Forums > Social Chat > COL2 Official Constructive Criticism Page

Login/Join to Participate

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Alright fellow dancers, I still have not gotten my copy (have been running out to my mailbox every day), but being that I submitted a vid myself, I would definitely like some constructive criticism, and welcome any comments. I have definitely seen my own weaknesses. As soon as I submitted mine, I realized how limited I was with my style. This might be a good page to critique the styles (in a positive manner?) of all we dancers who participated... yeah? By the way, on the vid i am xochidance, not shibakithanks to Malcom for this unique site and the vidblessings to all[This message has been edited by Shibaki (edited 08 December 2001).]

Wow

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
First of all, Shibaki, if there is something you are lacking it is deffinitly NOT style...I am very impressed with your dancing. You are deffititly very coordinated to be able to move around like that and still not hit yourself (on accident that is!) I noticed you didn't do any "extreamly technical stuff" but it is hard to tell because you have so much style and movement in your dance, the overall effect is quit hypnotic, making it hard to concentrate on looking for technical moves. In fact, your movements are so dancelike that it is hard to tell that you aren't doing exteamly technical moves. So, I think you have a good style. GOOD JOB!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I agree--Shibaki (or whatever you want to call yourself)--yours was one of the segments that stuck in my mind for its uniqueness. You really move around more and better than most twirlers.My main regrets were not so much with the twirling portrayed as with the technical aspects surrounding it: some of the segments were shot using not-so-good equipment, some without tripods, etc. And while I know Malcolm is constrained to use music he has the rights to, it's too bad we can't hear the same music the twirlers were performing to.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
cant believe you guys already have your copies...bloody Slack Aussie work ethic...sometimes its good for nothing smileJosh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Adamrice: about quality - was unfortunately unavoidable for heather and I, the whole weekend ended up a shambles and we couldnt find Finn that night to get the tripod, it had been raining for about 12 hours and the ground was wet and there were bushes and grasses in the only spot we could twirl (thanks to the promotors for that one).But as for camera quality, thats it, cant afford anything better. I agree about the music, would be better to here what the people were twirling too, but i guess beggars cant be choosers and its the best that can be done by a bunch of amatuers. Perhaps someone with all the right equipment and music rights could travel round and do filming and auditions? Anyone?Im yet to recieve a copy, but awaiting it soon this week.(I understand that it was constructive criticism, but felt my need to say something anyways :P)

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
wow, thank you for the words. the vid was taken when i was beginning to develop my style, and now a few months later, i am adding more intricacies, and these videos help so much, and meeting new people also. its not about taking moves from another person, because so many people have unique styles and variations to every move. its awesome to see all the talent everyone has. Bassman: so many mad props to you on juggling poi (?)... Sage: i am awed. can only ask how long you have been dancing and what other forms of dance you have studied. im going to have to watch the vid a few more times... by the way, santanatwo, ummm... hehe. anyone who has seen me at the end of the night after dancing... can vouch that i look like i came out of working at a coal mine for 10 hours shocked my style is so wild and unstructured i end up hitting myself quite a bit. keep on growing everyonexochidance aka shibakiwhatever you want to call me

Wow

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I can attest that he does indeed look like he came out of a coal mine. (: It is ALWAYS a pleasure to watch Shibaki spin, I look forward to it every time we have a meet. I will definately miss his awe inspiring spinning while he is on his leave of abcense from the country.PLURRCrazy Raver Dude

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Frenzie--My comments weren't directed specifically at you--there were other segments that were shot using less-than-fancy equipment, and I'm not really criticizing, either, since hey, I don't have any video camera at all. And at any rate, I wasn't keeping track "ooh, he's got a nice video camera."Shibaki--I don't think Sage tunes into these boards, but she's been firedancing for about 5 years, and also studies African dance. Not sure about other styles--she might have taken some belly-dancing lessons.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I haven't watched the video yet, but I have heard that is has arrived. I will have comments on it after I watch..I don't even know if i made it on to the video.and I wasn't aware that the music would be edited out, that's too bad because mine is a great song, and the entire dance is synced to it.oh well.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
It happens I guess, but im mega disapointed at me on the video :/ It was the last bit of my entry and i felt that the first part showed the progression of my routine...oh wells, sh$t happens i guess.Just was a bit down about it last night frown

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
cruddy, I hope that doesn't happen to me.hell, I hope I am even on it, did you happen to notice? what is the format of video, like everyones entire segment, or just random cuts spliced together?------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I dont have the video here, and did you enter under ravinglunatic? or under a real name, there were a lot of real names that i had no clue who they were.Its the same format as COL1, has a bit for each person and parts of the video they sent in.

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
uh, I don't know, I think I put the name ravinglunatic on the tape, as well as my real name. I try not to give out my realname on the net, i'm paranoid about that kinda stuff.i'll see the tape and let you know.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

flaming_madmember
34 posts

Posted:
There is a list of everyone that made it on the tape if you click on COL2 more detail on the home page.

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Thanks!

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~