Forums > Videos > My First Poi vid aaaah im scared!

Login/Join to Participate

Surgenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
hey guys!

I'v been doing poi less than 3 weeks, but after everyday of training, 30 hits in the face, 50 hits on my body and 10 times in the groin area, reading two books and watching a DVD i'v finally started get to grips with my Poi's hehe

the video is not great, it just shows me doing the butterfly and a dodgy looking wave (not sure if im doing it right or not lol) but the effort is there...

any feedback would be great.....

Thanks smile redface

https://www.zippyvideos.com/1457225201051906/poi_video_0001/

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: Surge

10 times in the groin area

only 10? you must be doing well for just a few weeks of spinning biggrin

gonna go DL the vid and get back to ya..

[edit] You might wanna edit that video title a little bit cos you spelt laugh 'Laught' (I get a habit of sticking 't's after 'gh's as well...must be a common thing)

The weave's smooth and butterfly's also good, so I can't really fault that really...now try doing stuff like over-the-head butterfly or start learning turns i guess (unless you got that already).
EDITED_BY: thelost_seraph (1125869153)

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Surgenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
oh bugga didnt see that!! aaaawell! I cant edit it, because I cant take it off there server todo it! grrr!

thanks for the feedbak! yeh im trying todo turns now..but my body keeps going into spazz mode when I cant see my poi's... help
EDITED_BY: Surge (1125869803)

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
If you're doing turns and you're not sure, do it one at a time and look at the 'free lessons' section for the low turn or something. that'll give you a starting point on timing and when you should make the turn. weavesmiley

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
nice smile So that's what people refer to when they talk about the tail on the pois?

Very well done! Bravo smile Now you've got the first video jitters out of the way, looks great.

Is that your yard? That's a cute little spot of green.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Yeah, tails are just bits of fabric that hangs off the poi and it looks nicer as it's flying...hard to use though because they usually get caught while you're doing stuff like butterflys...plus you can't do airwraps etc which needs the poi to tangle...

That reminds me. You should think about making sock poi, because they'll help you learn new tricks easier.

Bit off topic but since you're new, might as well add a little advice tongue

Have fun!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Alright mate firstly nice video, the colour was good and i loved how bright the tails looked!

Constructive criticism:
I've noticed with a lot of newbies who learn a weave and think they are doing the proper one (3beat is the common one) that they are only doing a 2 beat weave, which is what your doing, not that the 2 beat weave is bad, you use it in a waist wrap which is an advanced move! so are you aware your doing a 2 beat weave? i would advise learning a 3 beat weave as it looks MUCH better and opens you up to many more moves!

Thats most of the criticism i can give really, i like how you move around a bit, thats what i dislike most about ppl when they spin that they always look so rigid yet you mvoe around, thats nice, i find that if you move around while spinning u can make even the most simplest moves look much better!!
hope this helps, keep learning mate
hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
wow will actually gave some useful feed back

nic vid well lit and nice cam angle that is the first mistake most people make.

you seem to be progressing along nicely will is right you need to move onto 3 beat weave now

(this is prob not helpful but try to do an extra rotation of the poi on your right hand side. you see how your left hand is always on top when you move from left to right if you let that left hand poi do an extra rotation on your right hand side so your right hand is on top when you cross back form right to left)

this prob makes no sense but try keeping you poi on one your right till you get all tangled (get used to this feeling) give it a go it may work???????????

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
could you upload the video to youtube please (i know its a while ago but im about 3 weeks into poi aswell now)

cheers

postingalwayspostingBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
wow surge that great, i am having a problem with my tails grrr, i want to cut them off but i love them soo much frown just ordered some socks, i live in hope.....

great vid though your seem to have mastered the basics, onwards and upwards from here ubbloco
EDITED_BY: postingalwaysposting (1155940575)

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
(looks at you) I have seen this befor....google it yes ... you did great smile

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool