Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I was just practicing with a few mates in my back garden yesterday, and it was really windy. Problems that arose:1) lighter didn't work2) wicks kept going out3) Throws kept blowing away4) blows were terrible, either lost you a head of hair smile or blew away without lighting properlyAny other problems, or any solutions?Yes yes I know, use a wind-proof lighter... but those things are expensive [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif">------------------[/image] - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I hear ya... it's tough to get a low volatility fuel to light in heavy winds. Something that I did/do is carry around a little bit of whitegas and, if my lamp oil soaked wicks won't light, splash a bit on the wicks. The whitegas lights the lamp oil no problem... Of course, once poi and staff are lit and swinging, the wind is minimal compred to the "wind" of swinging them.Don't blow/breathe/eat in windy conditions. It's just a bad idea. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
common sense is what i suggest, like nyc said, if its windy dont put yourself at risk

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Use your heaviest fire toys (biggest swords, staves, multiple-wicked poi) with the most wicking as they will be least affected by the wind. We used a mixture of half white gas and half lamp oil at Burning Man, which had brutal wind storms this past year. It worked pretty good and remains my favorite all-purpose fuel.Facing into the wind seemed to be the best way to keep it from crossing up the poi. Dropping down to the ground also drastically reduced the amount of wind the wicking was getting. (So next time it is windy, just think, "Hot dog! Time to work on my floor routine!")Tedward, director of the LA Fire Conclave at Burning Man, whose teddy-bear like demenore belies the sadistic taskmaster, told me to practice at the beach, in the strongest winds, on the softest sand, in order to be ready for the desert.Also, watch your spray. Wind can carry the stuff a long way into the faces of your audience. (another good reason for proper spray management.)Maximus

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Geez man, please please please don't firebreath when it's windy.The most common cause of accidental death (as opposed to long term medical reasons) while firebreathing is the wind changing directions halfway through a blow.The already-ignited fuel is sprayed back on the breather and lights up their face, and torso.Also, wind acts differently when it is strong as well. It's much more likely to change direction suddenly, and tends to come in fits and bursts. It's ver unpredictable at the best of times, but whenit is trong it gets even worse.Ideally, I wouldn't do any sort of fire in these condition.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hurricane lamps are great to light things off of. They stay lit in moderate winds, take off the chimney and light tool, replace chimney. Risking throws in the wind just seems a little too dangerous to me, and if the wind was high enough to carry things away and blow your wicks out, then it was too high to be doing any fire play during it anyway. That is what you should use as your gauge of when to and when not to do stuff in the wind.No offense but this is not about solutions, it is about common sense and respecting that wind and fire are a very dangerous combination.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK