MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I'm thinking about this place for living in SF... East-West House.

Now, there are a number of other similar places. In college and med school I lived in or was heavily involved in student cooperative houses. I love the sense of home, of community, of companionship and togetherness that pervades the coop-scene. I would come home from class or work each day and someone would be in the kitchen cooking dinner, someone would be happy to see me and have a huge hug for me, and even though we were all poor college kids, we all were able to pool our resources to live in a very well-appointed and well-outfitted home. We had out own washer/dryer, our own industrial-sized kitchen, our own massive basement, our own huge living room, and our own mega-broadband web connection.

The idea of cooperative living is that when many people pool resources, many of the things that each single family must own (lawnmower, washer/dryer, refrigerator, internet connection) can be increased in size and co-owned by a great many people, thus reducing the overhead. It's also a far more ecologically-friendly way to live.

But not having your own bathroom, among other things, is a major change to the normal Western lifestyle.

I'm strongly considering it. The location of the house is close to work. They'd have to have an opening. I might have to live on my own until there was an opening. But the idea is tantalizing.

I miss having a family.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I have been living in shared houses such as you have described, and intentional communities (a much more serious proposition) since I was 18. I still do. When I have had a cup of tea I will come back and make a few comments. smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It all depends n the people and their communication skills/ openness towards each other. It can be marvellous, but also very frustrating. As long as everyone is considerate it might be the best option - as you described the benefits.

Cueing for a shower or toilet though can be something one has to accommodate to.

Go for it and keep us posted smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Here are moving people from one web comunity
and they live in grouping.

I allways wanned to join that people lifestyle.

nice,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I dont miss living with family... i've soon realised why i moved away in the first place... very frustrating after ten odd years on my own ventures.
I hope that in the next 6 months my direction makes some drastic changes and i can be set free like a bird to enjoy another venture.

I'd do house share a million times over and be home sick than staying with family.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

I have been living in shared houses such as you have described, and intentional communities (a much more serious proposition) since I was 18. I still do. When I have had a cup of tea I will come back and make a few comments. smile

I'm curious to hear them...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Sounds awesome!
I have done my stint in big share houses (only 11 adults though + pets - yours will be bigger) and loved it! Although I am sure I found it hugely frustrating sometimes... I made some amazing friends and learnt heaps about myself.
Might be difficult going into, if you are used to living alone though?
Good luck
smile

... simplify ...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
all depends on the people who are there, can take just one person that doesnt get on with others to make the whole house atmosphere unbearable

but yes with the right people living together can be a great experience

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You have shown you love them and thrive in them.
Its close to work , a huge bonus. Is it close to playing as well.
Close to work means close to public transport and you have shown you function well in that sort of family already.
If there is an opening grab it and embrace it. If after 6 months you are reestablished in the town and I would imagine find it easier to find a place at that point than now from afar.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu