MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Many of you know that I've absolutely HATED the four years Ive spent in Ann Arbor. There are no fire spinners here. There's no decent electronic music here. There is ONE gay bar here. The weather blows. The people are all so...normal.

So on Thursday I'll get my ticket out: my match letter. I have to say my eyes are pretty dry at this thought. I have friends who I'll miss, of course, but we'll keep in touch...and I can make new friends. In LA there's DFK and Judith and in NYC there's...well...NYC and Regyt. Just for starters.

In 7 weeks I go to London. 4 weeks after that I'll return to Ann Arbor for one hectic week of packing. My plan is to leave Ann Arbor for points East/West 2 days after graduation and no later. I'd leave the next morning, but my Queer Youth Group is having their Queer Prom the next day and I need to be there for my kids one last time.

Yet last night I was at our local gay bar and I realized something: for a small town, I do know all the bartenders' names. They all know mine. In fact, I know a fair number of people in our small, but pretty close-knit gay community. In these last four years I've come to know my way around. Last night in our drunken peckishness we walked four blocks to a local 24-hour greasy spoon. We goofed around and pelted each-other with snowballs... Somewhere in all this, Ann Arbor became my home.

These last four years I watched my swim coach's little boys go from infants to small children. I learned how to hold peoples' hands as they died. I came out of the closet. And I came to realize, that at the end of it all, I am a free spirit after all..

And at the very end, although I can't wait to get the hell out of here... On some level I'm going to miss this f*cking place. shrug

7 weeks. ubbtickled

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
change ur ticket to oz, the weathers better here 25 is a cold day, the beachs have sand and the boys are cuter wink

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
moving on and moving up hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Enjoy your remaining time as the end of another chapter biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

change ur ticket to oz, the weathers better here 25 is a cold day, the beachs have sand and the boys are cuter wink

Sounds like LA. But even in Oz, the cutest boys seem to be straight.

*trips over self* wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
you forgot that in vegas you have ME!!!!!!!!!! biggrin

i understand what you mean though. i think i nearly every place i've been, the same thing has happened (except Fresno, cause who could ever really like that place? ubblol ) when i lived in London, i was homesick the whole time i was there. i loved the city, but i couldn't wait to get home. and wouldn't you know, two weeks before i left, i made a whole bunch of friends, and i started to enjoy myself. same thing happened in Redlands and in Denver.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Im sure you have had a profound effect on the town and your influences will live on there.
Its nice to be able to go back to a place like that for a visit and touch base but it sounds like you dont want to be there forever. Take the goodness of your time there as you have.
There is alot to be said for a small town. I still know the best places to buy stuff from in my hometown even though I have never lived there in my adult life and now have been longer away than there. Im a small town girl at heart ubblove wink biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu