MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
So, Techno Turtles did a direction changing air wrap on the TT2 video and this move has always baffled me. How the hell do they get it to change direction mid-air wrap? Ive watched it over and over and experimented on my own and just cant figure it out. Is this possible with any poi or is it a glow stick only type of thing because I dont spin glow sticks and Im thinking that might be why I cant figure it out.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Perhaps you're talking about an orbital airwrap?

It's when you airwrap and turn 90 degrees while pulling on the strings, so that the sticks are spinning around each other real fast. Hence the orbital name. However, if you turn again as the sticks are slowing down, the strings will unravel, and making the rotation time even longer. Link catch is an easy way to get into this move also.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
no he's talking about a direction change airwrap.. and I don't recall whihc method they used in the tt2 vid, but you can take and spin an airwrap clockwise wall planed, rotating your arms with it, slow down as your left hand is on top and the right is on bottom.. hold a sec and turn back the other way.. the sneaky things is the poi kinda catch the strings and are redirected, back the other way.. (not like redirected like a wrap, but deflected so that it doesnt really lose momentum) it happens so fast you can't see it..

you can also let is slow and turn it back the other way and the string will turn it back...

same as above but you can shrink it down like an orbital and use the strength of the link to turn it back..

you can also let it spin into a twist rather then a tanlge.. the twisting causes ezch string to spiral on each other til they stall eead to head and come back out... then bring it back into the tangle..

there are others.. but these are the easiest I think..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Looks mostly like the first version you mentioned Rev. Unfortunately I cant really understand how it works with your description either. Also, not answered is, can this be done with all sorts of poi? Most importantly sock poi? Or is it pretty much only possible with sticks?

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
oh no.. it can be done with sock poi... and fire poi..

see the thing is the weight of heavier poi makes it harder.. but the firction of the socks counters the weight of the socks.. and the ball chains dont give enough for the monkey fists' weight to be an issue either..

I played a little.. and I actually mvoe a little past 12 and 6 with my hands.. I go to 1-1:30 and 7-7:30, before I turn back the other way... again this is one of the harder moves to -think- through.. because it happens so fast that you can really focus enough on what your doing.. my suggestion would be to start with learning a direction exchange exit.. then work up to the direction change itself.. basically spin the clockwise airwrap and tryin to get it pretty close to the poi head when your left hand reaches 1-1:30... and the poi should spin down to like and orbital (or close to it.. ) but exit out the other direction.. so basically when the poi come out of the airwrap instead of continuing in that direction just go the other way... whihc eventually leads to you changing the direction so that it makes a partial rotation the other way ebfore exiting the tangle.. basically you end up working more and more... the hard part is gettingcomfortable with the change over though.. and like I said.. that just focus on slowing the airwrap and exiting it the other direction.. and slowly work the changeover with more and more moementum..

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hey rev, shall we start the arguement again? wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
it really simple all u gotta go is wait till its about to die on u and swictch directions LOL

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
mad2
yeah... I don't know what that smiley's saying.. but that's my arguement... lolsign

counter that nana

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
censored

beat that, monkey boy wink

(incidentally i've been learning diabolo hand placements, gives wicked loop variations, including heaps of direction change things....)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
yeah.. I had a post going around on some of the sights about using the poi like devil sticks (?) basically each arm acts as a stick and the poi head <-tangle-> poihead acts as a stick..

I don't know anything about sticks though.. just saw people doing them and thought, hey that looks like this.. so I'd love to here about some of those vairations your learning..

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
This is much easier to get correct if you are able to do outside-inside-outside or buzzsaw tangle hyperloops.... I think thats the current terminology... anyway...

The reason for this is that that move makes you learn how to move your hands in time with the chains correctly. Which is exactly what this move entails. You let the tangle hit on one side like a normal hperloop entrance, however instead of pulling it across to the other side, you push your hands outward toward the side you tangled on, thus sticking your wrists in the path of the poi heads. You have to hit the ropes just right, so they are equal lengths after the tangle point, in order to make it work cleanly. Hands at about 9 and 3 works good, somewhere in that exceptable range around there. Helps to torque your wrists just a little bit to add some extra spring to the bounce. The exit comes out going the opposite direction in a weave, but the TRICK is that because of the tangle, it takes an extra beat on the side of the bounce wrap before continuing into the weave. When this is done correctly, it all slips very easily, and can be done with any kind if poi.

For the exit, understanding seperations (seperating the poi and going back into a spinning routine, like a weave, will help you understand how to continue after a successful airwrap bounce) will give you an IDEA of the feel your hands will have during the exit. It feels like your spinning them seperated, only much lighter, like your spinning little mini-poi. Once the tangle comes undone, you will find yourself in a seperation and need to transition back into the weave. Ta da.

Hope my rambling helps at least a little.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Hey beefy,

Im sure your info would be mighty helpful but it sounds like youre talking about something else. The direction changing air wrap we're talking about doesnt involve any wraps. Its simply an air wrap that changes direction mid-tangle. Sounds like youre talking about an air wrap with wrist wraps but perhaps Im just misunderstanding?

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ohhhhh oops. I misunderstood. Is this where you allow your chains to hit one direction, change the airwrap to horizontal and then back to a wall plane in the opposite direction?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
that's another wya to do it.. but no.. this is they are going one direction.. and they go back the other direction.. no axis change are anything..