Forums > Social Chat > You wanna hear some crap?

Login/Join to Participate

Sexy Chickmember
27 posts

Posted:
When I was ten, I had lukemia. I'm 19 now, you know, and my doctor says that i need to stop doing this (poi) b/c "its harmful to my health and you still have a weakend immune system"
Forget HIM

Walking slowly through the rain...Without worries theres no pain...If you see a shooting star...All your problems seem so far.

FoxFiremember
90 posts

Posted:
That sux

So ask him, "if exercise isn't good for me, then how am I supposed to keep myself fit?"

Btw, where in Texas? Probably nowhere near me, though.

[ 20. November 2002, 06:03: Message edited by: FoxFire ]

Deuteronomy 31:6
John 15:9
Luke 6:22

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Surly having something *positive* to focus on would be good for you - I can't exactly understand how poi would be bad for your immune system - unless you are out late at night in the cold and wet inhaling kerro fumes (that I can understand I had a pile o trouble when I was little - I shouldn't stay out in the cold as I get kidney chills so easily - the more infections I have the weaker they get )

But if your doc is concerned it may be an idea to liten to him - maybe try and comprimise with him.. after all poi is good upper body workout stuff.. it's also good cardivas.. so maybe if you talk to him about it and say that it helps you spiritually too you may be able to comprimise - good luck chick

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Sexy Chick,

If you can give me some details, I can run this by one of my best friends (who happens to be a professor of hematology and oncology at the University of Michigan) and check on this.

1) Did you have lymphocytic or myelocycic (ALL or AML) leukemia?

2) Have you been told you're "cured?"

3) Do you remember what drugs they gave you? Did they do a stem cell transplant?

If you can't answer this, call your doctor and ask him for these and then I'll run this by my friend.

But I agree that it sounds like a load of crap.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Never stop just because ONE silly doctor tells you so.

Check the opinion because he might be right but it sounds like a load of crap to me...

I know quite a few people who were told to do lots of things by doctors and years later (knock on wood) they are still here ticking and doing exactly what they were told not to.

Oh and on several occasions the doc dies before the patient...

Good luck to you girl!

Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
doctors often err on the side of caution.
my doctor ( a good man with a heart of gold but the nature of a three legged mouse ) freaked when we discussed fire performing . but every week we see eachother , and he's looked at the burns i've had.

and now he's come around, he just hates it but he accepts it . but so far the biggest warning has come from members of Home of poi.... to everyone!

it is dangerous, you are constantly around fumes, and fire, a burn can become septic very quickly. the concerns the doctor has are not crap, but that doesn't mean you need to listen to him. It's your choice to do as you please ... as long as you realise the further risks of fire performance ( many ) when coupled with a lowered immune system ( many more ) ...

i think it's intersting that when performers say that it is dangerous we all hop up and down to agree with them .. but when doctors/firemen/nurses/parents say it's dangerous we think they are full of bull....

read some of the disclaimers on this webpage..
it is dangerous !!!

but i still like it

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ivan, we're aware that it's risky (not dangerous) but the fact of the matter is that when a doctor makes some absurd claim like "spinning fire is bad for your immune system" that's inappropriate, closed-minded, and bad medicine.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Your right, Mike, if that is the case.

However I don't think we have enough detail here to make that call. We don't know the full diagnosis, and we don't know exactly what his advice was.

I am all in favour of listening to your doctor, rather than dismissing their advice out of hand just cos it is not something you want to hear. If you have doubts about their diagnosis and advice, get them to write it down and then get a second opinion from the other doctor. Remember to take along the first doctors opinion to discuss. The reason for getting the to write it down is because it is so easy for a lay-person to be bamboozled by terminology and to not remember key parts of what is said.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...