Forums > Social Discussion > Britain and Netherlands deny asylum to gay Iranian teen

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I never thought I'd be so disgusted with the British and Dutch governments at the same time.

I mean, this is a stunt worthy of the U.S., but I thought better of these two countries. frown

My favorite is how the British government doesn't believe that homosexuals are routinely persecuted in Iran. Perhaps the picture of the two 15-year-olds hanging dead by their necks wasn't enough to convince them?

https://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/11/iran.asylum/index.html
 Written by

(CNN) -- The Netherlands has rejected an asylum plea by a gay Iranian teenager trying to escape possible persecution in his homeland.

Mehdi Kazemi, 19, had originally sought asylum in Britain, where he was taking classes on a student visa, because, he said, his boyfriend had been executed in Iran after saying he and Kazemi had been in a gay relationship. Britain's Home Office rejected his request, prompting Kazemi to flee to Netherlands.

Tuesday's decision by the Council of State -- the highest administrative court in the Netherlands --means Kazemi could face deportation to Britain, which he fears will send him back to Iran.

Council spokeswoman Daniela Tempelman said the council decided it must comply with the Dublin Regulation and return Kazemi to Britain. Watch how teenager has lost his right to remain. »

Under the Dublin Regulation, European Union member nations agree that an application for asylum submitted in any EU country would be handled by that country alone. The regulation seeks to ensures that an asylum seeker is not redirected from nation to nation simply because none will take responsibility.

Kazemi's initial appeal for asylum in the Netherlands, made in October, was rejected. He then appealed unsuccessfully to a regional court in December. His last appeal was to the Council of State in January.

Tempelman said that in order for the Dutch court to consider Kazemi's asylum application, he needed to prove that Britain did not handle his asylum application properly, but he wasn't able to prove any wrongdoing on the part of the British government.

Kazemi now has exhausted his chances for appeal in the Netherlands and, according to Tempelman, could be returned to Britain on a short notice. The British government about six months ago accepted the Dutch request to take him back.

Kazemi's lawyer will have the option of taking his case to the European Court of Human Rights to request an "interim measure" that could allow Kazemi to stay in Europe until further notice.

"If anybody signs his deportation papers and says, look, he's got to be deported to Iran, that means they have signed his death sentence," said Kazemi's uncle Saeed, who asked CNN to withhold his last name over safety concerns.

Gay rights activists in Europe and Iran are also researching Kazemi's case.

"When Britain is prepared to send a young man back to possible execution, that is inhumanity on a monumental scale," said Peter Tatchell, an activist for gay campaign group OutRage. "And I hang my head in shame, as a British citizen."

In a written statement, Britain's Home Office said that even though homosexuality is illegal in Iran and homosexuals do experience discrimination, it does not believe that homosexuals are routinely persecuted purely on the basis of their sexuality.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yes... no discrimination - the official line is probably that since according to the President they dont exist - therefore cant be discriminated against...

Written by : heraldsun.com.au

HARDLINE Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was booed and laughed at a New York university yesterday as he insisted there were no homosexuals in his country.

And he suffered the rare humiliation of a public dressing-down when the university president introducing him called him a "petty and cruel dictator".

"In Iran we don't have homosexuals like in your country,," the President said at Columbia University during a controversial question-and-answer session.

"In Iran we do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who has told you that we have it."

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Welcome to bureaucracy frown

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
but did he lose the appeal because he was gay? Or just another (sad) case of an asylum seeker who lost>?

Like Tom said, "welcome to bureaucracy" it's fubar, but not necessarily discriminatory, especially considering that to bureaucrats everyone is a piece of paper.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, the official line from the British Government is that there is no evidence that gays in Iran routinely face persecution. The fact that this kid's boyfriend was executed and that two 15-year-old boys were publicly hanged seems to be insufficient evidence.

Personally, I would try the bureaucrat who made that decision for attempted murder.

-Mike

Dragon_Drafinmember
51 posts

Posted:
Nobody should be discriminated against because of sexuality, this is true. But then on the other hand, should preferance be given because of sexuality?

I was under the impression that once in the EU that someone could travel freely about similar to traveling between the States. If this is true, why can't this young man petition for asylum in any and every EU country in turn?

I do hope things pan out for him. I can't imagine what it is like to be in his shoes.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Dragon_Drafin

Nobody should be discriminated against because of sexuality, this is true. But then on the other hand, should preferance be given because of sexuality?

No, someone should be granted asylum if one would be executed unfairly and without due process for returning to one's own country.

"They will hang me because I'm gay" should be generally accepted as a reasonable request for asylum. Along the lines of "they will hang me because I'm Jewish/Asian/refusing to submit to female circumcision/pro-democracy."

-Mike

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Britain sends back many people who are going to be at risk of execution in their home countries- it has rules because it doesn't want to grant citizenship to every refugee who applies.

Immigration is currently the big issue in the UK- so many of the population are now against the continuing high levels, that it can't be anything other than a big issue.

I think in a case like this, many may take the line that, if an individual is permitted to stay on the grounds that-

1. he is gay
2. that gays are persecuted in their homeland

then, is there a danger that everyone in that homeland who wants to come to Britain, can claim that they are gay and thus gain refugee status?

Many may also take the view that, tragic as it is that gays are persecuted in Iran, isn't that an issue with Iran- why, they may say, should Britain have to take it upon itself to look after the victims of another culture- when doing so will do nothing to stop that regime continuing the persecution and simply lead to an endless stream of similar refugess for the forseeable future.

And, why isn't America offering a safe haven- why, as an American, are you critisisng Britain and the Netherlands, when, as far as I can understand this, America is also refusing these refugees?

Why do you think that Britian is any better than the US?- since 9/11 Britain has been happily importing the fear culture that the US has spawned- all manner of civil liberty violations are been waved ahead with the utterance of the magic word 'terror'.

There's never really been any difference between the US and Britain where these issues are concerned- it's just that the two have different emphasises (for example, for all its attacks on freedom, most of the US does allow gun ownership, whereas, here in the UK, the govt is in the process of making swords illegal).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Britain grants reprieve to gay Iranian asylum seeker

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :onewheeldave

And, why isn't America offering a safe haven- why, as an American, are you critisisng Britain and the Netherlands, when, as far as I can understand this, America is also refusing these refugees?

Because, Dave, I'm over criticizing the U.S. about these things. Why engage in futility?

Besides, any gay man who expects the U.S. government to grant him asylum for being gay is deluding himself. The fact that the U.S. has repeatedly declined to legalize gay marriage or even grant discrimination protections to gays is proof enough of this.

The E.U.'s constitution includes sexual orientation in its equal-rights clause. I expect more and better of the E.U. than I do of the U.S.

I expect the U.S. to behave as if it is in a backwards slide into a third-world theocracy, because that's exactly what it is doing.

-Mike