Page:
stickyfishmember
39 posts

Posted:
I love using big words and really impressing people (well, make me feel like I'm impressong them anyway) however reading through the dictionary is a real bore (trust me, I've done it). I always seem to find the page with all the most uninteresting words on it.

What I thought was people could post up big/long/interesting words with a definition and we could all expand our vobaularys and become pretentious farts and strut around with our noses in the air while using stupidly long and complicated words.

B.T.W. This would probably help us spot other HOPers in the general public.

taztasticBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
I love the french word seulement. i really like the sound of it.

C@ntus, offend me all you like!!! R u i of the sheffield park poiers/staffers. I know orange quite well from his London sojourns.

*dreams about lazy spring days, and munching crepes in parks*

[ 19 April 2002, 22:33: Message edited by: taztastic ]

If I could turn back time and take back what I just said; I wouldn't - The Wise Words Of Taztastic (Excerpt)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
That's what I thought it was Thank you little Sister.

Meh

taztasticBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
This is still in line with vocabularly expansion. Have any of u tried making sentences using just one letter. Someone starts with the letter a, then some one else with the letter B. You have to make the sentences as silly and as complicated as possible. Heres an example:-

Crazed Chemical Chugging Clubbing Cultists Consume Chai Carafes Conspicuously

OR

Kakorrhaphiophobic katatonic killerwhales kissing kuddly ketamine kittens

BTW Isn't Kakorrhaphiophobic a great word. It means a fear of failure!! Just pronouncing that word makes me kakorrhaphiophobic!!!

If I could turn back time and take back what I just said; I wouldn't - The Wise Words Of Taztastic (Excerpt)

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I like all the words that have greek / latin / any other etymology.
I find it fun to trace back where the word originates...
The French love words with greek origins, they use them cause they sound so clever when they do
In French wa say gynecologue (Gyneacologist, right ?) but the german are just logical Frauenartz (doctor for women... obviously !!!!)

there is something elitist in wilingly using complicated words. I do think it is important to use one's language and all the richness it expresses (and not like me just using "nice", "bad" an other simple adjectives cause my vocabulary is limited in some languqges). But in general, I have tremendous respect for those who manage to express a very complicated concept with very simple words ...

Taz, it is so funny you like the word Seulement
it is so true that some words just sound nice

I also think that sometimes, one language just has THE best way of imaging something / expressing a feeling.

My favourite curses are in french
BASHIBOUZOUK (used by Captain Haddock, if enyone reads teh comic "Tintin")

the most beautiful way to call your loved one IMO is Neshama (my soul in hebrew)

I love the spanish "bale" when something is OK

I adore the japanese "soo desu ka" (is taht so ?) whenever they hear something.

I can't get enough of the word "shanti" from india it's so much better than any word like "cool" or "laid back" (please fogive the spelling mistakes).

etc, etc ...

Can't think of many things I like more than learning other anguages and playing with them

Did I get carried away again ?

EVERYONE WAKE UP, Cass iis fanished ranting AGAIN

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

taztasticBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
so desu, hai hai, ah so desu ka, neh?!!!

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
supercalifragilisticexpealidoecious

and yes, i am doing an english degree...

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I find you all quite sesquipedalian.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

taztasticBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
NYC: lol. BUT my friend, I must say that I find you highly susceptible to long bouts of prolongation. In a word, i find you to be altiloquent. Magniloquent and grandiloquent too!!!

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
I like ambivolent.

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

Page: