Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > someone please help--how to do wraps (stops) w/o burning myself???

Login/Join to Participate

nathaniel_deforestSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
recently i have been attempting forearm and bicep wraps with fire, and no matter how i position my arm or how fast i do it, those little metal pieces always burn me a little bit. am i supposed to be just "bouncing" the kevlar part off my arm so that no metal touches the skin? i know i have seen bare-armed spinners pull plenty of wraps off with only some singed arm hair to show for it. does anyone have a helpful tip for me?

do you believe in something beautiful?
then get up and be it.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
wear a t-shirt. or live with it. :P

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
use poi with mininaml ammounts of metal pieces as it those which will burn you, or like tom says you just have to live with a few small burns... life is harsh.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
If you play with fire, you have to accept that you will get burned once in a while - get over it.

Other than that:

1) get protection (leather, cotton)
2) do those wraps at the very beginning of your performance - at this time the metal of your poi will not be as hot
3) apply Vaseline (has a nice visual effect too... tongue ) it will reduce the impact of heat to your skin
4) do the wraps in a manner that the chain is not completely wrapping around your arm - I guess you're already doing that

btw: the hotter the metal + the faster your wrap (i.e. pulling the chain hard) = the higher the loss of skin

good luck hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
vaseline-visual effet umm

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

nathaniel_deforestSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
thanks for the suggestions all, and yes i do wear a sweatshirt or long sleeve that fits tight most of the time. i'll try going slower now, i guess i was wrong when i thought faster was better? and vaseline i have not experimented with. thanks again for all the responses.

do you believe in something beautiful?
then get up and be it.

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
im guessing the vasaline burns? ubbidea

actually i havnt a clue..

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
errm, in that case why muddy the waters?

and no, it doesnt.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Splinterific, its just cause it is all shiny and oily and makes you look slippery as an eel. Though burning vaseline all over your body would certainly be an interesting efffect ubblol

hug

... simplify ...

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Nick Woolsey has a youtube vid called "Show your Poi". In it he showed a trick he uses.

Its a small piece of kevlar tubing that he wets with water and slips over the chain and down to the wick, so that it covers the metal pieces closest to the wick that get so durn hot.

you can find that same tubing at feuershow.de

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
topic implies wraps, or stops ...

so my answer is ...

Stall

ubblol biggrin

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin