Forums > Expressive movement / costumes and props > performance music - please read and help me!

Login/Join to Participate

bossySILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
ok so here's the story...

I've entered into a local "got talent" kind of talent show and made it through the first round doing poi. So ive been told that i will need to do up to 4 more performances (ie quarter finals, semis etc)

so what im looking for is suggestions of songs for me to perform to. The first song i used was evanescence - bring me to life.

Im looking for some really epic music with good build ups to move and dance to. Another piece i was thinking of was reel around the sun" from riverdance. a very theatrical piece.

Only one condition, its being held by some church people so probably no trance or heavy dance etc. lol

please help me!!!

thank you smile smile smile

Ross

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of running through my collection and finding songs under 3 minutes, with decent energy but then I realized...That really is your job.

It occurs to me that you really should do this yourself. Every bit of this talent show is your ability to form an act right? Well you need to be able to make these kinds of creative decisions.

Maybe I'm being a bit too serious, but as I start planning a solo performance I have to do in a couple weeks...I'm getting more serious about what it takes to be doing it in the first place, and part of that is YOU choosing the song. I only recommend you pick songs that are short (2 minutes-ish should be enough to get all your tricks in) and keep it happy or at least high energy.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MRCI was thinking of running through my collection and finding songs under 3 minutes, with decent energy but then I realized...That really is your job.

More to the point... I know I could pluck out a heap of songs off the top of my head... but who knows whether or not anyone else will know them well enough to perform to them??

Since the first round is down its probably crunch time... you dont want to have to learn a song as well as work out a routine for it.

Just crack open itunes and sort by length... have a look through the music you have that fits the right length. 2-3 mins is probably about right.

Also... thought about anything else to throw into your act? Something to turn it from a poi session into a performance?

hug

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I completely agree...not only will picking your own music and working out a routine to it teach you to further your talent, but music speaks to each person in a different way...what others like to spin to may be completely wrong for you...

What do you like to practise to? What music just makes you want to pick up your poi and go at it? These are the kind of songs that you need to choose, not something you're gonna have to struggle with, just because you picked a song someone else thinks is good or would be popular.

Just whatever you do...don't...use...crazy frog!!! Pleeeeeeease!!! *giggle*

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonOriginally Posted By: MRCI was thinking of running through my collection and finding songs under 3 minutes, with decent energy but then I realized...That really is your job.

More to the point... I know I could pluck out a heap of songs off the top of my head... but who knows whether or not anyone else will know them well enough to perform to them??
And for that matter song choice is integral to our performances. I know I'm not exactly giddy about giving away all the details of my show. I don't like hiding things...but as performers it is a business interest of ours to be a little different.

Originally Posted By: Bek66I completely agree...not only will picking your own music and working out a routine to it teach you to further your talent, but music speaks to each person in a different way...what others like to spin to may be completely wrong for you...
Exactly.

The fact that Bossy used the words "epic" and "evanescence," speaks volumes of our differing musical tastes.
Desafinado is just not likely OP's frame of reference, but it jives just fine with me.

I agree wholeheartedly with picking songs you practice to. If they're good enough to get your energy up to practice-use them to perform.

This reminds me. A few friends of mine auditioned with the America's Got Talent producers, they're waiting for their call back to go to the taped auditions. I might get to see some local yokels on national TV!
EDITED_BY: MRC (1239234422)
EDIT_REASON: RELEVANCE