MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, apparently I play with throws a lil too much...

I was just in the other room playing with my anti-spin throws and through multiple screw ups, I found that you can throw your poi horizontally.

Now, if you just go and throw your poi from a horizontal move, they're obviously going to just fly off in a direction you dont want them to go (away from you or straight into your body). So, how do we fix this? Do it from a vertical move!

Take, for instance, the normal under arm weave throw. At the point that you would normally let the handle go so it flips over your arm, push the handle instead so that it rotates horizontally. The head pretty much stays still while the leash does one full rotation, horizontally, around it. You can then catch it and go back into a vertical spin, or use it as a transition into a horizontal plane move.

I have not yet figured out a way to gracefully throw from horizontal into vertical as the momentum of the head will always pull the poi off in an odd direction but IMO, vertical -> horizontal throws are cool enough smile

::sniff sniff:: Is that an atomic throw I smell?

smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I dont really do poi but i was trying these from isolations last week (only buzzsaw iso's but im sure you could do it anywhere)

as the center of rotation is already in the right place and it doesnt really have momentum to mess things up its. all you have to do is give the poi a flick into the plane you want to rotate it in.

isloated plane changing throws.

works a treat.

Love is the law.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yep yep!

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
what about taking inspiration from meteor throws? ubbloco
Encroaching once more into contact poi territory I know rolleyes, but I'm guessing you could do a horizontal throw with weighted pois in exactly the same way as with meteors.hehe

i.e. making the throw from the poi-body not the handle

e.g. say, corkskrew - when the poi is above your head let it wrap around your hand a little so you move the contact from the handle to the poi-body, then PUSH!! bounce bounce2weeeeeeeeeeeee!

p.s. too many abbreviations.

NB. I'm going to stop now.

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
That would really only work if your poi heads and handles were equally weighted. If the handles are lighter than the heads, they will still drift off course. But then, if your handles and heads were equally weighted, normal throws wouldnt work as well.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
nah man, take the contact point off centre and make the PUSH from there wink

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Still dont think it would work. Once it leaves your hands, the momentum from the poi spinning would move into the heads and they would pull the poi in one direction.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
You don't have to do this from a vertical move. Spinning horizontal if you isolate it a little bit (like a meteor throw I guess) it will work as well. I can't do isolations at all really, but just through playing around I got it to work for this throw. Of course, my handles are a bit heavier than most... but still not equal to my monkey fists... so the concept should still work...

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

Still dont think it would work. Once it leaves your hands, the momentum from the poi spinning would move into the heads and they would pull the poi in one direction.

I intend to prove you wrong biggrin wink

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I areee with elasta here, if you are already spinning from the centre of ballance when you throw then the poi will stay in ballance when its in the air, its only when you throw from off centre of ballance (note centre of ballance, not of poi) does it become a factor in the air.

someone ask a physics teacher.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, fair enough... Ill take your word for it. But let me say this, I cant do that with my own poi.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
yup! it works!! its just like a meteor throw, you have to hit the right spot and twist your hand a bit as you throw ubbrollsmile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bump*

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
there is another site (german) which shows Ronan demonstrating several variations on the horizontal throw. Its quite possible to do these moves with poi that are not equally counter-weighted.

btw: heck of a bump there, FireTom. Was there something particular you were interested in pointing out?
EDITED_BY: squid (1202702632)

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol I've been looking for horizontal (staff) throws and came across this one... Just thought this thread had a little too much dust on it... shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
good bump smile

dncnewbie
28 posts

Posted:
Ok i hope i havnt got this wrong are you all just talking about throwing the poi into the air and catching it... cos I find that quite easy you, can do it from butterflys, weaves, going under the legs...

you just have to learn how each poi swings, as my socks swing around the middle. But my ball chains swing around the actuall poi head (which is more difficult to catch). The only thing I can do it from is spinning backwards. As it than goes up... its like juggling a good throw is needed and than catching is easy. It takes a little practice.
Just catch the handles and either put them on your fingers or hold onto them TIGHTLY!!!! aghhhh

I hope im not to arrogant, (first post) biggrin...

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
ahh not quite, that would be the poi spinning vertical in teh throw, horizontal would be the poi spins around in the same plane as the ground.

dncnewbie
28 posts

Posted:
Sorry I got confused...

So would it be a case of catching the poi and throwing them straight up from a corkscrew? Or would you let go of the poi while corkscrewing..? Or is it actually changing from the verticle plane to the horizontal while moving upwards and letting go??? (so nickcanns atomic weave??? maybe?)

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
the way most do it is while spinning in reverse in the wheel plane you flick the handle sideways and it will spin horizontal in front of you and the handle swings back towards you

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Technically it could be both:

~ Throwing the poi from a corkscrew move so it spins in the horizontal plane (LIke a meteor-style throw)

or

~ Pushing the handle from a vertical throw so it spins in a horizontal plane (which is believe is what the first post was orginally about)

There's a few vids around, one of MCP's videos (RonoLab or somesuch) has Ronan doing some I know...

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude