PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I was recently looking over the results of the new poll posted on the home page asking whether or not people have performance insurance, and what I saw was rather disturbing.
However, before I get emotional over it, I want to ask, especially to those who answered "NO", is it because you don't perform at all and so therefore have no need? I am simply trying to figure out the logic as to why a performer would continue to perform fire without insurance.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I think it is because it can be pretty hard to find insurance in some places. or they only spin fire at gatherings etc. and are not being paid for it etc. and so therefore do not feel the need for insurance. or they just don't have the money

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

flowingchaliceBRONZE Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hi there,

Just wanted to add that I answered "no", but I don't consider myself a performer. I do fire with friends and don't do anything professionally at all. If I was to do that at some point I would definitely try to soprt some insurance to cover myself/audience etc.

Do people get insurance even if they don't perform? Just curious... incase you end up whacking an innocent googler for instance... not that i ever would

Excuse the sideways mood///

Who looks outside dreams; who looks inside wakes C G Jung

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Hi,
I don't think that many people who casually spin will have insurance.
Should they have it? Depends if they feel the urge to be "safe".
If a person is being paid, or is in an organised public show; then I feel that they should be insured.
As I've just posted on the Help! notice board (sorry, not tech enough to do the HERE thing)..
if you're in the UK, Dixon Chalmers do a very reasonable £75 Street Performance inc. Fire £2million cover policy.
Safe spinnin'!

[ 23 October 2002, 11:07: Message edited by: Knoxious ]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've never done a paid performance, or any real performance for that matter so I never really saw the point of getting insurance on the off chance that one day i might need it.

If any one ever shows an interest in seeing me spin then I'll look into it.

Meh

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i also dont perform. i'll spin for friends or family, but never a proper audience.... *shrug*

Currently on the right side up of the world.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I chose the 'Don't perform with fire' option in the poll.

I do spin with fire, but only ever with friends, and fairly rarely, so I've never really seen the need for insurance.
If I start spinning fire every few days, as opposed to every few weeks or months like I do now, I'll be thinking about getting public liability cover just in case.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I spin fire nearly every day - but only in my back yard.. the olny audience I have is the little 5 year old girl from the flat upstairs...

When (and if) I ever start to spin for audiences - I will be getting insurance.. I suppose I should get some now - just in case - just can't aford it at the mo..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I have never done a paid performance so I've never had insurance.

When we (strugz, stix and I) performed at the glastonbury festival we got the Dixon Chalmers insurance that Knoxious mentioned and were covered by the festival. That ran out and I haven't needed to renew it.

If I'm going to start performing in public I will renew that insurance as it is well worth it. But I'm not performing now, and not covered.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
What constitutes a performance tho? Is it the fact that you get paid or that you are entertaining people? If so I reckon we would all need insurance to 'perform in public' - for expample PIP - we had people coming to watch.. little kiddies getting up quite close.. and my lot do quite a lot of impromptue 'practises' where people we don't know stop and watch.. (mostly the town drunks - but audience still the same)

How far does the insurance go? It's public liabilty.. does that cover people or just property? I seem to remember that it just covered property (but I could be wrong) .. so it's ok to burn down a shed.. but burn someone in the crowd.. what happens then.. me thinks I need to investigate..

[ 23 October 2002, 23:50: Message edited by: Stix ]

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I just spin for friends, and for myself. And I feel that I use proper saftey precautions (damp blanket, spotter, always wet hair or wear hat). I don't breathe or eat because it scares me, and because I'm too poor and too young to have life/hazard insurance.

But anyone the breathes or eats that dosen't have coverage is temping the fates IMO.

[ 24 October 2002, 04:23: Message edited by: N8 ]

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
N8 - you actually take more precausions than me.. that good thinking! I used to go everywhere with a fire extingusher.. can't be bothered any more.. but I'm thinking of investing in a fire blanket.. however I used to wear a hat.. don't any more - I used to have long hair.. don't any more... I've had it all hacked into and short and messy.. so if I do burn it - it won't show..

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
i dont have insurance, but i dont perform. how does one go about getting insurance? am i ok without it if im not performing??

jaidendawnmember
38 posts

Posted:
ok,
I answered yes because I have personal insurance. I do performance though and haven't gotten any insurance to protect the crowd or venue. Hmmmmm...I need to look into it. Does anyone know any cheap policies in the US?

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Most of the government ones - lol

Errrm no insurance, no performances, didn't answer the poll, just thought I'd drop in and say hello.

"Hello"

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey there smallboy! Much love to you!

My insurance covers the audience and venues, but I do alot of performing. In fact I rarely spin fire if I am not performing.

For those interested in getting insurance, please use the search function, as the topic has come up gads in the past.

For those who don't perform but use ample safety...Great on you! For others who don't use safety I would like to gently encourage you to, as it protects not only everything around you in a physical sense, but can also help if the law were to show up.

Thanks for the honest answers. I really appreciate it. It helps to clarify much about the poll in my mind.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
We just dont have the money...when we spin in clubs we use lights...do we need insurance for that or not or are we covered by the club's insurance?

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIRE:
We just dont have the money...when we spin in clubs we use lights...do we need insurance for that or not or are we covered by the club's insurance?
There is less chance of something happening with just using lights. As for if the club's insurance will cover you, that would probably depend on the contract you sign.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
My count for no is because I don't perform professionally! If I did performances regularly, I would definately look onto insurance.

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
insurance is betting that something bad will happen to you

however having said that

we do have insurance because

1. something bad could happen
2. you can't perform in some places without it

it works out to about a buck twentyfive a day
thats a cup of coffee .. not too shabby

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !