Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Double Tuck, Without the Turn

Login/Join to Participate

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I stumbled on this one, but it is really neat.Begin like you are doing a tuck turn; as you are bring them out and in front of your body, instead of turning, keep your feet planted, and shove them under your right arm.Then as the are coming out of your right arm, circle them under your right arm again in another circle a little farther out (more in front of your body) and bring them out again to your left.This is a great intro to go into a Jumping the Sun (my own personal coin wink). That is the one that was just described under Jumping Move in a prev. thread. Chase Sun on left, then on right, then overhead, then under left and right legs.peace to all------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Funny, your "jumping the sun" I 1earned as a sweep. Anyway....I kind of get but am not rea11y seeing the second swing around...does it go behind you 1ike a tuck turn, or out to the side? Herm...my 1ame-ass headache is rea11y keeping me from catching this one. Can I bug you for further exp1aination p1ease? confusedThanks bunches, as I 1ike how it sounds. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I will do my very best Pele, bear with me as getting specific is not my forte!I learned by tucking under my left arm.Go ahead and put your hands together so they are side by side, close fisted like you are holding a broom, backs of your hands facing to your right side. except at an angle. This will get you into the tuck on your right; remember, dont turn!Then you circle out just like you did from your left, but instead of crossing over to your other side, you basically just throw them under your right arm again. Instead of tucking them under in the same place, i.e. under your pit, do it further out, under your elbow. Nothing behind the back at all. Just tucks all the way, but it feels cool; I havent had the chance to ask if it looks cool. I hope that helps! When I finally learn how to take videos and all Ill see about posting it. Best of luck! smile------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
This kinda sounds like a weave, but not in split-time. Are you doing the same type of movements, just with the poi moving at the same time?Me like very much! If this _is_ what you're thinking of, I have to say I use it a lot and it's very effective..you go from two balls of fire to one biggish one if you get it really right, then back to two when you go back to split-swing moves.. wink-protie

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
I was wondering the same thing, protozoa. Do you cross at the wrists at all? I'm sitting here visualizing it, so I just tried to imagine the weight in my hands and my natural instinct for the spin seems to be to tuck on the left w/ the left leading, lead out with the left to the right side, and spin the left around my right side (not tucked) while I half-tuck the right and as I pull across with the right I spin (tucked) with my left and lead back over to the right. Close?Also, I can't seem to picture a chase on the left, right, and overhead. All I can see is front to back like the tutorial. Suggestions?

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
The chase the sun left right overhead is easy. Try this: I dont personally begin the weave by a crossover. I just dig in usually by moving my right to my left and letting the left complete its rotation on the left.The chase the sun on the left is just a circle with your hands together. You can start it like the weave. Do one circle, bring it to your right. Do one circle, hands nice and tight. Then hands together, bring it in a circle over your head. Then down below to your legs for any number of myriad moves. It is really fun. smileThe double tuck no turn monster now! winkNot a weave at all. I lead into the tuck under my left pit, with my left, and lead out with my right. In a weave, you would swing on the outside of your arm. Dont. Swing Under your pit, in a tuck, just like you did. So now the poi are arcing out again just like they did on your left. Swing em back under your right arm, I prefer under elbow, rather than pit. Vice versa, either arm... Ill make a video of this maybe and send it in. Dont know if it is quite deserving of place there though. Best luck everyone!------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Bastard! I just broke a light bulb on my *ceiling* because of you. It was phat as hell, though, and it looked cool as shit before I snapped that bulb! smileYour right, it isn't like a weave. At least the way I'm doing it, anyway, it is constantly switching leads (or speed if you prefer) rather than crossing over at the wrists. Hmm... now on to the oth chasing the sun I guess. So lemme get this straight, this is a good transition move for your chase-jump combo because you can stick a side on a tuck, throw the sticks over your head (for a circle) and then throw it under your feet, right?BTW - Thanks tons for the windmill help from way back when. I've just recently graduated to the 4 beat windmill and I can get the corkscrew that is at the bottom of the video section w/ both right and left leads now. smile So when is the Southeast swing-fest, anyway? I'm stick of having to ask my friends what all my moves look like... I wanna watch too dammit!