PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We have discussed in numerous threads the type of music we like to spin to and the type that we like to listen to, so let's not get into that again.Instead has anyone noticed that certain music, bands or songs call for specific toys?I can't seem to spin my poi to the band Disturbed at all but that music makes me crave my staff.Or, there are some songs I can only poi to, they just don't work for staff at all.It is as if each toy has it's own soundtrack and it is really cool.Even two songs by the same artist seem to fit two different toys completely.There are what I call generic tunes that any spinning goes with but I am beginnig to prefer those that seem almost made for me to spin certain things to. It makes them stick out more in my mind and it makes it easier for me to flow. Anyone else run into this?Oh, and when you are trying a new move do you think that music messes you up? My body wants to just grooe with it but because I don't know the move well enough I can't so I just continually beat myself. Anyone else find this an issue? blush------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

GoaFiremember
71 posts

Posted:
i totally agree with u pele...i dont have a staff yet...i havent even progressed onto fire poi...*smiles* but i feel exactly the same way...*smiles n nods*ever tried spinning to rob zombie...its really bouncy and all the songs seem good to spin to...nways...just thought id let u know ur not alone... smilegoafire

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
The avalanches make me wanna spin staff.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Lab4. They have wicked tunes that are definitely condusive to double staff. Goafire will know who I'm on about (as will a few others)------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
i like to spin poi to some thumping trance...mmm, Astral Projection or some Infected Mushroom usually does the job nicely...:P

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay...some answered the question, some didn't. Thanks to those that did. smile What music you spin to is really inconsequential.My question/point is....is there some music that really calls for you to say, single staff but you can't double to it? Is there some music that screams for poi but you can't seem to get the staff wagging to it?Ex: I can only staff to Disturbed.Only my poi seem to work for Peter Gabriel/Massive Attack "Games Without Frontiers" but my Fans seem to only work for "Biko".Do you find different songs or musical styles seem to work better with different tools?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
right after I learned the 5 beat weave, I turned on "take five" by Dave Brubeck. It's a bit mellow to spin poi to but it seemed like the best choice for my new move. For a big long slow staff I like "Carey" by Joni Mitchell.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I haven't found anything for single staff yet. That's why I didn't mention it.

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I find my single long staff is slower, and so fits better with slower music. My poi are fast enough or slow enough to fit almost anything up to about 160bpm. Doubles...I'm not good enough with em yet, but I think they will be quite suited to anything with beats (just like me smile)So yeah...but not cuz of any 'personality' clashes between the tools and the music...Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Don't start that personalities thing again Josh. You remember how confused we were by it last time?

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Lab4 are kind of Acid techno/psy-trance (and a bit hard housish at times) in case you were interested. Which you probably weren't but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Meh

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
So far all I do is chains and sticks like escrima, but I've pretty much found that I can do sticks to tribal music that is very heavy on the drums. Chains I can do to just about anything. But then, I do just about any dance.Ashia

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters