Page:
joe_sixstepsmULti-torTOISe
310 posts
Location: Kent currently, Cornwall soon, New Zealand eventua...

Posted:
As the purported justifications for the invasion of Iraq prove one by one to be the baseless lies of leaders who had decided on conflict before looking for a reason, we are left with the sole excuse that the value of Democracy is worth the price paid in Iraqi lives.

I’m surprised that we consider ourselves in a position to judge the value of that transaction, and I am left wondering if Democracy is really worth such an exorbitant price.

For once, I am going to ignore that bloody handed despot on the other side of the Atlantic, and concentrate on my own beloved leader, Tony Blair. He led his country into war in the face of majority opposition from both his own party and his public. To do this, and to muster what slim support he could, it begins to look as though he or his agents summoned every flimsy scrap of evidence that they could lay their hands on, and twisted it as far as possible to argue their case. One by one his justifications are being shot down:
- there have been no WMDs
- it becomes clear that all the “intelligence” we had on them was flimsy, plagiarised guess-work, for the most part out of date
- during the war, British troops used cluster bombs on built-up civilian areas, making a mockery of any pretence of altruism toward Iraqi civilians
- no connection has been demonstrated between the Ba’ath party and Al Qaeda
- it is the opinion of experts both from within the UN and independently, that the threat of terrorism within Iraq and toward the Western nations has been significantly increased by the destabilisation of the area, and the violence done to the Iraqi people (Roust, Dec 2003)

In addition, any semblance of an altruistic justification for the invasion is turned into a sick joke by the support given by the “coalition of the willing” to other regimes engaged in far more hideous atrocities against their own people (eg Uzbekistan – see other threads for details), and by the late timing of our supposed outrage – Rumsfeld met Saddam in Baghdad after the gassing of the Kurds.

The following is an excerpt from a letter which appeared in the Guardian, 22/01/04

Quote:

War Crimes in Iraq

[…] “shock and awe” bombing raids indiscriminately killed 15 – 35,000 people and injured untold others. This is an offence under article 8, schedule 6 of the ICC statute, enacted by the UK in 2001, which outlaws: (a)(iii) “wilfully causing great suffering”; (a)(iv) “extensive destruction and appropriation of property”; (b)(ii) “intentionally directing attacks against civilian objects” and; (b)(iv) “launching an attack in the knowledge that it will cause incidental loss of life”.
Tony Blair admitted in parliament (Hansard, March 23 2002): “If there is conflict there will be civilian casualties”; proving he knew the attack would kill or injure civilians.
[discussion of the sanctions] Madeleine Albright proved genocidal intent when, told that 460,000 children had died as a result of the sanctions, she said: “It is a price worth paying.”
[…]

Michael Mansfield QC
Dr James Thring

Legal Action Against War

It is clear to me that the invasion of Iraq was both illegal and immoral. Whether, in the long term, the Iraqi people will be better off, I don’t know, but I refuse to believe that we had reached the point where no other solution but war was possible. Prior to the invasion, we saw the greatest peaceful demonstration that Britain has ever known, on the streets of London. Tony Blair engaged in this slaughter against the wishes of the people he supposedly represents, yet is still in power.

And what can we do about it? We are strangely powerless. We had no legal recourse whatsoever to stop him going to war. We could have armed ourselves, taken to the streets… but what difference is there between that and life under a dictatorship? One presumes that Tony Blair wouldn’t start gassing the home counties… but he could still have us all arrested, and held indefinitely without trial under suspicion of being terrorists. Many people were arrested for demonstrating peacefully – what would have happened if they had been trying just that little bit harder?

And after the bombing is over? Assuming that the Hutton inquiry doesn’t finish him off, Tony Blair looks set to stay in power up to the next election. And that is where my question lies. I swore that if Britain went to war, I would never vote Labour again. Yet now the Tory party seems strangely re-invigorated under Howard, and even more bloodthirsty and right wing than Labour. I am frightened that voting with my conscience (either Lib Dem or Green Party), along with similar votes cast by what used to be the Labour left, coupled with a swing from the centre toward the Tory party, will result in a Conservative government for the next four years – privatisation of universities, the reclassification of cannabis, and the hideous, inevitable backlash against those scapegoats of the new millennium, the asylum seekers.

So there we have it. In our oh-so-wonderful democracy, we have no legal way to stop our government from perpetrating atrocities in our name, and no legal recourse to condemn them in the aftermath. If we show our displeasure by voting against the party we hold to be responsible, we may well end up with something worse. We are powerless.

Is democracy really worth anything at all?

*Note – I am not saying that the removal of Saddam will not have benefits for the Iraqi people, or that there is no difference between our failed democracy and his open dictatorship. However, I think that his removal could have been accomplished through peaceful means, and I think that the mechanised slaughter that the “coalition of the willing” has conducted on the Iraqi people, coupled with the genocidal effects of the sanctions which preceded the invasion, can never be justified.

The Confusion Squid has many tentacles

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
WHR, you just murdered somebody, got pissed off and ran the F%^**^ over. 20 years later your out of jail. If you were that unstable that you would loose controle and murder someone and after 20 years of harsh confinement with only a sega instead of Playstation 2 to keep you company, are you really going to be in the right state of mind to choose who should lead the country?

I don't think anyone who murders in cold blood is mentaly stable to vote. That is my opinion but perhaps that is why they are not allowed to vote.

Frsoty, ever hear of afermitive action? A case of the minorities controling the democracy.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
so Ray, if I understand your opinion correctly you do not believe in rehabilitation.

Once a murderer always a murderer???

Then why is that person back on the streets after 20 years?

If they can be trusted to be a part of society again then they should be trusted to vote.

2,905 posts

Posted:
One word: Example

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*is watching this thread very closely*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
*also watching thread*

but will also comment....

I do not agree with stopping felons from voting on the grounds of, as Ray says: "are you really going to be in the right state of mind to choose who should lead the country?"

A couple of big reasons:
One - as has been mentioned. Once you've 'served your debt to society' you are a free person, and should be allowed all the rights of a free person.

Two: If this is how you're thinking then perhaps we should advocate a test before people are allowed to vote so that they can prove they are politically aware before voting? How about background checks to make sure they're morally upstanding too. And psych screening can weed out the nutcases.

A huge number of people only vote a particular way because historically they always have. Or due to biased influence from family, friends, TV commercials or the media. It seems to me that many voters don't really know why they vote, or get influenced by others.

How many people actually know how poticis works, look at all the angles, then decides who to vote for? Very, very few. But maybe only this small percentage should actually be allowed the vote as they're the only 'worthy' ones?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
*feels the gimlet eyes of the mods boring into his soul* wink

Quote:

But maybe only this small percentage should actually be allowed the vote as they're the only 'worthy' ones?

My word mr Døm, how seductively you advocate feudalism ubblol

i stand by democracy as the least bad system.

^ i still reckon what i said up there ^

Someone who wilfully damages society should not further participate in deciding how it is run.

but whether low level crimes qualify for that is another matter.

is it actually true that in the US a single conviction for, say, possession of narcotics, automatically means you lose your vote forever? umm

if so then i'm shocked.

edit - oh right, in 8 states. i'm guessing that they're toward the southern end. am i right?
EDITED_BY: simian (1076083785)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

2,905 posts

Posted:
Dom, you're more than right, but felons are of differnt statute than a purse snatcher who got caught.

I don't know why they don't alow them to vote, I just gave an example of a minor possibility. But the reason I brought up the idea of that possibility goes back to my opinoin of rights. If you murdered somebody, why should we care about your rights? You didn't care about the person's rights who you just killed now did you?

It may not be good logic, but atleast to me... it is there. smile

3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

If you murdered somebody, why should we care about your rights? You didn't care about the person's rights who you just killed now did you?

That would make us just as bad as him, and then nobody would have any rights, and that would be a bad thing.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

2,905 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Neither is how the UK is running at the moment with whips turning up and getting our MPs who are meant to be representing the public to toe the line instead, just incase anyone thought this was all anti-US.

Ohhh another cheep and lame stab from the frostmyster ubbloco peace

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Ray. Explain why that sentance is a cheap stab please.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Well Dom in order to 100% understand why it was a jab you would have to know Frosty. Let's put it this way, Frosty is everything that I am trying to give up and then some, just in a prettier package.

It is the last part of the sentence; it was a direct message to me basically saying nyah nyah shadup and so on and so forth. A stab, he missed, but still a stab.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
"you would have to know Frosty" - Check your PMs

His comment was actually a valid reference to our current situation in the UK. He was pointing out that the criticism expressed by those living in the UK is fuelled by our situation. Recently Blair had to pull out all the stops and basically convice and convince in order to get one of his main bills through. In the end it passed by 6 votes - when his majority it 160. It went through partially because of the votes of Scottish MPs - where the Bill will not take effect mad

Blair has got to the stage where he admits he expects his MPs to completely follow what he says. This isn't a democracy, it's a farce. On top of that he's in deep water at the moment for having to admit to being either a liar or incompetent. The Hutton enquire officially came out in favour of the government - regardless of the fact that the official findings are contradicted by the public available evidence. But regardless of the headlines and the fact he's not lagging in opinion polls he keeps looking smug and he keeps getting away with it.

So all in all Frosty's post was perfectly valid.

And in case you didn't know due to our parliment being so old we still have odd phrases. A 'Whip' is a person who's job is to make sure that their fellow party members tow the party line and discipline out of order MPs. They've been really, really busy lately!

Also I haven't had a chance to look into it, but voting rights are denied to a large range of offenders, not just murderers and rapists. Then add on top of that the Florida example where people with similar names where excluded. Innocent people are also denied a fundamental American right.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Dom, once again, it isnt what someone says, it is how it is said and precieved. He could be 100% right, but how he said it, was what I thought as a stab.

Dom, I've read Stupid White Men, I know about the Florida issue, yep a major F^*( up but man you can't say that it happens all the time, atleast not all the time on purpose wink

3,149 posts

Posted:
After a bit of a think about it, i'm inclined to agree that no criminal should have their franchise permanently removed.
thin end of the wedge and all that...

Dom, are you suffering from the common misconception that our political system is 'meant' to be a democracy?

It has democratic elements, but is still based on the premise that the people don't generally know best.

Dom say
Quote:

But regardless of the headlines and the fact he's not lagging in opinion polls [Blair] keeps looking smug and he keeps getting away with it.

Lack of any real competition, innit? You prefer Michael Howard (ENH)? No, i thought not.

but don't you reckon it's getting more likely Blair's going to get stabbed in the back by his own party, Thatcher stylee?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Don't worry, I'm under no preconceptions about a democracy existing anywhere. There are however places that seem to do it a lot better than us.

And at least Micheal "draw horns on me and see how well they fit" Howard proves an opposition and will hopefully reduce Labour's majority in the next election.

310 posts

Posted:
No, please vote - abstaining in disgust is too easily misinterpreted as apathy. Vote for the green party, then at least whoever wins out of the two almost identical main parties will notice a swell of environmental concern, and may make more of an effort next time.

3,149 posts

Posted:
"Two almost identical main parties" eek

No. Of the two main parties neither may lean far enough left for you (and me)

But the Tories are still WELL to the right of Labour.

Take a look at the policies. Particularly, as far as my interest extends, on [the subject we aren't allowed to talk about].

All politicians are evil hypocrites.

Some are more evil and hypocritical than others.

310 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry, I'm going to stand by that statement. When you say "well to the right", what are you really talking about - about the genuine differences made to the lives of people in this country or in others? There is no real difference mate. None at all. I'd still rather have Labour than Tories, agreed, as they are still at least nominally to the left, but in some respects I think a period of Tory government might demonstrate to the Labour party the degree to which their actions have been held against them... so I don't think it matters much.

I think that the invasion of Iraq, sanctioned by both the Tory and the Labour party, was so morally hideous that any minor differences pale in comparison. Who gives a shlt about drugs, if that's what you're talking about? Who cares if a bunch of rich middle class caners get busted every now and again?

Both the Tory and the Labour party are pandering their asylum policy to the tabloid fueled paranoia - if Tony Blair doesn't feel able to go as far as Michael Howard at the moment, that's just political strategy, not conscience.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I think that the invasion of Iraq, sanctioned by both the Tory and the Labour party, was so morally hideous that any minor differences pale in comparison.

The iraq issue is the subject of a different thread in this forum, so i won't touch it here.

Quote:

Who gives a shlt about drugs, if that's what you're talking about? Who cares if a bunch of rich middle class caners get busted every now and again?

i do, its an important issue of civil rights, and indicative of the parties attitude toward civil rights and logical non-tabloid fuelled legislation in general.

but again thats isn't for discussion here.

Anyway, a single issue does not make a political landscape.

On Asylum: yes yes yes. i agree entirely smile

310 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i do, its an important issue of civil rights, and indicative of the parties attitude toward civil rights and logical non-tabloid fuelled legislation in general.

Civil rights? Maybe, but it's got to be about the least important of all the civil rights that get abused and ignored by this country. If accepting a sentence of life in prison for everyone caught with a reefer would have prevented the war in Iraq, caused the collapse of the British small arms trade to poverty stricken conflict zones or even persuaded our government to abandon just the interest on Third World debt then I wouldn't think twice.

Sure, in an ideal world we could take whatever we want, but I'm afraid that it just doesn't even feature on a list of my concerns. When I was at Uni I had a lot of fun organising a "Legalize It" campaign and getting up the noses of all our college deans. Afterwards I was bragging happily about it to my Mum, and she said "Yes, it's good that you're not apathetic, but it's a shame that with all the things that are going on in the world, all you think is important enough to get active about is this."

Aye. When you say that it's an "important issue of civil rights," what are you comparing it to?

Anyway, to get back to the point -

Quote:

a single issue does not make a political landscape

Or, in this case, a political desert, the drab hopelesness of which is enlivened here and there by the rotting corpse of a some desolate idealist... I agree with this comment, but I think that there's a disparity between your two arguments - you want to use the drugs issue as an indicator of attitude to civil rights, but you're not prepared to take Iraq as an indicator of the propensity to commit mass slaughter for dubious political and economic gain...

A metaphor. You are in a small control room with two psychopaths. The walls are lined with buttons, which you quickly realise are connected to some of the most sophisticated weapons systems on the planet. Probably neither psychopath will kill you, but they want you to decide which of them will be allowed to play with the buttons. You know that whichever one you choose will cause the deaths of thousands and thousands of people.

As you sit and think about this choice, one of the psychopaths comes over to you and, with a big, photogenic grin, offers you a toke on his spliff. Does this really make any difference to your choice?

umm
EDITED_BY: joe_sixsteps (1076526372)

2,905 posts

Posted:
Quote:

A metaphor. You are in a small control room with two psychopaths. The walls are lined with buttons, which you quickly realise are connected to some of the most sophisticated weapons systems on the planet. Probably neither psychopath will kill you, but they want you to decide which of them will be allowed to play with the buttons. You know that whichever one you choose will cause the deaths of thousands and thousands of people.

Now, I may not be understanding your analogy fully, so let me tell you what I think you are saying before going on. I read, that in no matter what country, a presidential/PM/whatever election, in the end boils down to two psycopaths who just want to press nuke buttons, is this even close to being right?

If I am right, then I feel that your analogy is really absurde, if I am wrong don't bother reading any futher because it is just me writing senceless garbage tongue

So, assuming that I am right I will continue.

The above analogy is wrong because, how can you truly know that one of those two psycopaths will, once they get the chance, play with the buttons? What if you have a pro-war as all hades type guy in office and something comes up and instead of jumping into it he finds a peacefull soloution?

Would Bush be a button pressing psycopath if, say something happens in the next few months and instead of sending troops, he finds a peacefull way out of it? While granted you have your opinoin of what he has done in the past, what if he does a 180? How does that effect your opinion?

3,149 posts

Posted:
Joe, not everyone shares your exact stance on iraq. Myself and the above postee for a start wink i'd estimate that 95% of threads in this forum are about iraq, so do we need another one?

You're sounding a bit wound up, considering none of our opinions actually impact on the situation. That could be me reading you wrong though... Remember, in general everyone wants worldwide happiness and justice (even Bush and Blair, though you might not believe it), we just have different ideas of how best to get there. We've probably smashed our heads together enough about the war by now to know we ain't convincing each the other of our point of view.

and much as i'd like to reply to what you've said, anything touching the drug issue isn't for this board unless there's been a rules change.

*flogs himself with birch twigs for bringing it up in the first place*

We can have a debate about it over tea and cakes this weekend if you want smile
relaxed and friendly debates tend to reach more satisfying conclusions, cos it becomes easier to concede your dodgy points, rather than arguing for the sake of it.
(rhetorical you, not accusatory ubbrollsmile )

and that really is my final final final words on either of those matters here
*zips mouth shut*

*unzips*

oh, Ray: You did miss the point of Joe's metaphor, because he wasn't talking about any politician. He specifically meant the two main parties in the UK at the moment. Whether Joe thinks all politicians are psychotic is an undiscussed and entirely different matter. But would be a good starter to getting this thread a bit less UK specific.

(oh that was my fault too wasn't it? spank)

3,149 posts

Posted:
spank

100 lines Frosty:

i must not troll

2,905 posts

Posted:
Well... It wouldn't be the first time I missed the point.

I still think it is jacked up to think that way about a person befor ever seeing them in the office. But that is just me.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Yes, but we have seen them both in office.

Tony Blair as Prime Minister, and Michael Howard as Home Secretary in the previous government.
(Home Secretary is basically in charge of all the laws that apply to UK citizens)

Howard wasn't a nice home secretary mad

People were going out and having fun and he thought it was dangerous so he made parties illegal.

no, really. He did frown

3,149 posts

Posted:
Having said the above, is that Joe's cue to tell me i shouldn't be annoyed about the Criminal Justice Bill when there's other worse things in the world? wink

310 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Joe, not everyone shares your exact stance on iraq. Myself and the above postee for a start i'd estimate that 95% of threads in this forum are about iraq, so do we need another one?

Agreed, this isn't just about their attitude to Iraq - small arms trade, third world debt, asylum policy, the funding of "friendly" dictators and a glad-handed attitude to the truth would do just as well as indices of the underlying attitude. I feel that it's still very relevant though - my first post in this thread was asking whether the invasion of Iraq rendered our own democracy redundant. Debate about there being any significant difference between our two major parties is in that precise topic.

Quote:

Remember, in general everyone wants worldwide happiness and justice (even Bush and Blair, though you might not believe it), we just have different ideas of how best to get there.

I'm very interested in this comment as well. I have to say that whilst in general you may be right, I think that most people may say that they want it in theory, but then direct almost all of their actions toward a quite different end. I have recently read several very good books about the history of British foreign policy, which generally point toward the conclusion that our government has absolutely no concern for the lives or wellfare of pretty much the whole population of the world, unless such concern can be realised as votes.

The litany of casual disregard for human life which can be laid at our door is damning. Even where it looks as though we're trying to do the right thing, we have our hands bloodied beneath the surface. For example, of the top five recipiants of British overseas aid in the last five years, government subsidised arms companies have been the largest small arms supplier to... all five of them.

I have to admit, I do get very wound up about this. I sometimes find relaxed debate extremely difficult. Saying that our opinions have no impact on the situation is tantamount to saying that democracy has become irrelevant - so you may well be right. I plan on voting, but I don't imagine that the next government, whether they call themselves Tory or Labour, will be different from the current one in any way that I think really matters.

I'm looking forward to tea and cakes though Simian - I promise to try and calm down! Perhaps we can even take advantage of our current governments recently relaxed stance on certain issues to calm me down even further... though I doubt that the debate will benefit much! confused

3,149 posts

Posted:
Indeed smile

Quote:

small arms trade, third world debt, asylum policy, the funding of "friendly" dictators and a glad-handed attitude to the truth would do just as well as indices of the underlying attitude.

Exactly what i meant when i was saying that relatively small issues do have greater importance than you may imagine. They are indicators of the 'mood' of a government.

i have to say the Tory policies toward small arms trade, third world debt and asylum are all far less liberal than the current Labour policies.

when it comes to attitudes toward the truth: Mr Hichael Moward has a much worse record than Mr Blony Tair.

(You'd think i'd be tired of going on about how nasty Howard is by now. But i'm not. He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil)

If you want more liberal than that, then you could vote Lib Dem. They're quite popular apparently (particularly in the constituency of Monkey Treehouse East ubbangel)

and the War in Iraq could well see more support for them, after both main parties supported the war fully, while the population tended toward disagreement.

But there is that factor of "we don't know what'll happen if these guys actually get powerful" aka better the devil you know.

Anyway, final unrelated point that occurs to me: many people think they are representative of the majority opinion in this country because they are representative of the opinions of the people they know.

The two are not the same thing by any means.

310 posts

Posted:
Quote:

[Quote:] small arms trade, third world debt, asylum policy, the funding of "friendly" dictators and a glad-handed attitude to the truth would do just as well as indices of the underlying attitude.

Exactly what i meant when i was saying that relatively small issues do have greater importance than you may imagine. They are indicators of the 'mood' of a government.

Relatively small issues? Probably I'm too drunk to start debating this (the first party have turned up, and are juggling behind me as we speak), but I don't think these are small issues. Labour stated policy on small arms sales to conflict zones is identical to the Tory position, ie. no real restrictions whatsoever. Hawk jets with machine gun fittings to the Indonesian government? Special price for you sir, since you're an old customer. No record has been kept of the precise money donated by each party to regimes which contravene human rights... but I doubt we'd find much difference.

Michael Howard is certainly promising to be 'tougher on Asylum Seekers,' but he can't do much more than Labour have done already without publicising it.

As far as voting Lib Dem goes, we're back to the precise point of this debate. We can vote Lib Dem, almost sure they won't get in, and dubious of their ability if they do, or we can register a priority by voting green, but either make it more likely that we get Howard as swing voters leave Labour. Or we follow your strategy of fearing the Tories more than we condemn Labour for their actions, vote Labour and condone everything they've done in the last four years. (Even if we might not agree with elements of policy, our voting for them really does make us responsible for their actions)

I restate my position - there is no significant difference on the issues I consider important, and I (along with a significant proportion of the population) have no credible way of influencing those issues.

But we can debate this when you get here. When do you get here?

3,149 posts

Posted:
ok, i didn't make myself clear enough

i wasn't saying those issues were small.

but that looking at all the issues is important, whether small (as you'd dismissed the ones that directly concern me of being) or large, because they're "indices of the underlying attitude".

I'll be getting down there tonight with mr dizzy and mr moohaahaa. Probably around 9ish(?) maybe possibly ishhh uhhmmm

Page: