Forums > Social Chat > Another One Messes It Up

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I just finished working a show with my friend who plays a Mudbegger at Ren Faires most of the year. She was telling me that she worked at a Faire this past summer which had a fire breather who had assured management that he would handle all safety precautions and measures. So, what happened? He did his fire breathing show and blew a hole through the stage canopy. She said that when the stage gets rained on some of the acts can't perform on it so it really messed things up. That faire, and the management group that runs it, will not be hiring ANY fire performers again.
How hard it is really to look up and think "Oh, there is a canopy, I shouldn't do this on this stage." Then request a different stage for safety purposes? I have done this many times and the management LOVES it because it shows concientiousness and responsibility!

Damn it this type of stuff *really* burns me. If a performer can't do fire responsibly, then they shouldn't be doing it at all. Argh!
(can you tell I am more than a bit p.o.'d?)

In another thread we were talking about how the fad of fire seems to be dieing and I for one am glad. Sharing and all that is great but ALOT goes into performing and the fact that so many bhobbyists have not taken the time to really research this fact, and only see it as a quick way to make beer money, and then pull crap like this really reflects poorly on us all in the eyes of non-firies, especially limiting those of us who do make a living off of this.

Please people, be responsible...it isn't only you that you effect!

[ 25. December 2002, 11:11: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Pele
I agree with you 120% with fire performers going beyond their limits of experiance, It does ruin it for those that know what they are
doing .. But everyone makes mistakes and how you handle that mistake is what counts...
Fire comes and goes I think .. fire was around in the fetish scene in Fl couple years back.Then faded out .. then myslef and another person brought it back pretty much at the same time people went nuts doing fire and got it banned from damn near every fetish club in south fl. from just what you said not knowing what the hell they are doing and it pisses me off as well... for some jerk off with no clue
to keep me from doing what i love to do..but thank god these jerkoffs did all of this in a public fourm were everyone could see just how dangeros hey really are..that was just a little over a year ago and just now am i allowed to do fire again in these clubs ok im dont venting now ::;laughs :::::;
Pele on another note i was looking through the net the other night i tripped across a site called Peles fire dancers is that you ??

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Not all performers are as:

a) experienced
b) contientious

as you are.

Dont let these things affect you. Youth and inexperience often make mistakes. That is how we learn. That fire performer probably learned a lesson from it. If they didn't then I do agree that they shouldn't be playing with fire.

BUT you must think also of who taught this person or 'initiated' their fire skills and fire thinking. I was around many pros when I began so safety and awareness has always been important within the performance area although I dont perform. Just try to raise awareness is your own right and show people that safety is indeed important.

I must say that the comment about 'hobbyists' is quite insulting to people like me.

Who for our own reasons dont perform, for money or not. I choose not to perform but that does not mean that I am not contientious because I am not a 'profeshional.' Nor does that mean that I am childish or irresponsible. I take all my hobbies seriously but I dont call them 'jobs' or 'careers' because they arent done for funding nor are they done for any other reason than the fact that I enjoy them, and enjoy sharing what interests me with others.

much love,
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Me, I am a totally proud and happy hobbyist I have no intention of ever performing (okay, I did once, but that was in a big crowd & cos the troupe who was performing trusted me, they put my name on the list of performers & asked me up at the last minute). Not only do I not think I am good enough to perform, but I firetwirl for entirely selfish reasons, just to please myself.

But I do take my hobby very seriously. I am very aware of dangers, of safety, and of my own limitations (another reason why I never wish to perform). There are a lot of us around on the board like this.

But I also know what Pele means. There are a lot of people who twirl with fire twice, in a big park, have a massive amount of fun, and then set themselves up as performers. I say "set themselves up", but really there isn't much setting up that the unwise ones do. The wise ones research insurance, fire regulations, safety, they talk to people who have been there and done that. The unwise ones find a club and ask if they can perform. Then show up on the night without having even looked at the venue before. Not smart.

So here is to all us hobbyists who are proud to be as such ... and bollocks to those other idiots.

[ 26. December 2002, 12:58: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thank you Rozi for understanding. Drome I never said all hobbyists, so there is no need to take it personally. Those who are unsafe should take it personally, as that is how it is meant.

I guess my problem is that it really does effect whether or not I will get future jobs, since this is a venue genre I really enjoy...and I think the lack of safety is truly appalling. I did on the poll that was taken about safety as well.
I don't think hobbyists need to go to an extreme, but I think there still needs to be safety measures. Ah well.....what can I do?
It's seems the more I talk about safety, the more people turn a deaf ear and do what they want anyway.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Heers for the clarification Pele. I have heard that same phrase before and find it quite frustrating sometimes...

I do understand what you are saying but at the same time I have also seen experienced and 'pro' twirlers being unsafe.

Maybe we could make a forum abotu fire safety as it is a concern of many on the site... We could then share our stories in hopes that people would read and get some sence. It would also take some of the bulk out of other threads...

???

love and hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
To those sweet, dear hobbyists out there,

I'm sure Pele didn't mean to offend any of you who don't deserve it. The real issue in her post, it seems, isn't actually one of safety itself, but of people who call themselves professionals acting unsafely and unprofessionally, thereby screwing things up for the rest of us.

For everyone, mistakes and accidents happen. But if you recognize yourself as a hobbyist (or whatever you wish to call it- we've all been one at some point) and make some mistake in your backyard or the park and have at least the capacity to handle the situation, no harm done and you've learned something. But if you're really a professional performing for crowds, mistakes are not okay. That's not to say they'll never happen, but yes, to have no dangerous mistakes or accidents in a show IS the goal.

The audience has to feel safe (yes, even if it's just "rollercoaster safe". You wouldn't really get on those things if you thought there was a chance you could die, would you?) if they're going to come to the show and come to the venue itself. Anything less does your employer a disservice and the rest of the professional community a disservice.

Man, Rick is craaaaanky tonight.

peace and love, y'all.

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp