Page:
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
You like Butterflies ? You like the Splittime and its TTN Derivatives especially ??
- Then this one will be the right thing for you !! - Quartertime Butterflies.
The Splittime Butterfly taken from one side to the other looks like 2 Balls jumping from right to left !?! So to say between 3 oclock (right) and 9 oclock (left). Quartertime would then be playing between1:30 to 7:30 or between 4:30 and 10:30. A mix between split time and a normal butterfly.
Example: Start Buttefly 7:30 BHB, bring it to the front and go on playing it 1:30 BHH and back again . . . .
Playing between those and the TTN variations is quite fun and looks not too bad.
The "mathematics" behind it (especially the ttns) are beautiful, one of my biggest interests in Poi and can be applied to weaves etc too ubblove - (yes I would consider myself a Poi nerd biggrin )

Cheers

andreas

PS: To onewheeldave: The onehanded versions look even better and are worth a try !

PPS: Turning of the butterfly from normal to splittime in one direction to backwards to splittime the otherdirection and to normal again is hereby beeing named Turning The Time (TTT) because of the turning-the-sandglass look.
And btw has been invented by ME wave beerchug wink beerchug wave

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
biggrini got it down xept it tilted my hands lolsees logical gotta try your pom pom and dadum technique lol

it must be green

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
i know what you mean,

can you make it change ti9me without stopping spinning then????
this sounds veeerrrryy interesteing

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . . . . . . . . . . ZAP

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I did this for my 'civilian' freinds on the beach last night.... and they didnt get it!!! ubbcrying

gonna haveta practice some more and video it before i decide how effective it really is.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I just dont see much use for quarter time. I feel that its too similar to both parallel and split time and non-spinners will just think youre doing stuff sloppy.

Then again, I can only do weave and butterfly in quartertime so far so maybe theres a good use Im just not aware of.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

its more the turning the time im intrested in, as cole points out its well usefull for butterfly flowers, and im shure there are many benifits we aint even used yet, especially for 2+ spinners together ubblove

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
goin to a pary tonight and i'de like to get that diagonal left quarter time ( 10:30n 5:30)
i understood tghat dadum thing but its creates a quearter time 1:30 n 7:30
helpp?

it must be green

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Try dumda - ok, sorry, bad joke umm

Ok, now seriously: Try to have the other hand on top - sould work now ?!?

ubbrollsmile

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

just dont see much use for quarter time. I feel that its too similar to both parallel and split time and non-spinners will just think youre doing stuff sloppy.

Exactly what I was thinking... I was spinning at school today, and someone I just started teaching to spin (Only learned 3 beat weave and butterfly so far :P) said, "Hmm... your spinning is off today! Your poi are a little bit apart!"

I tried to explain 1/4 time to her, but she just said, "That's stupid. Looks like you're just lazy and doing split time wrong". A bit funny, but I'd have to agree - the patterns created just look like either a sloppy split time or a sloppy same time.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I was just thinking. Would it be possible to smoothly go from same time butterfly to quarter time (1:30/7:30) to split time to quarter time (4:30/10:30) to same time and so on so that youre basically rotating the point of intersection? I think that would looks pretty wicked if you got it down right. I think all you would really need to do is have one poi rotate slightly faster than the other so for every beat, one poi does 1.5 rotations.

I call that one the kamikaze

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Yup, 1.5:1 is the same as 3:2. Glass has been doing that stuff from what I hear. Sounds fun.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
@ Millenium: The problem is a clean control of the quartertime. I do them not bad but still I am far from being clean. One-handed is automatically kind of clean though. In te beginning all moves seem to be pointless and unclean, and newbies would say that they cant see the difference. Quartertime is nothing new&spectacular but a nice variation and well worth learning.

@ Icon: This is actually what TurningTheTime is all about - a smooth rotation of the butterfly. What everyone is normally doing when going from sametime Butterfly to splittime Butterfly one-handed (That would be 1/4 of the whole movement)

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
**aigh goit lasy i guess lol all the mvoes i'v leanred half way are not as smooth and dependable,.... wasnt dry so couldnt butst the new material for the party but stilll riped the dance floor:)) 3 timessss weavesmiley
party was sickness but
wouldve been better having mastered that turning the clock frown

it must be green

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
use for "quarter time";

quarter time bfly airwraps that follow the lines of movement in a dance move. my current routine has some mirror ww knots that go from left btb10:00--> right front 4:00 for the first volley and rt btb2:00-->left front 7:00 for the second. both knots are done while following the lean of my body as i am (hopefully) belly dancing (if i'm not half asleep or on too many chemicals). having control over the angle of the intersections (IOW changing the time, moving the clock) is an invaluable skill in both framing moves with dance and 3d spinnning.

how's that NYC - hopefully not cryptic, or too overhead.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I think you can learn some of this stuff semi-intuitively by letting your body do the "thinking" for you. Well, with lots of practice, of course.

That is... I only learned the butterfly (after 4 months of spinning) when Dio in Bangkok showed it to me with the hands going up and down. If you move your hands up and down as the poi move up and down, you don't have to think about timing and synchronizing your poi. Likewise, split-time is about moving the hands side to side. My brain still won't let me do that smoothly, but I'm convinced that that is the key. This is why Andy thinks one-handed is easier to learn -- because with one-handed version, you're moving your hands along the axis to keep the poi moving. Does that make sense?

So the hard part of all this is then getting it so that the music plays, the poi is always down on the beat, but your hands can move independent of that. I suspect that you'll just end up going 7:30 on the beat instead.

I'm so used to slowing down and speeding up the poi all the time that I doubt I can keep time properly with my poi... but as people have said, this exercise can be really useful for more butterfly variations that haven't been explored yet.
EDITED_BY: Orbit (1115415311)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
exactly, orbit, that's how it's done (at least by moi). getting the timing correct shouldn't be too hard if you use that visualisation, just move the hands on the axis to either point (say 4 or 10:00) on the beat. the hard part until you get comfortable should be keeping the x shape clean while tilted, esp. despite transitions into and out of the bfly. it takes a bit of visualisation to figure out the "cut" of the wick within the sphere. i suspect losing the tilt to the x is your real problem. remote viewing is handy for online workshops, eh? wink

the hard part for me was the threading... moving from one x shape to the higher degree/beat opposite x shape without my left hand losing it and going into an unintentional knot. but as with anything it's just a matter of practice.

incedentally; doing that one handed bfly rotation through the clock is an excellent way to see the simple bfly knots, my preferred method. (patent pending)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
ive been working on what i call a 360 butterfly where the crossover points spin around, starting at normal, then to what you call quatertime, then to spilt, then back to quater (opporsite quater?) then reversed, and round and round it goes!!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Do a search for "turning the time" for more info on that.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Page: