Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > I can only do three moves...

Login/Join to Participate

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
The Weave, Butterfly, and Crossover.In the butterfly family I can do one handed,and behind the back. I can also do Crossover to Weave and back again.But the thing is, I can't figure what else to do. I tried looking at the Poi lessions, and I can't figure out how to do anything from the pictures or words.Also, I'm using 6 inch glowsticks attached to a shoestring I found in my closet (I think the string is 40 inches). Can I still use these for the lessons? Or should I breakdown and ask my parents if I could buy a Poi kit?

flaming_madmember
34 posts

Posted:
Glow sticks on strings are good to practice with. If I where you I would shorten the strings. Its easier to learn new moves if there shorter. A good length is from the tip of your finger to your armpit.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
right on, nothing wrong with learning on glowsticks.. but tennis balls on shoestrings are fun too smilehave you learned the weave forward and backward? if so, practice turning your body 180 degrees to switch between them.. mastering that is fun grin

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
try learning a windmill then go on to a fountain. another thing which looks cool is butterfly then swing one hand back then bring forward then do the same with the other hand when a change in music occurs. i *think* it's called an alternating butterflyand yea, either cut the strings short or sumthin cuz 40 inches is...well kinda long even for me (unless i'm in an enclosed area then i'll use the whole string for meteor)

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

Skeksmember
11 posts

Posted:
Glowsticks are nice, but I've found that a little extra weight helps keep the momentum going. But you get tired faster, with bigger bruises...------------------!You've just been Skeked!

!You've just been Skeked!

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I started like 2 months ago with dirty shoe laces and dead glow sticks. I cut them about the length from my armpit to the end of my fingers...I find that you are limited with these though because they are pretty lightweight. I used these for like a month and then I broke down and bought the training poi from this site. After having those for a week I could do almost everything on the lessons page!! I think that the flags help you figure out timing and patterns better.. Plus glowsticks can still hurt occasionally depending on what your trying to do. I think that the training poi are a decent investment, I used mine for like a month and then I got myself some beaming poi... it is really hard adjusting to them, but i'm getting it. The real trick is going back to using glowsticks after getting all of this new stuff. smile good luck

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

1,325 posts

Posted:
Yeah, a few days I got the backwards weave, then I tried to do 180 turn and mastered that hehe (after a few welts in the back of the head) and I can do 360 turns, I tried a 520 but I only could do 1 and a half.When I try the windmill, I get my left hand over my head and I get my right arm over then I bring it back and I start the weave... *mumbles* Practice! Practice Kin!

Hook's baneWill bite you (unless you tickle behind my ears)
188 posts

Posted:
I only started doing poi a few weeks ago. I can't understand half the instructions on the lessons section. I've been making it up as i go along.That said, I "made up" 3 new tricks today. They're all proper poi moves I've seen other folks do. They just have the lanford twist.... grin------------------Follow the bouncing bass

...tick tick tick....

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
HAHA! I did the same thing.. I would just keep throwing them around and I thought it just looked cool. Come to find out they were basically the same moves that everybody already does. But this makes things more interesting. smile

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
No worries bud I just started glowsticks a few weeks ago and then moved on to poi after basicly forcing my friend to show me what the heck he was doing. I only have 3 moves as well, the weave was the first that I picked up (all my friend did was show me how to cross over I just manipulated it a bit) then came the buterfly and just some other cheesy one over the head and one infront but it looks kinda cool. I am starting to learn how to throw one hand behind my back on the butterfly. It's a learning process just remember to have fun and our trick bag will get alot bigger

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I've mastered most of the tricks on this site using practice poi but the whole dancing and fluidity bit is gonna take a lot more practice........and what's a fountain?and does anyone else think poi is physically addictive? If I'm not spinning I'm thinking about spinning and if I'm not thinking about spinning I'm probably asleep and dreaming about it......

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

1,325 posts

Posted:
I'm with ya Ros... at least three hours a day practicing, then I get tired and go online for a bit. Spend a few more hours on it, then someone calls me (usually, not always) and I'm on the phone with them while I'm spinning. Although the person that called yesterday got annoyed because I got my practice Poi yesterday!! and they heard the tails through the whole thing. Damn they're loud!

3,638 posts

Posted:
I did fire poi for the first time about ten minutes ago grin.................you reckon tails are loud? Try roaring fires on the ends of chains. Nobody warned me about the noise factor!I'm supposed to be revising at the moment too but all I can think about is poi - tis not a good thing.

1,325 posts

Posted:
Noise is good. I can live with noise. Especially noise that makes a spiffy looking visual effect in the process!*drools at the thought of doing Fire*//edit Fire deserves to be capitolized!![This message has been edited by Kinudin (edited 02 January 2002).]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I recommend against glowsticks on shoestrings. I do this at raves, but it's difficult because, you see, shoestrings stretch. So while it works OK, it's a bad way to learn and real pois handle differently.A glowstick on the end of a chain or solid rope is much more realistic. Home of Poi sells a poi kit that can be attached to glowsticks.I'd buy it, but I just bought a staff and I'm going to start learning that (New Year's Resolution). So I'm savin' up again.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

3,638 posts

Posted:
Hey,I haven't got any solid routines yet but I'm having a wicked time learning moves with my practice poi then practicing, practicing and yeah...practicing..... then the reward of trying them in fire grin grin grintis not yet a beautiful sight, more a mangled flailing performance that looks as if i'm trying to scratch myself in awkward places but hey! Practice WILL make perfect....

3,638 posts

Posted:
btw, you got any more moves yet kinudin? It'll all come in it's own good time...do not lose faith smile

1,325 posts

Posted:
Yea, turns and BTB Weave. Working on Corkscrew...

1,325 posts

Posted:
ROFL I just realized that I said 40 INCHES!!! I ment centimeters. lol screwy me!

Belrockmember
33 posts

Posted:
It's ok man, you've only been doing poi for a short while, it takes a lot of practice. I practiced for 3 months, 2 hours EVERY single day, in my yard, with shoe string and glowsticks. All it takes is alot of time, and patience...and ice, hehe. Just keep at it and don't give up and you'll get there. But i am still right when i told you, that your strings are to long... It limits your moves in the long run. Longer might be easier for the weave and butterfly, but when you get into real technical stuff, like raps, and turns, arms leagth is how it should be. It takes some getting used to, but just keep it up.

Fire Demon of the Dwarven world...I am Belrock