Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > throws starting from behind your back...

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
how?

that's all i want to know, how?

my arms are retarded. i can throw off my wrist, but if i try to throw it form behind my back it goes like four inches... that's a flat throw.

if i try to spin it it hits me in teh head, or just sort of flops onto the ground like a dead dog

*sighs*

help?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
A while ago some one asked 'Ive learnt allthe basic stuff, is there anything really hard I could try?'
someone else said 'try throwing and catching behind your back, at least three revs.'

I can only just do it after a year trying, yes there is little strength in your arm that way, yes it hit you a lot. My only advice is keep your elbows out of the way and wear a helmet. May the force be with you.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
thank you nix. i've got a whole list of stuff going now that needs a helmet. it's about time to try and borrow one

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
You've got whole riot geat heading your way Kyrian.

Kinudin

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
Honestly, tosses from behind the back are very difficult, and are not usually a common throw. You can do it from behind your back with a cheater throw or the thumb toss(wrist action) if you are releasing from the right hand with the spin going to the left. However if the spin is to the right with that same hand, it is more of an open hand toss, (where you just toss it up out of your hand). The first way you can actually get some good height, but the second way, your tosses won't be higher than your head really. It is easy to throw it up in front of you and catch it either behind your back, or behind your head (blind catch), or backwards between your legs. Maybe you should get those down pat before you start tossing from behind you. It is more difficult to tell you than it is to just show you. If you are interested enough, I could send you a vid down the road, answering all Q's you've got.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
There is always ways to make things easier when starting out.

Try throwing behind you back and then pirouetting to face it and make the catch easier. This should also let you see how and when the throw goes wrong so it will help with getting the throws consistant.

Another simple one is to throw it high and then walk backwards under it (make sure it WAS a high throw) so that when you catch it it is in front of you.

A good way to help learning BTB (Behind the Back) catches is to reverse the strategy above. Throw it from in front, slow and high, and then wlak forward a little so you catch it above and behind your head. Do this a few time and BTB catches will quickly seem a lot easier than you thought.

for a similar challenge, that's not as dangerous, try to do a continous BTB fingerspin with one hand, it's great for breaking into doubles moves later on too...

Hope that helps some people, these throws aren't as hard as they sound, but they are dangerous when they go wrong....

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yeah, i do the throw up walk in front catch behind thing. it works well. i just can't throw from behind, my wrists don't flick right or something. i've been practcining in teh dark lately so havn't practiced throws as much.

i'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
O.K., you're not retarded, just the move you're trying to do is. If my first explanation wasn't good, try this. Take your staff and hold it in a fist in front of you (knuckles up). Now take the staff and move it all the way around and behind you, hand in same position (knuckles up). Now you are standing with the staff behind you. You can release the staff by flipping your hand over then letting it roll off your thumb (propelling it off your thumb). Like I said before, these tosses are not going to be very high. You can throw and catch like this behind you (as behind you as you can get). However, if you are doing the open hand toss, the staff won't want to go up, it will want to land way to your left side. Sound familiar? Look, I used to compete for 5 yrs against the 7-time world champion in baton twirling, so I do know what I'm talking about. This staff stuff is like kindergarten for me. However, I am in kindergarten when it comes to all the other instuments.

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
Hey also instead of trying to throw it up, walk under it, then catch it behind you, why don't you try to toss it up (about eye level) then TURN halfway around catching it behind your back? Once you have that move you can do blind catches behind your head as well.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
thanks for the idea.

seeing as how you did baton twirling, i have an odd quetsion for you. Do you know Tiffany Reicoscky? i think she was very highly ranked in 1999, and possibly in 98 or 00 but i'm not sure.

*apoligzes for the non-sequiter*

i hope it cools down soon, i've gotten really dehydrated today both at practice and at work!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Everytime i catch, I imagine what angle the poi handles will be in when i catche.
Everytime i throw up, i tend to find carrots.

um ..what's a non-sequiter?
are they cheaper in bulk?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
Hey Kyrian, I don't know of Tiffany. I know of Stacey Singer, 7-time world champ (we grew up in the same city dancing for diff. studios, she was a Buffalo Gal, and I was a Salsation). I competed across Western Canada, never being able to beat her in freestyle (as we were both the same age and advanced). I couldn't escape any competion anywhere without her being there to take the gold. (I have boxes of silver placings). She practiced 8hrs per day, 5days per week. I practiced for 2hrs every Monday night only because my mom made me. I can thank her now though for all the things I hated doing and for all the stupid talents that I can finally feel are being put to use. If only back then I would have known I could've lit the thing on fire, I bet I would have practiced more, he, he. I haven't twirled in a very long time, but I still do give the odd lesson here and there (subbing).