that one was a bit poo in places.

2:Requiem for a Dream

3: Ong Bak and Ong Bak2-TOM-YUM-GOONG you gotta love a man who cares about his elephants AND can whoop ass!

4:The Dekalogs- series of 10 short Polish films if i remember correctly- all absolutely stunning!
heart

5: The breakfast Club- such a classic!

6: L'homme du Train- poignant, dark, subtle and some unbelievably sumptuous cinematography ubblove

7:The goonies- still not bored of watching that film! biggrin

8:American Werewolf in London- still the best human-werewolf morph I've ever seen. clap

9:La Haine- genius- nuff said!

10:Ghost in the Shell....had to get an anime in there somewhere, 2nd one not quite on the same level though i didnt think. shrug

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Irreversible? After all that crap you gave me about not encouraging other people to watch it you still list it as a favourite film?!!!

And it had a happy 'ending' so why all the quivering wreckage?

Dammit! I missed 'Eternal Sunshine!' although to be fair I love the Charlie Kaufman stuff, this one especially, it didn't really change me but was more an accurate reflection of my inner psyche.

The Incredibles NEARLY made the shortlist - yes it IS the best superhero film but X2 is closer to my heart...

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
eekCole!

You stole parts of my list!

An were quicker at typing than i was...

Ah well...at least you have good taste! biggrin

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
"FREEEEEE Mahi Mahi! FREEEEE Mahi Mahi! If you will." - Pauly Shore in Biodome

Bio Dome is class! Total guilty pleasure. wink

OK, I'm gonna put this out there, and probably get laughed at, but.... Hellraiser: Inferno (no 5) was really good. All the fanboys hated it cause "it wasn't a proper hellraiser movie", which was true, but it was a fresh take on a tired concept, and was a true headf**k as well. I thought it had more in common with the first one than any of the others in that it wasn't really about pinhead, he was more an incidental character. Well worth a watch...

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Page: ...