laycoxnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hey all im in need of advice.
i got this part in the school play which is a fairly huge outdoor thing and a big deal at my school. Anyway, the play is shakespeare's the Tempest and i'm a spirit that does poi. The doing poi part isnt the issue, the issue is what sort of moves should i do?
its to kinda tribally music that makes u want to prance a bit (if that makes any sense) and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what sort of moves i should do....
thanks heaps,

Laycox, searching for more than this lonely nation weavesmiley

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
wow thats a version of the play i have to see. i'd say split time reels would be good and fountains, but the best advice i can give is do what goes best with the music, if it don't flow it wont go (wow thats going in the sig)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

laycoxnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
ok, wow, what do u mean by reels? sorry mate but it's simple talk for me. I love doing poi but im new to this community and dont overly know names of moves....my bad i really probs should have written that in my opening post doh sorry. Mate thanks for the advice tho im liking the flow, even if it is blatantly obvious but still i'm just searching for general opinion so that i can do my best.

-------------------
Laycox, searching for more than my lonely nation

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Reels (god im so bad at explainging these things) ok easiest reels i have found, your poi are moving in a reverse split time butterfly, then you do a mixture of the low wave and alternate butterfly (look at the free lessons)

so the path for each hand is infront, over the soulder/head, at the hip.

heh yeah it takes a while to pick up terms, i still get baffled by some of the abbreviations and stuff, the FBTB2BBTB i mean come on people!!!!

laycoxnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
sweet thanks heaps mate, i will try and follow what you said and yeah i'll def check out the free lessons

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
I'd say, if you're a spirit, do the slowest things you can. Especially if you're not the main attraction, don't try to be too show-off-y. Simple patterns that you're not likely to mess up on will save you. No hyperloops or any of that stuff.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
hmmm, I would say do the danciest moves you have. You might find it better to go for lots of intricate hand movements if you can.
Can you give us an idea of your ability?
What sort of spirit are you?

Wind: lots of circles and corkscrews, moves that remind you of cyclones, move like a leaf on the wind. Lots of opportunity for variation, like the way the wind blows then slackens

Water: slower and very fluid, every move must be a smooth transition into the next, opportunity for variation between vertical/ horizontal moves BUT must be smooth. The fluidity of the poi is the most important thing here.

Fire: more erratic than the other two, lots of upward stalls to reflect the way flames leap upwards, maybe some stalls out to the side. Quite fast, lots of variation

Earth:VERY SLOOOOOWWW! keep a wide stance, be very static, move the poi as slowly as possible with deliberate movements. Lots of pendulums, isolations (if you can), and other moves where you can keep the poi movement centred around your body.

Hope that helps.
Also look at [Old link]

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
and get someone to video it so we can see!!

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
lazy angel: agree...

use the body a lot and do not concentrate on the poi to much. think alot about how you use your arms, they are important if you want to do a special impression.

ie. wind = long arms waving around.
earth = short arms close to body.

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

laycoxnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
um i dont quite know what type of spirit i am, the cast list states it as a Spirit - Reaper. Im gonna have a look at the tempest later today but i know that i'm doing a scene where i am a blazing fire on a ship which is gonna be strange cause as i found out this morning the school wont let me use fire poi so i have to use my glo-poi which one is green and the other blue, i might have to try wrapping red selefane around em for that scene...Rehearsels havent started yet so nothing is concrete about styles but im grateful to all who have posted your comments cause they are great. I most definately will get it filmed and try and post it up for ALL TO SEE, lol....it should be interesting...sadly not till next year tho. First term in melbourne so sometime during February. Thanks all biggrin

laycoxnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
oh and in reply to my skills, redface not so great sadly, but i am putting in effort to improve heaps so yeah....basically i can do 3&5 beat weaves and butterfly's and some other simple stuff. But im gonna use this play as motivation to really get my skills down pat...I'm traditionally a staffer and have only been doing poi SERIOUSLY for a month or two...thanks again to all

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Izolation nad Anti spinnig they are incredibble smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
haha yes richee.
isolations and antispins are awsome....do isolations and antispind:D
why dont you do staff then?...well...i suppose poi is more spiritish but still:D

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
'The Tempest' is my favourite play by Shakespeare. I assume you will be playing Ariel, who is an airy, gentle, feminine sort of spirit that is under the command of a magician named Prospero. There is a lot of magic in the play, and the island it is set on is a very eerie, magical, tropical kind of place with lots of spirits playing around on it. I think that you should definitely try to read or watch a version of the play first to get some ideas for what to do with the poi. I'd recommend using streamer poi as I think they would suit Ariel's character best. If your poi skills are still in the beginner stage, then I'd suggest you just do basic stuff like reels, butterflies and things like that - lots of body and arm movements, as other people already suggested. Good luck! I think that character will look awesome doing poi, you'll definitely have to get some footage of it on video!

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
okay heres a good dancey move (if you can do turns):

do butterfly in front of you, and then split one arm to the side and turn 90 degrees so that one poi is spining forwards and the other backwards then do a low turn with the poi that is turning forwards and a high turn with the poi that is spinning backwards you can then repeat this and continue to turn 360 (in a complete circle)

i and sorry if this is too difficult, but it would be a really good one for what you're doing, low and high turn videos are in the Free lessons section if you need them

best of luck with this, it sounds like it is going to be an awesome show

P.S. Flags, or flag poi are very good for shows an would probaly match your character, if you can get a hold of some

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Poi_Romember
55 posts

Posted:
hey laycox have u done the show yet?

Danny

Thats Mr Poi-ro!
Qualified SCUBA Diver.. Not worked out how to fire spin and dive at the same time yet.. grr