Forums > Social Chat > drinking conversation...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
lorryBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Ok this is a conversation that we were having in the pub last nite. beerchugDoes anyone know the origins for any phrases we use today?

e.g do u know why prison guards are called screws?
coz in the olden days prisoners as punishement had to continously turn this wheel 500 times an hour (it didnt do anything, it was just a punishment). every hours the prison guards would come around and tighten the screws to make it more difficult.

ta da! information u couldnt live without smile

any more like this let me know .. ubbidea

(as u can prob tell im supposed 2 b doing work and am bored) x

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
got this on an email, not sure how much truth there is to it...... though it could very well be true, i mean, the word has to have come from somewhere...

In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent
of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King; the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.*.*.*. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it eek

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Faberge- ubblol ubblol ubblol That is so unlikely to be true. I also have a few points to raise.
1) This law is unenforceable.
2)how many minutes a day would the king spend signing offical letters saying people could make babies? also, wouldnt his hand get tired?
3)I spent a while trying to think of something funny about the sign they were given...but failed miserably.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i know, i know, just couldn't resist posting it though...

(would still like to hear from anyone who knows the true origin of the word though)

how about this one then....

In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden.... and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.....

Comments anyone??
Ladies are still not allowed membership in many a prestigous golf club....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I belive that James I of England (JamesIV scotland i think) invented Golf.

I also belive it was originally called Gof though...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ok, how about this then.....

Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. ! "Wet your whistle" is the phrase inspired by this practice.

(hey, don't blame me, i got them all from the same email, originating from the uk by the way wink)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That one is definatly true. I read about that too somewhere.

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
posh.
ever wondered?
it comes from long boat trips to india before that handy little canal got built
the hot equatorial sun would beat down on the left side of the ship going there and the right side of the ship going back. so the most expensive tickets were booked on the cool side of the ship
ta daa Port Out Starboard Home
posh!

or clique (an exclusive group of freinds) comes from the french word that a key makes when you turn it in a lock (like click) , a hangover from revolutionary days when meetings would be held behind locked doors and hence take on the name of the door locking.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yeh, the POSH one is also true. my dad worked on cruise ships when he was younger, i remember him telling me that one.

another english one for you.....

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old
England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's"

addict
469 posts

Posted:
eek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ive always wondered where it came from.
i though it was mind your manners as is is P for please and Q for thank you (a derrivation of anyway)
nice one

this one is shorter

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
the origin of the f-word - allegedly!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I had heard that P's and Q's one before.

Did you know that the Union Jack is only called the Union Jack when it is flying off a Jack post of a Ship. It's correct name is Union Flag. ubbangel

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

*poppy*BRONZE Member
27 posts

Posted:
I always assumed 'P's and Q's' means pleases and thankyous. And I never heard of anyone ordering a 'quart of ale my good sire'.
I heard the english habit of calling new zealanders 'kiwis' comes from the war when the new zealand soliders would polish their boots with polish called kiwi, and actually has nothing to do with kiwi fruit. Also on the subject of names the american call english limeys because when going over by boat they would carry huge amounts of limes to prevent scurvy.

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
the p's and q's thing is actually from the olden days when newspapers were type-set by hand (none of these fancy computer thingies). because of the way the printing presses work, the letters were all backwards so it was very easy to get the p's and q's mixed up.

Another one: The word 'snob' comes from the registers at certain fancy private schools where the abbreviation "s.nob" was put next to the names of the syudents who weren't of noble blood. S.nob is short for 'sans nobilité' which, i think, is French for 'without nobility' or something.

good thread btw. i love this kind of thing. dead interesting biggrin

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

Hobbitboymember
33 posts

Posted:
Cool thread.
I thort it was
Fowled Up Completely Knackered

Also whats the meaning of knackered cos it seems to have many? rolleyes

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Knackered dosent that come from the knackers yard wher they kill horses and turn them to glue.

did you know GIT meens pregnant camel
and a pilack is a pregnat fish (i think) eek

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
ye olde english sayings

a preggers camel is a preggers camel my pickled peach .. a git is THIS

and did you know the town im from (GOSPORT) actually derives from gods port (its a naval town, with a safe port and apparently was filled with many pubs and brothels)

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
this was one i learned in fashion college.....

the expression "the whole nine yards" comes from the days when men had their suits made by tailors. a top quality 3 piece suit uses 9 yards of fabric (this is true, if you want each piece cut along the grain of the fabric - this uses up more fabric than normal - hence a more costly suit)

"dressed to the nines" is drawn from this also.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
"rule of thumb"

men were allowed to beat their wives with anything as wide as their thumb, but not wider. hence the "rule of thumb"

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Avocado
From "awa guatl," a South American Indigenous word for testicle. The Spanish took this term and used to to refer to what we now call the avocado.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Mind your Ps and Qs

Meaning: Behave properly.
Example: Since drunk driving arrest, he has been minding his Ps and Qs.
Origin: Comes from the early pub days when beer and ale was served in pint and quart containers. The tab was kept on a chalkboard used to count the pints and quarts consumed. To watch your Ps and Qs is to control your alcoholic intake and behavior.
Thanks to Dennis Lampson

Not only did pub keepers maintain the count of pints and quarts consumed, they often maintained a tab for regular customers, especially sailors. The sailors tab was sometimes paid directly out of the sailors pay by the ship's captain. This to assure the pub keeper of payment.

However, this created the opportunity for the pub keeper to charge for a few extra pints and quarts. And in some cases the captain was in on this little deception, and shared in the extra payment. Hence it was to the sailors best interest to keep count of the pints and quarts. To mind his Ps and Qs.

Thanks to Neuticals

Alternatively,

Lower case Ps and Qs look similar and can be mistaken for each other. When setting moveable type printing presses, "minding your Ps and Qs" is important.

Similarly,

A person just learning how to write could easily confuse lower case Ps and Qs. Hence a need to be careful and "mind your Ps and Qs".

Thanks to Dan

Alternatively,

Ps and Qs may just be a childish word play for "please and thank yous"! Certainly this seems to fit with the accepted meaning.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
i found the above here

-Albert Einstein-

addict
469 posts

Posted:
not totally on topic but a point of interest that i was reminded of by the s.nob post

nottingham was originally called 'snottingham' until about 1760....something when it was mysteriously dropped to give us nottingham

the people of scunthorpe decided that this was not something they wanted to join in on.

this one is shorter

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
also off topic, but kinda fits in with the "useless but interesting info" theme of this thread....

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

go on lads, get your calculators out biggrin

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
did you know that when the trans-siberian express was built, the emperor who comissioned it got a ruler and just drew a straight line, but there was a tiny kink in the ruler, and so the railway line actually has a wiggle in it because they followed his directions so exactly.

also, the father of the Bronte sisters died standing up, leaning against a fireplace to prove it could be done.!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Quote:

also, the father of the Bronte sisters died standing up, leaning against a fireplace to prove it could be done.!

ubblol you make it sound like he just got up and chose to die so went and did it against a fireplace! ubblol

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Rule of thumb

Meaning: A basic rule that is usually but not always correct.
Example: As a rule of thumb, plant tomato seeds three inches deep.

Origin: Based on the use of ones thumb as a rough measurement tool. Generally correct for course measures.
Most old English measures of distance were based on the body measurements of the king--the length of the foot, inch (thumb tip to first knuckle), cubit (elbow-to-fingertip), and yard (nose-to-fingertip).

Alternatively,

Old English law (and potentially early American law) declared that it was okay for a man to beat his wife but had to use a stick no larger in diameter than his thumb.

There is no truth to the rumor that this law was an early start to the women's rights movement.

-Albert Einstein-

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

not totally on topic but a point of interest that i was reminded of by the s.nob post

nottingham was originally called 'snottingham' until about 1760....something when it was mysteriously dropped to give us nottingham

the people of scunthorpe decided that this was not something they wanted to join in on.

LMAO!!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
One origin of "rule of thumb" that I have heard many times has something to do with crimes punishable by cutting off the criminal's thumb.... hence "rule of thumb."

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I heard that F**k came from the german word flichen, meaning to strike. that could be incorrect information, however. Oh, and a reason i heard for the 'whole 9 yards' thing was one of the fighter planes in world war 2. a full load of ammo, laid end to end, came to 27 feet, so when a pilot came back empty, he'd say 'i gave them the whole 9 yards'

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Quote:

"rule of thumb"

men were allowed to beat their wives with anything as wide as their thumb, but not wider. hence the "rule of thumb"

learned that one from the "Boondock Saints"!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

Page: