Forums > Help! > Custom made CJ spheres

Login/Join to Participate

dancingcow7newbie
5 posts

Posted:
I was wondering if any one knew a site of a copmany that would costum make a sphere for me. I'm not that good at CJ, but I'm hoping tp save up money to buy one when I'm good enough. ubbrollsmile If you think you can help me please email me (reader_001@yahoo.com) or IM me on aim (ak4pok) angel

Poeple are like crayons, it's not what color they are, its the picture they make.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey there - in what way do you want a custom CJ ball?

Is it a specfic size or colour you're after?
If you're a beginner - why are you making the leap to cutsom made balls? Theres already a huge range of sizes and colours (and materials) out there to choose from...

As to actual companies - I'm not sure, but searching for "Steel Balls" brings up several manufacturing companies who might make balls-to-order. But one off's would be expensive

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I agree with Durbs. It takes a while to work out the specifics of your prefered props, so it's worth exploring what already exists for quite a long time before splashing out on anything custom!

dancingcow7newbie
5 posts

Posted:
angel ok thanx. Well I'm looking for one because I know its expensive and hoping to save up money for it, and wile I'm doing that become an ok contact juggler. It's a goal for me to work up to. I can tell you that I practice everyday when I can, but that means nothing. Just thinking of getting the CJ ball I want makes me happy and it's a good goal for me to work to. I don't want to sound rude by saying that, but it's how I feel.

Poeple are like crayons, it's not what color they are, its the picture they make.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Acrylics aren't cheap as is - especially the 100mm ones, about £60 in the UK.

Or some sexy UV ones for about £30

But I seriously reckon getting a custom made acrylic ball would be about £100 (depending on the size) - which is alot as it WILL get scratched smile

What kind of ball are you after?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
an india rubber one please... ubbangel

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

dancingcow7newbie
5 posts

Posted:
I would like a Acrylic one. The one I'm hoping to get, well that I'm wishing for would have a bluish tint with a rose inside. The size I think would be 3 inches.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The rose inside would be nice, but it would kill the effect of an acrylic. The mystique of the acrylic is that you can't tell it's rolling. It looks like it's floating. Unless the rose was isolated and floating inside an acrylic shell. wink I had that idea once but not cost effective to make. Plus the wobble problem. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

dancingcow7newbie
5 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'm trying to find different kinds of CJ balls and seeing which one would work. But in order to do that I need to find someone that would make it.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I had a frend who worked in plastics who made his own acrylics. I think you can buy the stuff needed (powders, solvents etc.) to make your own acrylic stuff. My frend used christmas tree bulbs as a mold. I'd suggest getting everything the same temperature to avoid bubbles.

The trouble with getting a company to make you one custom is they are used to making things in bulk. If they already have the right mold for a 3" sphere your ahead of the game. If not they'll want you to pay for it.

I'll look around for some of that do it yourself acrylic stuff and let you know what I find. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

dancingcow7newbie
5 posts

Posted:
Wow thanx. Thats why I'm hoping bye the time I save enough money to get the one, I want I'll be okish at CJ.

H.a.V.a.B.o.R.g.newbie
12 posts

Posted:
my new 80mm uv green acrylic ball came from a web site called neon huskey they are based in america and are pretty good it cost around £30 devil

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I've tried casting, not acrylic but polyester spheres and the hardest thing I've found is getting the flippin' moulds, (because i'm lazy and I want it to come out perfick automatically) If you want to put something inside a perfectly round sphere, you are going to need to either do it in two halves or use a damn good abrasive and lots of elbow grease - because any spherical cast is going to have a flat bit where you pour the liquid plastic in and that'll need the sanding.
As for the rose, if you're keen about this, have a look at
www.hafodgrange.co.uk these people know stuff about capturing flowers in resin spheres, albeit ones with flat bottoms which are in fact paperweights...
That's my 2 cents, although i know s.f.a about CJ biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
I've looked into it, a custom acrylic of CJ quality is going to be HORRIBLY expensive and the bigger the piece the more expensive umm. You're really not going to get any better a deal on acrylic then the CJ vendors, and moulding acrylic involves methods far beyond the average person and somewhat expensive equipment to achieve the same quality. Part of the problem with CJ balls is that the density has to be consistant or the ball is unbalanced, so the acrylic has to be high quality and highly polished.

I'm in the US but so far the best buy on CJ balls I've ever seen (and where I got my 2 balls) is The Bob Hughes Company

Do yourself a favor and start with somthing good sized (between 2 and 3 inches) in a solid acrylic ball so that you get used to the weight and are not scratching up a super expensive (well, any more expensive then they are normally already) acrylic ball. And believe me, you WILL scratch it. Dont bother with a super expensive fancy schmancy ball unless you really fall in love with CJ. Also as mentioned above, anything other then a clear or uniformly tinted ball really ruins the "floating bubble" effect that is the sort of goal of CJ.

I personally really like my 3 inch ball and have a second 2&3/4 inch ball that I picked up to start building a collection for palmspinning, the larger ball is surprisingly more comfortable for single ball work. Having tried all the suggested substitutes like lacrosse balls I will say that acrylic REALLY DOES make it easier, theres somthing about the weight and smoothness that really makes a difference. Also the Contact Juggling book by James Ernest is well worth picking up. It breaks down the CJ moves into smaller moves to build muscle memory, clean up moves, and result in much smoother CJ work.

If you really want a special ball to keep you going by all means go for it, I'm certainly not one to speak when it comes to getting too many toys. But I found that the regular acrylics were so damn 'spensive already they were inspiration enough for me. tongue

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The Bovril Monkey wants a contact ball with a glow in the dark little plastic zombie in.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Tesco's do Glow balls as a dog's toy for about £5.00. Get one, cut a small slit in it. Open the slit and insert a funnel, taking care not widen the slit. Pour rice into the slit until full. Glue the slit up and now enjoy your 217g 70mm CJ ball that cost you just over a fiver. smile

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But you can get a 100mm glow-in-the-dark stage ball for £3...

Aaaaaanyway - I want a floaty eye one, just think it would be quite fun smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
floaty eye one.... mmmm

one ball

one floaty eye marble

one lathe

loads of patience

Cut ball perfectly in half, hollow out two hemispheres polish for a few months insert ball, clue halfs back together with some kind of glue that doesnt go white.

This would be a pinch with CNC lathe.

I've made clear arcylic wheels with led's inside with success, floaty eye ball would be a real challenge. If i knew CJ i might even be able to use it.

Love is the law.