ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Argh, I can't stand this. I've just gotten a couple more shifts at work, aswell as getting a slight pay rise. But now i'm spending loads, I can't help it. This is usualy what happens during my week. I spend about £8-12 a day on cups of tea and flapjacks at my favourite coffee shop, but then sometimes I go a week with only spending £3 a day, but I end up spending about £40-50 on E-bay. I know I can begin saving money, It's just proving a lot harder then I first thought. Anyone else have this problem? I know I should be saving for later life, but I didn't exactly have a very entertaining childhood, so i'm kinda making up for it now by enjoying myself, which includes spending money.
EDITED_BY: Thumperabbit (1144154075)

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I used to.

Then I stopped buying so much...
umm

278 posts

Posted:
I think I buy atleast 1 thing on e-bay every month (actualy i've gotten 2 thigns this morth). I try to have a minimum of £300 in my bank account at a time, right now I got £60.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I used to do that all the time - spend money on stuff that you don't necessarily need.

Personally, having something big to look forward to and save for (My trip to the U.K) you start to be able to control it. I'm such a budget shopper now and I love it, my only indulgence (not really an indulgence, more like a filthy habit) is smoking. And so about AUD$10 goes towards that every 3 weeks or so. (I don't smoke a lot so it takes me a while to get through a packet) So almost every cent that I earn goes towards my trip.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
i guess it is down to self control, my plan was to have a target, for each month, it was realistic, and anymore that I saved I allowed myself to spend on 'stuff' kinda like a reward...

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've come to that realisation now too!
Art college is expensive. Getting new tattoo's and piercings is expensive, feeding myself as I don't like anything that mums cooks is expensive.

Save up all your 2 pound coins. You hardly notice it go out of your wallet and it starts to build up in no time at all.
Also when I come into alot of cash, i.e payday, I put 20 -30 pounds away. It's nto so hard at the begininning of the month but towards the end your have to learn to sretch the extra money towards for a week or so.

At the momant I have 60 quid in the kitty for travel to festivities and entrance to PLAY and stuff.

Keep on saving, it'll be worth it!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
while in work i used to earn £400 a week easy and after payin all my bils for the week the rest was mine to blow on clubbing and partying............since being on the dole i've learned there's more to life than money

278 posts

Posted:
I've asked my mom to start asking me for rent money, that way it gets a bit of weight off her mind aswell as giving me the experience of knowing what it's like to pay bills.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Put some money away every day... let's say you spend an average 8 at the coffee shop, but can make do with 3, so put 4 pounds away every day. Into a box or something, not on your account where you can spend it on ebay tongue

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol im frustrated becuasse my mum refuses to spend money. When she does on the off chance buy something usefull (like a digi cam today) she goes for the ABSOLUTE cheapest she can find, not that one on the next page of the catolouge for an extra £30. The end result is a digital camcarder that ONLY uses tapes...yes you heard me correctly lol. She could have gone too a second hand shop and bought the oldie style ones and spent half of what she did and came out with the same end result.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I learnt the value of money whilst being on the dole too.

Sometimes, I go a little mad, and buy some treats and such.

The best tips I use to "get back on track" are:

- Do online banking, and get an ISA or similar,. Each time you check your balance transfer the odd pounds across. you don't notice it, and it builds up (e.g. say you have £67 in, transfer £7 across)

- Don't take your bank card to work, only have a set amount of cash. That was you physically can't spend anymore than that.

- Make the most of food deals. As long as you can store them, it's worth it! If you see... i don't know, buy 1 get 1 free for baked beans, but wasn't going to buy any that week, buy them!!

- Don't go "cold turkey" and go from spending loads, to nothing. You can't do it. You need to treat yourself sometimes!!

- Save your pennys... literally. I have a big pot with 1p's, 2p's, 5p's & 10p's. Got over £30 in there at the moment to change up.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

7,193 posts

Posted:
sell drugs ubblol

honestly though children, this is illegal and HoP nor i would ever condone this tongue

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
If ebay is your weakness close your account for a set time.....say 6 months and put every penny you feel like spending on it into a saver account. After the 6 months see how much you have saved.

The other tip my dad taught me was to work out how much things cost you in hours worked. It can sometimes be a shock when you do and it makes you think twice about spending £100 on a pair of shoes when you know you have to work a day and a half for them.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
a day and a half... I wish... more likely 22 hours frown

(which is why I buy my shoes in Germany when I visit my parents and my mum agrees I need new ones ubblol)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
get a second wallet and put a certain amount of cash in it each week. never look in, and never count it. just put the money in there and stash it somewhere random... but somewhere you remember of course because that could all end in tears. say... 25 of those L things a week... stupid american keyboards.... no L things... only that stupid S thing that controls my insignificant little life.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Don't go out. Alcohol, club entrance fee's and the taxi there/home are all expensive.

Willy - is bad for your health...

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lemonkey

Don't go out. Alcohol, club entrance fee's and the taxi there/home are all expensive.

my life so far ubblol

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
and don't have a bf with a drug problem
$300 "disappeared" in a week

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I have been saving money since i had my first job at 14 (now nearly 20). I am a bit of a miser when it comes to money and i hate spending it. I take about £20 a week for fun things and spend between £15-20 per week on food. I dont drink alcohol and i dont smoke anything and i dont go clubbing, that saves me ridiculous amounts of money! That is not to say i dont go out because i go out 4-5 nights a week but because i dont drink i dont spend £20 a night, i spend about £5.

Learning moderation with luxuries is a good place to start. From your wages put a set amount away each week/month and set it up as a direct debit then forget about it. Think about spending money in terms of what you *need* and not what you *want*. Presumably you dont *need* a new dvd/cd/thing of ebay every week like you need food?

Write a list of every single thing you spend your money on per week. Then mark out the luxury items. Then halve what you spend on those luxuries and put the rest in a savings account.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Discipline. Give yourself a set amount to spend each week, and if you spend it all by Thursday, tough, if you have some left over, you have more the next week to spend.

If e-bay is a real weakness and you're spending on stuff you want, but not need, stay away for a while, or wait a day before bidding to assess whether you still want it later.

Another good thing is to not consider yourself as having had a raise or whatever; I got a 20% deposit for a house together in less than a year by not spending anything out of my raises. It works.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Get a savings account and set an automatic monthly transfer, for the day after you get your wages. Either save up for something big (like a round-the-world-trip!) or just let it build up for, for instance, when you want to get a place of your own, so you can do it up nicely.

Setting yourself a weekly amount like Eera said is a good idea, too: withdraw it in cash at the beginning of the week and don't touch your account after that. Maybe even give your bank passes etc. to your mum if you're really serious about this?

everyone's unique except me

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i have a credit union account that i can transfer money into by online banking from my usual bank. but i cant access unless i turn up in person. and the place only opens three days a week in the morning when im in work. i put the money away as soon as i get paid too and it works...

i have savings for the first time in my life.... smile

Love is the law.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yeah, i'm really really bad at saving money so i set up an ISA with these loverly people.

as i don't get regular wages (self employed), whenever i get a big lump of money i put away as much as i think i can do without, (normally about a quarter). and i can't get at any of it unless i give a months notice in writing, so it means i'd have to really plan if i wantd to spend it.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

278 posts

Posted:
I have £20 taken out of my account every month as donations to Green Peace and Action Aid. I've noticed that I make sure that I have a minimum of £30 in my account at all times. Prehaps If I do as many of you suggesting, open a Saving Account. According to my calculations I should be making between £90 and £120 a week from my job alone. So if I set up a saving's account that removes about £80 a week every Tuesday for example (as I deposit my money on Monday's). I've found that my main weekness on E-bay is new fire equipment or some form of weaponry. True I won't need them...YET. But I imaging i'll need them one day. As from last week I started giving my mom £10 every week to help with my shopping bill and the phone bill (I live in my mother's house, but my mother lives in a different house, if that makes sense. It's both to help my mom with the bill's and to help me to understand how important it is to keep money for bills.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I had that problem before I was enticed to travel....having a boarder at your house helps save money and also getting a night job for just a couple of nights a week made a HUGE difference to my bank balance...