Forums > Social Discussion > Things getting stolen. (rant)

Login/Join to Participate

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
[open rant\] Today I woke up, and openned my curtains to find that most my plants had been stolen off my balcony. I wouldn't have been too bothered if it weren't for the fact that one of the plants happened to be a bonsai, worth £30. I had wanted a bonsai all my life and when I finally got one I was really chuffed, and treated it a bit like my baby (yeh, yeh, I know I need to get a life but that isn't the point). I've only had it a few months. But why are people so nasty. They stole my flatmates pumpkin the other day, I bought her a new one as a present, and we made sure we kept them inside. But I thought my plants would be Ok as the balcony is high up and would take at least 2 people to climb up, and lift it over the top.

Two days ago, another one of my friends, was mugged on his way in to uni, they pushed him over on the escalator in rush hour and grabbed a wallet and cheque book from his bag. They managed to get £400 pounds on his credit card before he could put a stop on it (1 hour), but luckily, a shop wouldn't accept the cheques, and they ran off. My friend wasn't really hurt, just a few scratches, but was already struggling for money, and has enough problems already (his mum is very ill), without this.

I feel like crap now, just for the sake of a plant. I know it won't be looked after properly and probably die. Today I really hate Glasgow. [close rant]

EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1130076581)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I know how you feel hug
people will just steal stuff for the sake of stealing. I used to have a bike which i kept in the communal hallway in my flat which i had chained to a handrail. One morning I woke at 5am - for no particular reason, so i went back to sleep. The following morning I was on my way out and the bike and the handrail had gone! I knew the culprits were guys and I knew they were friends with the girl in the flat opposite as they kept trying to to come into my flat late at night.
I asked the girl opposite about the theft and she tried to say she knew nothing about it, then she slipped up saying they were trying to come in at 5am but she didnt want them to and didnt answer the door - so they said they were gonna take her bike...
Obviously she knew it was mine and why she didnt stop them I dont know - either she was scared of them (which i doubt as they're always round there) or she was in on it.
Oh and they just happened to carry a philips head screwdriver around with them at 5am huh?
She moved out a few years ago thank god - i was glad to see the back of her skanky, chavy leisure suit!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
you say you should get a life (for treating the plant like a baby) but I think they should get a life who the f**k steals plants... its not like you can sell them on the black market, can you imagine it "wanna buy a plant *guy opens up his coat and has rows of trees in the lining*"

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
On the subject of crap theft, someone stole my iPod charger, but left my iPod. Does that make sense to anyone? All it's done is annoy the hell out of me!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

nazgobBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I apologise in advance forn the following - i need to let off some steam.

Last weekend my house was broken into in the early hours of the morning, my girlfriend and myself threatened, and all for the sake of what? We both lost our phones, hers broken, and mine due to be replaced (i had in fact ordered a replacement). She lost her ipod. Again broken. I lost my wallet, which, after cnacelling all the cards meant that id lost a grand total of 15 pounds. Not amused.
'
The amount of stress and effort involved in reorganising my life is enormous, far far more than the size of theft could warrant. The biggest upshot of which is that my housemates (none of whom were there) and i have had to move house. I have to replace all the cards in my wallet, and ive lost photos on my phone, including the video of a friend spinning fire, the first time i ever saw it done.

For me it was not the theft that was painful, but the manner in which it was occurred; being threatened in your own bed is not something i would wish on anyone, and the costs to me, financially and psychologically that were caused by the crime.

As i said earlier, ifelt the need to blow off steam, and your thread spoke to me.

Mike

Spielkind and proud of it!

inosSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:

I do not know... what is going on here??? Non of my friends in Germany got mugged or broken into the there house. I never heard that somebody would climb on to a balcony to steal some plants???? How sick is that? I had some bonsais when some time ago, they are beautiful and these people do anyway not care about them.

I do not want to bitch about England, because London is a cool city to live. But since I arrived here 2 years ago, they broke into my car at broad daylight to steal my 10 pounds worth radio, stolen my cover up from my Vespa, demolished my car... I lived in Finland half a year, I felt 100% safe. All my friends male and female felt 100% safe ar any day and night time in Helsinki. I miss this feeling sometimes...

Hey nazog... you do not have to apologies!

crappy poier.... its always the paraffins fault...

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
Treating a plant like your baby sounds normal, well normal to me who treats his plants like babies. Maybe they climed up to break into the place and couldn't get in and realised that a bonsia had some value and took it? or they are just a-holes who want to annoy you by taking your plants every couple weeks.
Being threatened in your own bed sounds terrifying! Is that common?
My uncle told me that the other morning he woke up and went to get the paper from the front drive, when he noticed some of his pavers missing. Then a guy walked up and said he had them, the night before someone had come and stolen the pavers, gone 4 houses down the road and used them to jack up a car and steal the tyers and rims off it. This was done under their carport which is next to their house. There were sercuirty lights but they cut all the wires and they were deadly silent.

Do we sleep when we die?

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
There was a case a few years ago that I've never been able to forget and this thread and I feel compelled to share:

A couple of men mugged an elderly lady and beat her to death in order to get to her handbag. They left with $14.20.

People sicken me.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

nazgobBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I dont know if its common or not dragonfury, and i hope that it isnt. But apparantly, violent crime in Britain is on the decrease (blame the independent for that stat, not me), while oppurtunistic crime is sky rocketing. Thats what worries me. The fact that more and more people see an oppurtunity and take it, regardless of the cost to anyone else.

I am concerned about the state of humanity when more and more people lack the moral capacity to hold in check their most base urges and desires, seem to do anything to fulfill them, and then laugh about the hurt they have just caused.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Got my purse stolen last year frown I wasn't too upset about the money (about 40 pounds, and they didn't crack the codes on my cards before I reported them stolen), but I had to go through all the trouble to get a new German id card in Britain (impossible... had to get a temporary passport and wait till I was in Germany), driving licence, etc frown

One of my friends in Dublin said "this is a nice living area. You can tell because the flowers are still in the gardens and not pulled out or trampled to death". I don't understand that... stealing a purse at least makes sense if you're a druggie or want money for something else, but why take it out on plants!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Written by: nazgob

I apologise in advance forn the following - i need to let off some steam.

Last weekend my house was broken into in the early hours of the morning, my girlfriend and myself threatened, and all for the sake of what? We both lost our phones, hers broken, and mine due to be replaced (i had in fact ordered a replacement). She lost her ipod. Again broken. I lost my wallet, which, after cnacelling all the cards meant that id lost a grand total of 15 pounds. Not amused.
'
The amount of stress and effort involved in reorganising my life is enormous, far far more than the size of theft could warrant. The biggest upshot of which is that my housemates (none of whom were there) and i have had to move house. I have to replace all the cards in my wallet, and ive lost photos on my phone, including the video of a friend spinning fire, the first time i ever saw it done.

For me it was not the theft that was painful, but the manner in which it was occurred; being threatened in your own bed is not something i would wish on anyone, and the costs to me, financially and psychologically that were caused by the crime.

As i said earlier, ifelt the need to blow off steam, and your thread spoke to me.

Mike

I know how you feel, my purse got pick poketed and i lost my phone not long ago and I was surprised by how much i relied on them and the stuff in them... i hardly ever talk to a lot of my friends now because my phone had all the phone numbers in its phone book

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Dude this sucks...

I have luckily (currently knocking on wood) never been in this type of situation... Except once in 2000 when my parents and I went on holiday home and came back to our home in London to find that some ass had robbed our house.

Turns out the landlord whose office was like three doors down leaves the keys to all his properties next to the door with tags that have the addresses so any opportunist who walked in his office had come into our house and looked around... They dumped my parents things on the bed and didnt really take anything of value... our stereo and amplifier were pulled from the wall downstairs but I guess they got interrupted somehow and left taking ony a few of my dad's suits and some useless shite... You know it sucks they took a custom made suit that was about ten years old and had my dad's name in the pocket inside... I mean how rediculous can u be...

My mother had a ring worth about 5,000 squid in her underwear drawer but they didnt go near her underwear... What a pity they missed the only jackpot opportunity there was int he whole house!

Sorry this turned into a rant... I have had something like this happen I just remembered!

Cuddles love light and respect
you know karma will get these people
energy administers lessons needed in order to learn, its all meant to be and sometimes [censored] happens
hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: DragonFury

Maybe they climed up to break into the place and couldn't get in and realised that a bonsia had some value and took it? or they are just a-holes who want to annoy you by taking your plants every couple weeks.

I doubt they realised its value, its only a wee one, and they took two other plants that are worth nothing, one a heather, the other a hardy flowering one, they left me one of each of those (I only had one bonsai). I don't think they tried to get in, my balcony is tiny, there is only room for plants, its too small to really stand on. I'm sure I would hav woken as I am a light sleeper (but I had earplugs in, but still can hear people knocking on the door etc.).

So they basically just stole it for the sake of it. It's a sick world we live in, when people go out of their way to make other people miserable for no other reason.

I've had stuff like my bike stolen before, but this really annoyed me as it was something sentimental, only of value to me and noone else.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lost83spyBRONZE Member
Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!
587 posts

Posted:
I'm from South Africa. Enough said.

My house has been robbed once, I witnessed a hijacking and a purse being stolen from a car, been followed while driving so that they could hijack me, and was involved in a house robbery which ended in a shootout.

The worse was the shootout. It was 9pm on a Monday. They walked in to my neibours house to take stuff, my neibour screamed and my family and I came rushing out to see what was wrong. This resulted in us seeing them run down the street, us getting shot at, my sister's boyfriend chasing them down the street in his car and getting his back tires shot out. They started running back towards our house and tried to get in! I must say I have never ran so fast in my life! After a struggle, their getaway car arrived and they disappeared down the street.

And all they took was a DVD player!

*Puts on sarcastic voice*
This is all thanks to our wonderful and fantastic government who would rather spend millions to change a lousy suburb name than to sort out our country's crime problem! angry

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I found my iPod charger... it was tolen by a drunk friend of mine as joke. He found it in his room today and came crawling back, apologetic as hell...

Ah well... at least he came back!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

nazgobBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Lostspy, i just cant come to comprehend how any of that felt. For me, it was bad enough that people were willing to threaten and steal, but to shoot, or carjack? And to experience it!

Coming to terms with what happened to me (only happened a week ago) is difficult, and i wish i hadnt said the worst part was the stress of putting your life back together... I ommitted the full details of what happened, trivialised it as a defence mechanism.

Many people think that the worst part of theft is that you lose things. They always ask "did you lose much". Few pepople can comprehend that the damage caused to your mind is worse. Items can be replaced, but thats nothing compared to what happens in your mind. Sure replacing my credit cards, and changing house is stressful, but my mind replays those terrible five minutes with absolutly no prompting. How many people could even imagine your brain replaying something at random intervals during the day?

To be honest, probably most people. Think of how your mind just wanders, images of sex, or what you want for tea. Except instead of sex you see a hooded man holding a knife at your girlfriend, and instead of food you can hear the smash of glass, or see your bedroom door being kicked open.

I realise that people who do these things do it for 'kicks' or for money or for whatever reason. But i do not believe that anyone who exdperienced what i experienced would visit it upon another human being. Currently im thinking that deterrence is far better than punishment, and my thought is that when the police find these guys, they should organise someone to break into their house while thyre asleep, shout at them, threaten them, steal their phones. Make them scared of their own home. Maybe then these three indiviuals would think twice before repeating their performance.

Im sorry to anyone i offend by this view. I apologise to anyone i offend full stop. Ordinarily i am of very liberal politics, but currently i am angry. I just wish that people could know the consequences of their actions. I know that part of punishment for the perpetrators can be to meet with their victims, in the hope that they would understand the harm they caused. But realistically, the guys that broke into my house would just laugh as they did when they left my house, leaving the front door swinging in the breeze.

Imagine your typical angry teenager. Picture the gang. Hoodies. Torn jeans. Big dogs. Lager. Drugs. Leather and chains. Gold chains and skinheads. Attitude. Heavy metal. Rap.

How many of these kids can be persuaded to remain inside the bounds of law. How many of these kids do you think are able to comprehend the harm done by a burglary. Or by intimidation. How many find it funny to be 'hard' or to scare those that walk past them.

Would any of them care unless they experienced it first had?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with you. It's a sad day when it's difficult to instill morals in the people who do this kind of thing, and i was wishing there was some way of making them understand, exactly how it feels like to be threatened, or things of sentimental value to be stolen for no reason, just to be thrown away. But the problem is its all a game to them, they live in a very different world to everyone else, where the gang rules, and threatening behavouir is a way of life, whether threatening other members of the public or other gangs, or being threatened by other gangs.

I saw a program arguing that the decline of morals is strongly linked with the decline of religion. Although I'm not relgious myself, and wouldn't want religion to be forced on me ( during my childhood it kind of was), I can't help agreeing that becaus the teenagers only have themselves to answer to, and no strong moral guidence, they don't care in the same way.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

nazgobBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Pricklyleaf, thought id tell you ive started a thread on exactly the subject that you raised - decline of society and whats to be done. Bit pretentious i admit but...

tom2BRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
it makes me ill to think that people can be that utterly brutal nowadays i mean what is a normal person who doesnt understand bonsai going to do with a bonsai ??? i know how hard they are to look after and you do become very attached to them (ive had a couple) grrrrrr