WOOOOOT biggrin go malcolm smile we love you ubblove

i think it will make a difference and its not as though they count for much

back

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Heh,

Thought I noticed something screwey with the post count earlier wink

To be honest, the post count didnt mean much to me anyway, (yeah, so I made a few wooohooo Post number x, but only cos I was bored wink )

But for others who see post counts as a status symbol, I think this is a good plan.

Yes, I think so.

hug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
i didnt even notice hehe

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
It bugs me a little because I use it as a method of figuring out how much a person has been around and if I should know them. Granted its a range thing- the basic catagories are under 10, under 50, and over 3000- but if this helps i'm for it I guess cause its been a problem, and its just a little clicky work for me. (Its nice to know if its someone's first post tho, make em feel welcome and all).

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

It bugs me a little because I use it as a method of figuring out how much a person has been around and if I should know them.

Thats the reason it has to go, see?

You cant use it to judge people, it doesn't make sense...

Someon with little knowledge of anything could just post in social chat and get a crapload of posts, while somone with little posts may be far more knowledgeable

shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think that's a very home of poi thing to do....

I think it presents a more all things even atmosphere like the HOP drawing where the toys are outside the circle and everyones equal around the fire. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
nice one

ture na sig

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
It's not a bad idea, but it's defiantely a "user beware" kinda of thing. Harder to see who's got the "good" ideas and who doesn't. But, hopefully, common sense will prevail. "Yeah, a first time spinner should go straight to fire tricks." will, hopefully, send up red flags.

I've been away for a while, has there been a lot of post-whoring going on?

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lmao just an ickle bit mr socks

back

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Oh, thats not what I mean FRD! But if its someone's first or second post I know I shouldn't know who they are and that I should make some attempt to welcome them.

If they're still low on the count and I don't know who they are, its excusable generally- so I don't have to go berate myself- but I can also figure out what they've been posting in to get a sense of them as a person. If they have some intermediate number of posts (50-3000), I've usually run across them enough, (or can see them as the last poster in social chat all the time....), or I know I might actually have to put some work into figuring it out. And figuring out why I don't. And if its over 3000, I know they have too much time on their hands.

Like someone recently posted a bunch of random stuff in social discussion and I didn't remember seeing them around, but I was able to quickly deduce from a low count that this wasn't just my ignorance and a trip to the profile told me what else they'd been up to and it was over. Now its a lot more work if I want to figure out who someone is, if they don't particuarly inspire me I'll possibly not bother. Just figure I've not been paying attention (or figure wrongly that they're new to "not lurking") and not bother about it.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I didn't notice, which shows just how important it was to me..

I think both member number and post count, both to differnet degrees in certain members, give a good represetnation of how much knowledge a person has of the forum type thing.
Therfor I think it's a good idea to keep post count on profile for those really interested.
erm..yeh. I'll come back tomorrow when im less tired..

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
hadn't noticed either but clap clap clap clap
for you....very good idea!!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Kyrian I know what you mean but the date someone joined can be helpful with that. Number of posts doesn't neccessarily relate to how long someone's been on HOP. In fact I believe removal of post count should reinforce this idea... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i think more than anything it was pointless - its not really a needed piece of information - just an interesting way of finding out how much time someone has on their hands

when i last checked my post count was about 1800

and im ashamed to say ive only been here since march : go figuer tongue (and for those of you who are being lazy - yes i do have too much time on my hands)

back

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea. But then how do you know who to trust with proper infomation! I mean some newb could come on and say something like [Old link] ubblol and you'll be none the wiser wink

No serious, when i originally joined, they only way to tell who was actually trying to help and was trustworthy was to see the post count. But that was when people use to post proper information, not random bullshit.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I didn't notice either till I read this thread.

I lurked for a week or two before signing up so got a good idea of who was who before I started posting but I think after a few visits you get to know who the "trustworthy" people and even some of the newbies can have bright ideas although some of us seem to want to do daft things like set fire to ourselves...

If someone links to either something that is in the articles, lessons or another thread then you can generally tell that they know what they're talking about. And if they generally respond to a lot of the threds in the tech, moves or help forums then I take a lot of notice of them. Thats not to say that I ignore everyone else though...

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
when you joined doesn't nesc mean anything tho, people lurk, or don't post for years (like our good doctor!) or whatever. plus it always confuses me as I start thinking its the date of the post they just made.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
it confused me at first but its a good idea

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I think its a good idea too smile

I know people are saying they wont know who is knowledgeable and who isnt, well i think thats given from the date they registered more from post counts, cos last time ic hecked the word association game doesnt increase your knowledge on spinning. There are a few ppl i know who have 2000+ posts who i wouldnt really ask for any kind of advice and theres a few who have around 500 who i would muchr ather ask advice for anyway, i say keep ti how it is now with it not on the immediat display

In the end if you want to know how many posts someone has check on their profile

Malcolm good idea mate, could you keep iot on the profile though just not on the immediate forum display

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
to me, postcounts indirectly indicate how invested someone is to the forum, at least in terms of time.

But to know someone's online persona is such a unique way to learn.
So disconnected from the immediacy of speaking!
So divorced from the illusion of personal appearances!

(personally i would prefer a 'number of times llama has appeared on their posts' count)

ps llama are bigger than frogs.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
i like knowing how active a person has been on HoP, with people i recognise i don't look at their count, cos i generally have an idea of how active they are. but with people i don't know, i tend to look at their reg date and count. but if i'm really wanting to know i can just look at their profile, so it's not like it's an issue for me.

i think it's a good test though to see what affect it does have. it'll be interesting to find out.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I neither think it's a good idea nor a bad idea.

But I think it's an interesting idea.

Let's see what happens.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
the post count has gone...? oh yeah so it has lol
*is in her own li'l world. a world of lovin' and spinnin'* biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dragon7

Yea. But then how do you know who to trust with proper infomation! I mean some newb could come on and say something like [Old link] ubblol and you'll be none the wiser wink

Just because someone has been here for longer does not mean they do things right, if you have a honest saftey question search for a thread or if its urgent ask a mod. Becides ive been here for aages and ive only got like 600 i think their fore post counts only indicate how many times you post nothing else..

mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
post counts are overrated, i didn't even notice mine had gone

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
YAY!

But how will I know who's right in a discussion if I can't see their post count? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
ditto

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
look at the member number? Mine is higher than yours tongue

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: flid

post counts are overrated, i didn't even notice mine had gone

if thats the case why change your avatar to show the post count confused

Doesnt bother me in the slightest, and as for all the "how can we tell if what they are saying is credible milarky" WTF, there are people on these boards that have only posted factual intesresting posts who have been around for years, then there are those "chatters" that have been here a few months who have higher post counts......

So that theory is rubbish biggrin

ubbrollsmile

Removal works for me smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
you're no fun tongue

Page: