Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

2bags has been trying to teach me that for ages, aparantly i just dont have the hair for it rolleyes

Lavatwilight: when doing a steve, with extra rotation on the back of neck befroe continuing up your left arm, main tip i can give is keep you shoulders level and try not to lean at all, the "squarer" you can keep your shoulders the more in control you will be................

Thats if control is what your after biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
thats it!

It's the snizzle drizzle!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ok, thanks, as i was trying to angle my self, so it went cleaner, so i will stop that now smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
hmmm, now I have worked out how to do: isolations, pendulums, hugs and flowers with sticks after learning them with poi.

So: New mission: Wraps! or at least weird ass stalls.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
ass stalls... is that like sitting down and then stopping just before you get there?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
noooooooo, it's like trying to drive but forgetting and then the car stops and you're like Urgh? But everyone behind you is like: BEEP!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

hmmm, now I have worked out how to do: isolations, pendulums, hugs and flowers with sticks a

no fair

new rule is if you have a new move you have to tell people how to do it. well you dont have to but i'll give you chocolate raisins if you do

*wonders how many packets of raisins he has to bring to uberstaff*

its like telling everyone in the video thread you've got a new vid but you havent posted it yet

smile

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
but they're all fairly obvious! None of it requires contact, apart from the pendulum weaves, but that's another story.

Plus I haven't been doing them long enough to explain them...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
you just have to show us next week.

all thirty of us smile

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lavatwilight

righ ok, so going steve like, right hand, so it would wrap the frontside of you neck, but instead you duck and the staff goes on to the back, and down the other arm, i just cant make it clean yet, any ideas?

I only got these myself a week or so ago.

couple of things.

practise without the firs half of the steve. Just start from a neck wrap.

spinning in the same direction of the staff (vary he speed for added fun) slows everything down and gives you loads of time to figure out there the sticks is.

what strugz said. square shoulders make it work.

to be honest i got this by starting the neck wrap, ducking and doing the shoulder shimmy thing randomly until it fell into place.

i went back into the steve after i gotthe hang of it and now i cant stop myself. i literally stand in my room just seeing how long i can keep the staff on my back my twisting and turning and trapping it against my neck and shoulder. soooo much fun.

my full neck wraps are coming along too.

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
fine by me, as long as I get that essay finished....

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ok....can this work....well i know it can as i made it do so twice, but hummmmm, ok so doubles halo's one coming in from each side so they cross on the backand come off. any one got any ideas?

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I think i got a clean vertical steve.

and a few extra spins in my halo roll. i honeslty think i got three spins last night. it went out my arm a bit. could be the second half of the anger roll. can defo get two fulls spins on my back in a halo roll now though.

well i could last night.

i get very excited about these things sometimes then i come back the next day and cant do them anymore confused

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
two andre matrixes in a row... hmmmm. (no hands.) Finally got around to practising jesus'es and did two and a half a lot... and clean, which was nice. Hit myself on the head a couple of times, but not hard, and made up a new trap. Good session all in all.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Meg, how are you getting the momentum to keep the staff going? are you turning while the staff is moving round the front?

Grow old but never grow up

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think your should be turning continuously. If you start it from the front, you start with the stick in wheel plane, so you turn into it, if you start from the back halo roll, you have to remember to turn into the halo roll too. Momentum isn't my problem, I usually have to much of it. I tend to whip around the front halo though. (Well turn really fast through it) You can easily feel when it's perfect, which is nice.

If you were referring to the matrix: Well The second one was slower than the first, but that just meant I had to LEAN MORE!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I got it handy enough turning from wrist elbow halo. i think im used to turning that way anyway and it seems easier for me to get the staff in the right spot.

i think the fear of getting a stick in the face might be limiting my turning ability. it does go fast smile

Love is the law.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ive taken a bit of a leaf from Mr Mclean's book and have stopped really thinking about about the names of moves and high tech matrixy combos - rather i am focussing on the more organic approach to contact - focusing a bit more on the dance - moving my body around in unexpected ways and seeing what happens to the staff.

ive been taking this approach for about a month and love it! it seems to have given me a completely different approach to being creative in contact staff.

well... back to work!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
nice one dentrassi, i've been doing the same myself alot now. its so much fun eh smile

went to the circus school last night and spent bout half an hour practising steve manoovers kneeling down. its so much harder when you dont have your legs to shift your weight. seems like it a good excercise to get the old shoulders going.

smile

3 days!!! smile

Love is the law.

Flame SwirlWeilder of the P.E.T.S.O.C.K.
247 posts

Posted:
I havn't really posted in here before but I just thought I would share this.
Now bare with me...

I have been playing with doubles for a little bit now and I have just got this crossover spinning throw thingie. Wheeeeeee...
and im almost happy with it biggrin

Ummmm... Just realised I have absolutly no idea how to describe it...
Basicly I am spining forward and mirrored, crossing the sticks but not the arm infront of the body. (Hope that makes some sort of sense) Then instead of continuing in the wall plane, flatten out into floor plane in about two rotations, and throw them both up. (One of the sticks needs to be a little higher than the other so they don't clash.) Both the sticks cross over and then catch them and continue as I started but now its backwards.

I think that makes sense... >.< Now my brain hurts...

Reality is mass beleif...

Feed me and I will grow, give me drink and I will die...

I'll lap at your heels, if you give me the chance. Though I won't fetch or stay, I surely will dance...

Enjoy, be happy, and don't forget to breathe...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hiya Flame Swirl

Welcome to the madness.

That sounds kinda cool.

I think, in HOP staff speak that move would be

Forwards Butterfly Wall Plane to Forwards Helicopter and Throw to opposite hands. You dont happen to have a camera do ya? Would be lovely to see.

What size are your sticks? I've been messing about with horizontal throws a bit but whenever there is more than one stick i end up getting scared and running away. Have you seen Joshs (pyrolifyc) Under the Bridge doubles video? He does some nice throws in that you might like.

Its on https://www.soton-firespinning.co.uk/.

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
wavehello glenn smile

ado-p we are lucky enought to be able to watch josh spin every friday smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*sulk*

smile

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
did i mention our weekly meets are huuuuuge to tongue

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*throws stick at ben*

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ubbangel easy tiger, u know there is a solution ....... ozzies winters are warmer than uk summers u know wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Dont worry, Im coming...

It'l be well into next year though. Plans are to move to NZ at the end of this year and then maybe on to austraila 9or more specificaly Adelaide smile

I hear Kiwi's are way cooler than Aussies anyway wink

Love is the law.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

did i mention our weekly meets are huuuuuge to tongue

huge? i didnt think adelaide was that big! wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
It's big it's real big (ummm anyone remember that old Sprite ad? no?)

Just on what the lads were talking about what with the body movment being another approach, I goota say I love it! biggrin Very suited to improvistions, and you can muck around with so many different styles. Have been playing with odd balances, some on one leg, some even on a leg and an arm or my back. The trick for me seems to be able to roll my own weight through these positions, and you end up with contact paths that get quite abstract. Have also been playing a bit more again with Static spins, and starting to get some more fluid movments happening. Would like to get a lot more into the Static world with Doubles & Tripples. Would be some funny stuff
methinks ubbangel
Take & Give care,
Kyle

A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Why arent you coming to Uberstaff? wink

Love is the law.

Page: ......