Forums > Social Chat > Ever figure out a new move in the oddest of places??

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I was drug shopping this weekend by my woman. We ended up in Old Navy (clothes store here in the States). She took about 10 lbs of clothes in the dressing room to try on. So im just milling around and i am checking out this display of dog/pet stuff. They have little beds, food bowls, mats, andchew toys. One of the chew toys is a rope about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. A loop on one end, and a ball about 3 inches in diameter on the other. It was God-sent..it had to be.I pulled two off and stood in a back corner and started spinning. I was getting a pretty smooth butterfly down, when i crossed my arms over during a beat, and started threading the needle for the first time. For some reason i have always hit myleft arm on the second beat. I was estatic..then i got into it a little more and started doing weaves and corkscrews.My fiance walks up behind me..i didnt see her cause i was all into it. "People are starring at you..stop it" Sure enough i had a small little audience of about 4 people looking on from beyond the clothes racks. I guess i did look a little foolish, but it was worth it..chalk up another move on the list. Now i have to figure out how to combo it smoothly...oh yeah..i bought two of those dog toys, a red a and a green one.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Congrats and I hear ya.I went with the bf to one of his trucks rallies and I am left to set up for the picnic portion while he talks it up...pulling out the blanket and table cloth. Both were light and folded over and made perfect flags.Set up a tent for the first time, waiting for the boys to figure out the directions were in another language, I was holding a pole getting board as hell, started spinning and figured out a wrist flip with it.Gotta love it!On the doggie toy topic...Budha bones are fun to twirl too!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
yo super, sounds like your fiance doesnt really like poi. whats up with that? i havent met anyone yet who hasnt. thats pretty cool though about the dog toys. they sound like they were made for spinning. next time im dog food shopping ill look for em. or how about those ones that have a ball on each end......meteor?? i think so.DRAKE

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
She doesnt know what to think about it Drake. She thinks it cool to look at in the dark withthe glowsticks, but she doesnt understand why i have to keep trying a move in the driveway for an hour at a time untill i get it...and i was in a Store..hee hee grin

- Mark Twain

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Awesome supa'man!Dog chew toys... ROTFLMAOI don't see what's so hard about thread the needle though... cuz once you know what to do it's easy enough, and you wonder how come you never got it before. I don't see how it looks ne different from a regular butterfly though... hmm...------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
i was riding my bike to the shops over the hill, thinking about twirling in the back of my head and discovered I had figured out just how to add extra beats to giant windmills when a garbage bin jumped out in front of me. I was riding on the footpath as the road was quite busy. (thought it'd be safer, guess it wasn't) I figured that I could make it through the small space between the garbage bin and this messy-looking hedge so I didn't really bother slowing down (thinking lalala i figured out that move, woohoo).when all of a sudden REALITY comes crashing down ontop of me like a tonne of bricks, my left handlebar snags into the hedge, my left hand follows, i decided (too late) going too fast through a small space while not paying attention is never good, and i somehow manage to land on my feet.I received *19* splinters from this hedge! Which took about 6 weeks for most of them to go away - they were too deep to pull out. And I seem to have injured on ligament in my third finger by 'punching' a wall behind the hedge when I crashed. It's taken bloody ages to heal and it's not healed properly yet now.moral of the story was - there is such a time when you really shouldn't be thinking about twirling. =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
is that where you got your name Splat?? Damn dude, that made me cringe ouch...I have caught myself trying todisect a move while driving...not a good idea either.TAiguy, i know why i was having so much trouble with the needle. I dont know what i was doing, i guess i thought it was harder than it was, and for some reason, the strings would always collide, now they dont...i dont ask why...BUT i did get a cool variation the other day...."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
its always when you think its harder than it is when you screw up i reckon. or when you think at all really. i didn't know what thread the needle was until today and realised i could do it and was completely puzzled by why i couldn't do it in the first week or two of starting.these things are always easier in retrospect..and yes I suppose I have gone 'splat' quite a few times onto the ground at various accelerated speeds. (nothing serious - yet wink

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King