Page:
Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Someone mentioned this on another topic, and I thought it sounded worth its own post.

It sounded like poi battles were like MC battles or break battles, but at raves. Can someone give more details? Do you have poi battles in your area?

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hey rick.

i wondered this a little while back too.
hopefully this isn't the thread you've already read but you can get a few answers from here .

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Cole, that's a singularly unhelpful link

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wow. spectacularly unhelpful!

here it is properly:

a link to a thread that actually has some relavance

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
Yeh i have poi battle.... oh no wait... you mean like a competition...
nah i just hit my friends with my poi.
they retaliate with there.
etc.
(dont try this at home with fire, not indoors anyway.)

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

Yvonmember
6 posts

Posted:
A poi battle is where two relatively good poi spinners try to spin right next to each other, match their timing, and weave the poi in together, taking advantage of any space the other spinner leaves, and trying not to get hit or tangle them together. It's pretty difficult, especially if you are used to spinning alone. At least thats what a poi battle is in BC, and Alta (Canada).

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a much more sensible version of battling...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Nimskamember
48 posts

Posted:
I think ajay has the best idea, like stoner beatings but with a trace of integrity...

Don't be a Cookie Cutter Kid

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
when we battle here it kinda goes like this...i'll be spinning poi at a club, or a party...this usualy draw a crowd, if some one thinks they can do better they'll step into the circle, and i'll hand them my poi...they'll do a few moves, i'll do a few moves to try and top it...this gets the crowd oohing and ahhing...goes back and forth till the better spinner is realized...like you said it's exactly like a mc battle or a break battle...in fact a lot of times at the end of battling breakers will use the same circle to start a new battle wich is always fun...i don't know i'm not all competetive about spinning poi, but spinning in front of a crowd getts your adrenaline flowing...you know every one is watching, but when you are battling it is ten times more exciting...cuz you know people are watching to see who is better...although i kinda enjoy losing, cuz that means afterwords i can have the person who beat me teach me some new moves...but that doesn't happen very often around here anymore...i wish there were better spinners to battle hehe

posi vegan straight edge

Nimskamember
48 posts

Posted:
wow! haven't heard of the straight edge pride for a while!

Don't be a Cookie Cutter Kid

Krystelmember
26 posts

Posted:
I know how you feel CEDE - I haven't found anyone that can show me new moves in a while....as for battlin, i've been challenged at dancing but never with poi. Unfortunately u just don't c that in clubs ova here..poi i mean...theres never enough room to spin!!...grrr...battling sounds awsome thou - a great way to pick up more moves!!....

Why be a second rate version of somebody else when you can be a first rate version of yourself!

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
has anyone one noticed a huge difference between west coast and east coast acceptance? at raves on the west coast when i spin its just like cede says, spinners get to be the center of attention and everyone likes watching, on the east coast people dont even know what im doing and get mad at me for taking up space, what's the deal?

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
NOW THIS IS A THREAD I CAN RELATE TO! >=) acctually here in so cal, we battle crazy status. if all you got is poi moves, better go do it in a corner or somehting cause we'll eat you alive. here, if you're spinning in a club or rave, you're obviously twirling glowsticks, in which case you better know how to wrap those things around every body part you got. so now that we got the stage set, when we battle here a person cracks their sticks and goes off. if someone walks up while this person is spinning and wants to battle, they simply step in the circle look at the other stringer in the eye to let him know hes there(normally you can see if someone wants to battle or they just want to string in your circle by the look in their eye). then you bust out with the craziest shyt you got to offer. till one of you realizes whos better and the loser just knows to step out. UNFORTUNATLY we dont battle here often, or at least I dont, not many people are good enough to step to me.

now what to do if you see someone twirling for fun thats not that great at it and someone steps in to battle them... when you see this...and it DOES happen, you walk in the circle and even if you have strings...you borrow the kids strings that was just having fun, then you SCHOOL and emberass the guy who tried to battle that kid. theres absolutely NO reason for someone above novice to battle a newbie or someone whos just trying to have fun, so if you see this you make sure you help that newbie out. when you return the kids strings, try to teach him a move.

-Myst

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I dont think I will ever understand americans

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
yeah dont worry not everyones perfect. =X guess NON americans dont have the DRIVE to be the best.

j.p much love

-Myst

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I always thought poi battles were where you run at each other doing crazy stuff and try to hit each other..

best moves for that are backwards 5 beats.wide corkscrews and beaming poi in general

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i was just thinking about how here in the uk its rare to get enough room to spin in a club, let alone to get a crowd of people to make room and then appreciate what you're doing.

i can see that it might be a little annoying if you are truly non-competitive (very few people) but i guess its like a basic difference in the scenes - ours grew into a juggling oriented approach (play, play, play and ask 'how do you do that?' every once in a while) and the us scene grew into battling (lets see who's spinning is looking good tonight and then talk about what we've just seen each other do and have a bit of a play).

as long as there is little difference between winning and losing (again like breaking circles i've seen in the uk) i'd be happy to spin in an american club.

ya wouldn't find me using glowsticks though

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Myst:
yeah dont worry not everyones perfect. =X guess NON americans dont have the DRIVE to be the best.

Oh, now there is the Myst I know!

And as an American I can say to +)..me either. I see no reason to compete in any of these things (and I am really competitive, but only towards certain things) as I really like to just have a good time, do my shows or share.

I like how Myst described handling a challenge to a "newbie" or "fun haver" by an interception. That was good.
Me...I would just put them down and dance without them. I am that non-competitive about it. I figure if someone is insecure enough to want to show off that badly, they can have the space.
I admit though, I like the relative respect shared between spinners in the battles. There tends to be good sportsmanship from what I understand. In the world of Bellydance the competitive nature is there with much more petty undertakings that I simply don't like.

And the difference between East Coast and West Coast is apathy versus inundation...which is the attitudes that non-spinners tend to have in each respectively.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
You can tell Myst lives very close to L.A... but I wish him the best of luck, PLUR.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
since there is next to no poi community here I guess I don't have to worry about this silly battling stuff (well the battle where you interweave your moves just seems like it would be fun just for the shear novelty and difficulty of it)

If I was spinning and some dick walked up to me and stared me in the eye I would just laugh in his face. This isn't the wild west or something, christ.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Its not a real battle unless swords are involved.

Raph

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Sounds a bit EGOTISTICLE in here.
I Battle the Ego every time I step into a fire ring. I don't think I'm better than anyone, But I'm definatly Not Worse!
As for Glow Sticks (the silly little things), I would mutch prefer seein a very talanted Fire Dance, than a Speraticly Fast Glow-Comp.

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
so what are you saying?

fire is better than glo?!!???

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by +):
I dont think I will ever understand americans

T

i dont think i will ever understand how to do that damn weave? can any one help me
shit wrong forum!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Oh, NO! not the glow vs fire argument again

The poi battles I have seen are more like two people both spinning at the same time. One person leas, the other person follows, starting with a simple move and then getting more complicated, untill the other person steps up the pace a bit, byt adding another move and another. like a butterfly for instance, just keep adding variations untill one of you cant go anyfarther. It is more of a mutual poi spin, not a competition. And people around you watch the light show. It is a very good experience for both spinners, more like a linking of minds and a sharing of energy.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
More like a pissing contest disguised as a linking of minds and shareing of energies.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yeah, yeah.
you're just grumpy cos you've got no-one to link minds, share energies with or even to compare your 'pissing distance' to.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
ok you need to NOT bring up the glow v.s fire argument. honestly i doubt any of you know the difference in them, you just generalize it as poi, but with glowsticks you can get SO MUCH MORE TECHNICAL. but you wouldnt understand that. Stop thinking of glowstringers as poi'ers. if they spin glowsticks exsactly how they would spin fire, i understand FIRE OWNS, but if they get hella technical with wraps and other things (i choose not to share my ideas and concept moves on boards) then there's no comperison. I twirl fire and i glowstring, they are two completely seperate things. i personally think fire twirling the way most of you, or the vids iv seen of you, is boring. iv also seen some glowstringing vids and thought to myself boring. im not saying either or is better, im saying this shouldnt even be an issue cause its a preferance, i prefer glowstringing but love fire as well, other people prefer fire. so STFU get over it. maybe one day ill show you why glowstringing needs to be respected. to all you that say FCK FIRE, ya'll can kiss my ass, to all of you that say **** glowsticks, you all can kiss my ass aswell. for the rest of you MUAHZ!!! much love. **end of ranting**

Myst

p.s yes i do live close to LA, i even lived in LA for 4 months, where do you think those kids learned to string from, ask any GOOD stringer from LA if he knows Myst.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
poeple who spin ANYTHING are all stupid, I don't even know why I hang out with you all....

glow stick = suk

fire = suk

twirling kittens by their tails...no THAT is true fun...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Yippee.
HOP just hasn't been the same without a cocky little raver kid telling us "how we're all crap and we don't know nuffin. "

[Great. just perfect, spot on top marks for attitude]

and how "none of you fire spinners can do anything that "Me and my Krew" can do, and you come down her to... and we'll kick your ass."
"and you fire spinner wouldn't even understand."
[classic rant fantastic]
"and I've got loads of moves and Im not going to tell you cos they're mine, do you hear me all mine, i own them..... "
[myst your playing the stereotype perfectly]

And remember, after you write "STFU" - finish with PLUR
[like a good little raver]

Lovely jubbly.
:Laughs:

[ 19. June 2003, 05:01: Message edited by: Glåss ]

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Let's not get into arguments here! Myst, dude, you have a very good point...I also think there's a huge difference between glowsticking and firespinning. But presenting your argument that way will only lead to trouble...trouble that we've seen before, I'm sure that's what glass is referring to.

No more fire/glow arguments! The styles are different, bordering on incomparable, which is why the arguments go nowhere.

Page: