Forums > Social Chat > question regarding staff

Login/Join to Participate

Just_Curiousmember
39 posts

Posted:
Can someone who spins staff do me a favour and measure how big the grip stuff in the middle of the staff is? I'm trying to make a "make shift staff" until I can get a real one. Thanks, Aly.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." -Albert Einstein.

"... the moon is pushed around the sky by a goblin named Wilberforce."

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
You mean how long it is or how thick the staff is where the grip is?

Incidently I think you can make either what you want them to be to suit your own style/comfort. biggrin

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
depends on the size of your staff dude..... but generally id go somewhere between 20 and 30cm biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
depends how big your stick is. wink my grip is about 35-40 cm but vlad is very large.
biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
you also need to consider the fact that you dont want your grip burning, so keep the ends of the grip clear of the head if possible.

my grip is about 35cm too

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i made a practice staff the other day {out of a broom handle and ducttape] and one thing id keep in mind is the circumference, dont let it get to big because that can make finger spins harder to learn, otherwise this is a matter of personal preference, but make sure you use something grippy for the grip

peace
Lyra

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Just_Curiousmember
39 posts

Posted:
Yeah that's what I'm doing. Broom handle and duct tape. I don't mean how thick, I mean how long. As in, length. Broom handle is about 4ft something. I dunno, I'm 5ft 2 and it comes up to my shoulder. Go figure.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." -Albert Einstein.

"... the moon is pushed around the sky by a goblin named Wilberforce."

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
i haven't got a grip. should i have one? confused

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Every staff I've ever seen has different grip. I'd say it needs to be a big as possible without getting too close to the wick (if you're talking fire staff that is).

I have a friend who uses bicycle inner tube for the grip on his staff.

I also met a guy at a party a few weeks ago who had a flowerstick and handsticks covered in inner tube.

Its extremely grippy but be careful of any arm hair when attempting contact moves eek