dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
While I pride myself in knowing some about computer software I know NOTHING about hardware. i.e. hard drives and motherboards. i have been reading a lot and know a lot more than i did, just a testament to how little i knew, but my g/f gave me her old computer and i really wanna tweak it out. over clock it and make it really fast. soooooooooooooooooooo if any of you know anything either message me or email me or reply or whatever...im just looking for help EVERYWHERE! beerchug

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Lesson One - CPU Doesn't not refer to Computer. It's short for "Central Processing Unit" which is a fancy way of saying Processor. So the term "CPU hardware" is flawed.

Lesson Two - When Overclocking, put an emphasis on Cooling. Although a lot of people would go with Water cooling if your going to tweek your computer up the bum, i'd say go with a lot of Fan. A properly air cooled system should be more than enough to keep up with any sort of overclocking your doing.

also, be prepared to spend money. Overclocking isn't simply going into the bios and changing some stuff around, if you do this you'll fry your board, ram, cards, or processor Or More.. some people would go out and buy system monitoring systems which you can view without opening a program, these are mounted on your case, they're nice, and fancy, but not for small time tweekers.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
if you want to make it [censored] hot... DONT overclock it

Buy a new motherboard and processor...and b i g fan.

with overclocking you can only increase the speed by about 5-10% max. ...this bascially means you cant take a 333mhz xchip and over clock it to 3 ghz...this aint going to happen no matter how much you stamp your feet.

Darkdevil- i was going to say that your first point was a load of crap but i then realised you were right... Do'h!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

While I pride myself in knowing some about computer software I know NOTHING about hardware. i.e. hard drives and motherboards. i have been reading a lot and know a lot more than i did, just a testament to how little i knew, but my g/f gave me her old computer and i really wanna tweak it out. over clock it and make it really fast.

This is a good opportunity to learn about hardware. I'd forget about overclocking cos to do it properly will be quite complicated and the speed increase won't be that great.

A year ago I was up on software stuff but knew nothing about hardware. When I got old of a spare pc I learnt a lot by having to take it apart and switch hard drives etc.

I'd recomend getting a beginners book on pc repair/buliding and learning how to connect drives etc.

Adding memory is a simple way to boost performance. If you can get a spare hard drive you can connect it in as a 'slave' drive which is a good way of getting data from one drive to another, and will teach you about hard drives and jumper settings.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Yo, I can help ya build a system. Built my own from scratch parts. You know where I'm at, get in touch with me smile

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i've heard you can power a computer off a potatoe.

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
thanks for the advice...Dio I should be in touch soon...potato power.................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm umm

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i've heard you can power a computer off a potatoe.

Hrmm, a clock maybe... but a computer requires 200-300watts of electricity. It's be cool to try... apparently the less fresh the potato the more volts it generates.. I don't know much about electricity but .040 volts of power after 7 days of sitting on a shelf doesn't seem like much.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
You never used a Z80, did you?

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i did..

hahaha..

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
umm, no, i didn't have a slide rule either. My first computer had 48k of ram, fjear. eek

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Slide rules are cool, but probably aren't power-able off a potato. I imagine a PIC might be though. I suspect a Z80 probably is.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ubbidea potato aerotechs?