Forums > Help! > Buying First Set of Poi, intermediate skill. Advice please?

Login/Join to Participate

Storm CrowBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Hello all! I've been spinning poi for about 3 months with a friend. I am heading back to University and thus will not be around him. He has a set of poi that has a very solid weight to it, used to be flag poi but he cut the flags off. He has no clue where he got them, it was at an art show years back.

I consider myself a beginner but not inexperienced (I can do a 5 beat weave, takeouts, as well as an array of basic tricks) and I have spun fire poi once but do not feel comfortable with continuing to learn with unlit fire poi as they hurt a lot on contact

I am actually leaning towards https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Corded-Fluffy-Poi
these but I am unsure if I will be able to control things like a 5 beat weave with them. At first glance, although adjustable, they look extremely long. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm most concerned about ease of control and solid weight/length.

I'm basically just looking for some solid practice poi that I can keep learning with. Pretty much good with any site, price, etc. I'm willing to pay for a quality product for sure. I'm at my wits end and I would greatly appreciate some assistance, been trying to find a solid buyer for about a month now which is what brought me here.

P.S. I live in the United States, if that's any factor.

Thank you all very much for your help. smile I really appreciate it.

EDITED_BY: Storm Crow (1359429856)

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Hey Storm Crow,

I wouldn't go with the fluffy poi. If I were you, I would go with a nice pair of cone poi with swivels. (Sold on HOP as well.) They will provide a more pleasure able learning experience.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
I'd also say go with cone poi - they're much better in terms of everything imo.

If you're willing to go and make your own poi though, I'd recommend getting a pair of 80mm diameter Mister Babache or Play stage balls, about 1 and a bit metres of rope and 4 PX3 knobs, and making a set of contact poi out of that smile

However, if you DO get the fluffy poi, you could always switch out the rope with some other cord, or cut it shorter if need be. From the few times I've spun with them before, they're okay in terms of weight, and seem pretty solid. They do shed a bit of their fluff over time though.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
sadly, i still need to try out a pair of cone poi after about a year of spinning (sinful, i know), but lone wolf and bob are good sources.

i'd also put in a seperate plug for experimenting with your own gear. i've probably five or six sets of poi that i made with slight variations each time. i only really use a few of them now, but making your own stuff can really help you pinpoint the specs you like. that's pretty handy both when shopping or making more permanent poi. there are plenty of tutorials on making poi in the lesson section on the site as well as countless ones elsewhere on the net.

let us know what you wind up getting and what you think of them. i'd be curious to hear what you think.

Fluidity.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
As trace said, make your own. It's less expensive, and you usually and up with a better product.

Although I rant and rave about cone poi, I haven't actually ever bought a pair. I made my own pattern a while back, and have been modifying it ever since.

I first made cone poi when I watched one of nick woolsey's vids. I thought his poi looked neat, so I made my own spin on them. Shortly thereafter, HOP came out with cone poi. I found that their pattern was identical to the one I had created. Since then, my pattern has had 17 revisions, while theirs has not. By now I believe I have the better poi. wink

Did mention they were made of ripstop nylon? That stuff is awesome.

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
made your own cone poi, eh? i may need to give that a shot when i get back to the states. same for the ripstop nylon.

Fluidity.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I would post pics, but as I do not have any hosted online, I believe I cannot. Good luck with them though!