KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Alright, so I leave for Europe in a little over a week to wonder about for three months on my own (more or less) and was just wondering since there are so many people here that either live there or have been there if anyone:
a. has any suggestions for things I HAVE to do, or things I really shouldn't do

b. if anyone wants to meet up while I'm there and hang out/spin/whatever

c. if anyone has suggestions or tips for cheap lodging (yes, I know about hostels but are there any really good/sucky ones) or if anyone wants to put me up for a night, I make a really good house guest.

I tried looking under the "meet others" directory, but was so confused because people there have their normal names and here, use handles mostly. It was too much for my crazy, stressed out mind to figure out. So, I didn't want to mail total stranger and ask them to help me. You guys are only half-strangers.

Hey, you guys could always just pass me around like a second pair of poi and write about spinning me around or something!

Oh wait. That was at my expense wasn't it?
anyways, reply, e-mail me, etc. please!

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
well i did have a fantastic reply but damned browser lost it! anyways, europe is damned big, where are you planning to go?

if in uk, most hostels are okay except in glasgow, edinburgh and birmingham. These are just freaky and should be avoided. Pay the little extra and go for a B&B (bed & breakfast)lots more fun.

germany is cool for raves and stuff, as is belgium but can be scary (and i mean like pervert following you home scary)

france is amazing, brilliant people and wonderful views and stuff. I'd really recommend southern france although their dialect is sometimes hard to understand.

spain = fab except benidorm and alicante unless you want to meet up with lots of fat british football hooligans. Hmm, i wouldnt bother...

italy is, well its italy and amazing. I know nothing about the north though but i think it should be the same quality. Watch out for shop and museam opening times though, they're a bit odd. (especially in siciliy and sardinia)

thats all i know i'm afraid, not been travelling in netherlands (except for stoned weekends in amsterdam)but would like to.

Hope you have a wonderful time petal and i'm sure you'll meet spinners on the way. If you come by here, gimme a buzz!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Good for you, Kali

Where are you starting your trip ?

will you have a euro rail pass ?
beware that traveling in Europe can be reasonnably cheap, but definitely still expensive...

where to go ???, eeer ... everywhere really !!!
now seriously
England definitely, germany YEP : REMEMBER the European Juggling Convention August 8/16th well worth the ride !!!!! and cheap too (cause it is camping)
Prag is supposed to be wonderful
italy ? not my favourite, but still wonderful
Spain ? YAY !!!!! tons and tons of jugglers in Barcelona and Madrid (I LOVE THE RETIRO PARC !!!) and many more places...

do you have a tent / sleeping bag ?

If you plan on going to Paris, send me an email.
I am not able to say today whether I can have someone stay over or not for personal family reasons, but will soon know. June / july rocks in France (south of France is wonderful !!!! but expensive I think !!!)

i suggest greek islands / Greec cause it is so special and wonderful, but long to get there ...

Any questions, please ask...
Shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Here in Birmingham we have a happy group of Poi, staff, juggler and other fire stuff people. Don't know how likely it is you'll find yourself in Brum but if you do I'm sure you'll have a warm welcome and a magical mystery tour of the sights and sounds of Birmingham. Are you in the uk between 26-30 june because Glastonbury is on, its one of the best things the UK has going for it! Alas it is sold out but you can work for a ticket see link here Oxfam Jobs Glastonbury
or here Glastonbury Jobs Page
Hope this helps,

[ 15 May 2002, 00:03: Message edited by: Wikkaman ]

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Hey Kali

If u decide to cum to London for a few days, you're welcome at mine
Tis rather small, So you'd hav to sleep in da living room, but we've got futons and lots of squishy cushions and stuff.
My landlord occasionally sleeps over so if u let me know in advance, I can check with him.
Twould be luvlee to have another sex-crazed Goddess around
We can HUUNG (*HOOONG*) the nyt away!

Strong Cheese and Spakles to all,
DFQ xx

Az abouve, So below...

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Dark Fairy Queen, I would love to come stay with you for a bit. That would be splendid and no worries about room. I'm rather small and could probably sleep in your closet if I had to!

Cassandra, thanks for the advice. I will e-mail from wherever I am before I come to Paris. It would be great to meet you and if you have space, that would be just all the more lovely.

I will be using the Eurail/Britrail passes. Flying into Barcelona on the 22nd of this month. I have a good friend there to stay with and muck about with. From there I don't know where I'll be. I'm keeping a lose iternary so I won't get to set into doing something and then get all disappointed if any of it falls through.

Sadly, Wikkaman I will not be able to make the Glastonbury Festival this year but I guess better luck next time to me. But if there's people to be met in Birmingham, than I will most probably wind up there.

Twirly Vic, thanks for the tips. Its good to know places with higher than average pervert concentration. especially as a young woman traveling alone (not that I can't take 'em!).

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Kali, sweetie, I'll be in barcelona beginning of June (on the 6t/7th for work and probably staying over the week end) it'd be wicked to meet you there Will email you when I know more details !!!!
Barcelona is great for jugglers/spinners !!!

shine on
cass

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Yay!!!! Party in Barcelona! Sounds fabu.

starbukmember
75 posts

Posted:
Good luck with using britishrail!

A good tip: just remember deep breaths and think happy thoughts. Some sort of music through headphones will help too! If I were you i wouldnt pay either, save some money!

This transport system is the only thing in the whole world that brings me either to tears or fills me with horrid anger. I hate it.

But dont let that put u off. i hear loads of people dont mind it

Dont forget to bring a towel

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Yup, I'm with Starbuk on this. Train travel bad!
But we can't forget Star', that in comparisson to most other transport sytems around the world, England's not all dat poo. It seems that way 2 us, but I've heard horror stories, from Ausie's for example, of half an hour waits etc..

I WILL recomend headphone tho. Being in your own little bubble helps wid da stress factor.

As far as not paying goes, success depends on the line your traveling on. If your Underground, u gotta pay, obviously, b4 y'all even enter. Silverlink, or Connex Trains r usually a cinch to skip- but be wary of new ticket barriers at certain Stations, ie-Camden. British rail iz'nt usually a problem, they usually have inspectors aboard, checking tickets through out the journey. It's worth not buying a ticket first, and if an inspector comes along, tell them u didnt have time , and could you please buy 1 from him. This is where your foreign charm must be utilized, as they're getting less and less lenient of these excuses...PHEW!
We also have good bus services- but I'll stop now
Hope this helps!
DFQ xx

Az abouve, So below...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Barcalona is amazing! You must visit lots of Gaudi's work, it's truly amazing! Moved and affected my soul. Also if you like great music there's the Sonar music festival on 13-15 of June if you're about for that. Went last year, and had an amazing week there!

Come to London. It truly is one of the most amazing places in the world.

Other things to do? Chill out in the alps, party in Berlin, wander through Paris, swim in the Med.... Europe's a massive and varied place, it'll keep you busy for the rest of your life:)

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
IBIZA
*sigh* tis very expensive though...had to cut my trip a month short cause I spent two weeks there...but soooo worth it.

Chalet Gryon in Swizterland is the nicest most relaxed hostel right in the swiss alps. I'll see if I can find some more info on it..but you should most definetly check it out...there's always lots other travellers there too!

Om Namah Sivaya

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
oops..it's called Chalet Martin..here's the website..honestly it's the greatest place on earth and it's fairly reasonably priced

Om Namah Sivaya

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Thanks again you guys. I will definitely have to come through London, now. Its actually to only city I've been to in Europe, so I was going to skip it this time but that's out the window.

No worries about public transit and me. I've survived Los Angeles public transit and think I should be getting a medal or something for that. Already got my walkman and making more tapes to occupy myself with.

Already planned on seeing as much Gaudi as I can. My friend there said this year is some kind of tribute to him. I don't know. Find out when I get there.

poppymember
15 posts

Posted:
the uk is wicked. if u want to go trekking at all, the lakes district is best. best partying in newquay and brighton. newquay is my favourite, so many backpackers and surfers living there, the partying is amazing, coastline is beautiful,loads of fire twirlers, drummers and hippies there.

western ireland is meant to be fantastic.

alot of backpackers say that edinburgh is the best city in europe to go to. i dunno why, i haven't been.

if u get the urge to go over to greece, it's so excellent. do the cyclades islands- santorini, ios and mykonos, they have mad partying and amazing scenery.

the france, spain, portugal, morrocco trip is an absolute hit with surfers (and a van!), i guess it depends what kind of places you want to go. but is u feel like a chilled out surfing holiday with mates, this type of trip is great.

basically, for best partying i suggest greek islands, spanish islands, spanish coastline. perhaps also the french coastline, not fully sure on that one.

summer in europe is very hard to get accomm in busy places (like coastal areas) so book ahead if poss.

good luck, you'l have an amazing time

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:

Wutever u do,

DON'T GO TO TUNISIA!!

Grrrr!!!

Az abouve, So below...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DarkFairyQueen:
DON'T GO TO TUNISIA!!
yeah, I hear the Tusken Raiders there are murder!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

4,224 posts

Posted:
Don't go to Tunisia ????
I had groovy times in Tunisia. Appart from the crap dictatorial regime, the people were gentle and nice really !!!
Funny how different people have different experiences and different times in the very same country...

Shine on
Cass

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I had a dreadful time in Tunisia, but only went around Souse area. I went with my mother and one of her students, a 15 year old malay girl (and a muslim). My mother knows Arabic, and both were constantly oggled at, commented upon crudely and grabbed by lots of arab men. On a couple of occasions this grabbing turned into sexual molestation. Enough to turn a pacifist violent.

This kinda thing happens everywhere tho, but it seems arab and indian men really have got themselves a bad reputation.

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Yeah,
My experience of Tuniz woz a bit more like Doms.
Learing men, undermined women hidden away all day working for pennies, starved animals, terrible food, dihorrea....
Needless to say, it was one of the most Unpleasant holidays I've ever been on.

Cass, where did u stay when u went there? The differrence may be down to the fact that my mother and I went on a cheap 'package holiday'.
Twas the kind of thing you'd see reported on 'Watchdog' (English show where consumers get heard).
Anyway, eeenuff of dat (enough of that),

DFQ xx

Az abouve, So below...

4,224 posts

Posted:
::hugs DFQ for taking the time to even do the english / cassandra translation :: (gotta love that queen )

anyway, I went there once on a cheap vacation and once with work. Both times around Tunis / Carthagos etc ...

I know what you and Dom means though and I can easily imagine how that could happen. I made friends with some of the technicians working with us and got an invitation to their home for tea. Lovely, warm, gentle caring people ... but again ... everything's possible !!!

shine on
cass

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I think I´ll be avoiding the arabic countries for the time being. Half-israeli girl with american passport travelling alone = not good business in scary north african countries. I´ll go when the situation in the Middle East lightens up (if that ever happens).
Anyways, I´m in Barcelona, now.

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
aaah, sooh.

u r half Isreali gurl? the uther half American?

((dosn't really work without the Japenese accent...
...but hwhy Japenese??))

Az abouve, So below...

4,224 posts

Posted:
YAY, see you in Barcelona on the 8th or 9th

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
I highly recommend the 3 day celebration of circus and street theatre that is the Aurillac Festival in the mid-south of France. 21st-24August

www.Aurillac.net

Check it!

Also 'The Big Chill' in the UK 16-18 August.

Lush easy going 3 day party in awsome location.

www.bigchill.net

Barcelona Rules!

Have a wicked one!

Axis.

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
hi

just to offer a roof over your happy head if you go thru` england...
i`m in sheffield,yorkshire
so ideally placed between london and scotland
if you fancy a stop-over
my e-mail is...
fire.fire@virgin.net

happy travellings

when in doubt - smile

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Yes, DFQ the other half of me is American. Guess which half it is!

Sadly, I will have to return to the states mid August to prepare for moving to the east coast on August 28th for uni, so I won´t be able to go to those events. Thanks for the suggestions though, Axis.

Cassandra, can´t wait to meet up.