Forums > Help! > another one for the techies...

Login/Join to Participate

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
we are trying to set up a home network....at home..

and we keep on getting the same problem :

we have to log on to My computer(jons) however no one knows the user name and/or password.

Windows has now (for some wierd reason) gotten rid of my user name, before it goes into windows, and i never had a password anyway....

I can get onto both of my other housemates, and they can get onto each others, but they cant get onto mine.

We have gone through the windows networking properties...but I cant work out why they need to log onto mine.

The network router and our network hub (2 in 1) we have is for our ADSL connection. That requires a user name and password to access and edit the settings on the router, and is connected to mine through USB. The others connect to it through CAT5.

We are all running windows XP.

Anyone got any ideas?

WE have also tried running the home networking wizard.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
now after running the home networking wizard...
It keeps on saying on my computer (when i try to access thiers)

"\\sonesh is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. COntact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The Network path was not found"

and it says the same thing for when i try to access the other computer...

and i hate those messages..I AM the administrator..

frown

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Are the other computer configured for sharing?

Have you tried swapping the order of the machines around?

Do any of the other machines have the software firewall turned on?

Are you using the right kind of cables? (i know this might be a dumb sounding question but hey).

cant think of anything else because the creative side of my brain is asleep.. will give you a shout tomorow when i get to work, might be able to help more

could you describe the current set up in a bit more detail?

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Current set up?

well..there are 2 computer plugged in through CAT5 into the router. The router plugs into the phone line (irrelevant) and my computer plugs into the router through USB.

File and printer sharing is turned on on my computer.

and yes... the cables are the right sort...I made them myself (well...half of them) and they DO work.

Tried rearranging the order?

How????

the plugs into the back of the Router? why would that make a differnce?

we tried turning all the firewalls off but its still kaput.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
this made so sense so i deleted.

must sleep now.

wish i coulda help ya more

wait...

have you tried setting up a new user profile with admin rights from scratch
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1095981704)

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Thw wizard is 5hit. windows is 5hit. Reinstall windows. Look at the ip adresses in the network config tab. Set them up yourself. Turn off the windows firewall. It's 5hit. Check to see if the router has inbuilt firewalls NAT's Do stuff with them. Find the ip address of the router. Set it up as the gateway, unless a computer is going to be the gateway. Ping things from the cmd line. If you can't figure it out after 2 hours scream swear words at the computer. After 4 start to pick up the key board and slam it down again frustation. Consider punching the monitor. After 6 start crying. After 8 reinstall windows. After another 8 install linux and watch the sun come out. Then try and install a dual boot windows and linux machine. Start to doubt everything. The computer is not your friend, it is not a tool, it is evil, and even if it says it's going to do something, it's going to crash at the most annoying moment... Start to dream about abacuss and small stone pillars. Eat your shoes. Kill beyonce. hit.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
There speaketh the voice of experience ubblol

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
MCP- I cant reinstall windows as I have SP2 installed, and when I put the original CD in to reinstall, it says the version I am trying to install is older than my current version.

Its being really annoying.

You have lots more time to think as Angelcake MK.2 Is currently in peices and im waiting for the commpany I bought the motherboard from to send it back to me after I sne tit away for testing. There was nothig wrong with it in the end... which confuses me lots.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Right, get a new harddrive your old one is owned by the devil now and after agreeing to SP2 is probably literally owned by microsoft, and if you ever enter information on it again, microsoft will grant itself copyright. If you really want to reinstall windows, just repartition the harddrive, this will cause total information loss, (hmmmmmmm clean!) and hence the windows disk will have NOOOOOOOO choice. Alternatively give up any hope of ever getting windows working properly. This is what I would do. Or send me a Stamped Addressed Envelope and a plane ticket and I will come down in person and fix it for you. I don't know what the Stamped Addressed Envelope is for, I just want one.

Yeah, I never did get my combined router/adsl modem/hub to work through USB. I would have a lot of fun trying it under SP2 what with it's WE WILL KILL DRIVERS WE DON'T LIKE attitude. (Nice one Microsoft!) I would just use Cat5 if I were you and pretend like it's convenient. If you pretend for long enough, you will think it's convenient, and after a while, you'll forget to pretend. And then you will truly love windows. It's not like all computers don't have network connections, and you're not using yours for other things like electrocuting pygmy shrews are you?

Hmm I should get some work done before I launch into an epic poem version of a story about pygmy shrews....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.