Forums > Social Chat > Oh, I'm about to move overseas I don't even know what emotion this is!

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Right, so, I leave in just about nine days. eek And I'm mostly ready but there are some things, like bank accounts, which are still in limbo.

And... and... I'm still feeling out of shape and stuff. And just generally confused. And lost... and I'm worried, cos I'm gonna be all like wavehello but then what if I can't find people that I click with? What if I've forgotten how to make friends or something ridiculous?

redface confused

At least I have beerchug and juggle

Now I just have to calm down...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
You have friends here already biggrin

Anyway, if you can cope with Americans you can cope with Brits wink

You're lovely - you'll do fine here hug

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
the beginning is probably gonna be exiting and nasty at the same time, but then it gets great

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ubblol

well, its true that brits are nicer, as a whole... ubbrollsmile but i'm also so geeky! and being female only helps so much in those instances...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
kyrian... if you have juggle, weavesmiley and/or HoP, you have friends EVERYWHERE!!

a big move like that is very exciting... best of luck with it biggrin hug

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
wow! thats so exciting! You'll make friends! no worries there! hug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
ya, you've been to UK before haven;t you? You know how friendly the crew are there? On the other hand don't be down on yourself if you do find that it is disorienting moving country...or underestimate the differences between apparently similar cultures. We take difference more for granted when going to a place where the language is different. (I'm an Aussie who's lived in UK at different times, and my hubby was a Brit who made the change the other way...)

Overall, enjoy! One way of helping yrself through is keep a journal where you can write those 'I say tomayto you say tomarto" type glitches... offload them on paper rather than get hung up on them or bitch about htem. Then in a few months you can look at it and realise how you've travelled internally as it were...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Kyrian! You are beautiful and fun, and geekiness is a lovely character trait amongst our circles... You will be just fine, keep your sense of humour about you, and stay open.

My experience is that the UK in general is soooo much more friendly than the Us or Canada. I always meet tons of people even when I am just out wandering around someone starts up a convo and invites me for a drink!The population density alone ensures that in any given area there will be at least some people with common interests... You will make friends of the social variety super fast, and I am sure the deeper ones will develop in time as they always do.

Have fun, you are lucky to be having such a wonderful new adventure. I may just see ya there in not so very long!

xoxo

Andrea

PS

I find dark chocolate cures nervousness really well, and dancing or a good run cures both nervousness *and* feeling out of shape!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
hey! where abouts are you moving to over here?

|x.,x.,x|

SezzieSILVER Member
journeyman
54 posts

Posted:
Don't worry - see it as an adventure! clap

It's always a bit tricky at first when you move somewhere new but after a while you'll meet people, make friends and wonder what you worried about. The worst and best bit is having great friends in various locations around the world!

I've just got back from travelling around SE Asia (I know it doesn't quite compare but...) and I was terrified before I went. Was I too old to do the backpacking thing, what if I didn't meet people who were like me, etc etc. I had the best time and met the greatest bunch of people, now I'm doing it all again moving to a new city here in UK!!

Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop and look around once in a while you just might miss it!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
When and where do you arrive in the UK. I'm sure we could muster a HoP greeting crew to welcome you and make you feel more at home. It's not like we don't have enough of them all over the UK ubblol Although thinking about it most HoPpers are a little flakey on times and meet up points... but hey we could give it a go. biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kyrian

Right, so, I leave in just about nine days. eek And I'm mostly ready but there are some things, like bank accounts, which are still in limbo.

And... and... I'm still feeling out of shape and stuff. And just generally confused. And lost... and I'm worried, cos I'm gonna be all like wavehello but then what if I can't find people that I click with? What if I've forgotten how to make friends or something ridiculous?

redface confused

At least I have beerchug and juggle

Now I just have to calm down...

Just had a look at your intro thread, you have some pretty awesome interests! I don't think you'll have any trouble meeting people smile.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skulduggery

When and where do you arrive in the UK. I'm sure we could muster a HoP greeting crew to welcome you and make you feel more at home. It's not like we don't have enough of them all over the UK ubblol Although thinking about it most HoPpers are a little flakey on times and meet up points... but hey we could give it a go. biggrin

Sounds like a good plan to me Skully!

Us brits are awfully friendly dont ypu now! wink

Hopefully meet yousoon!
hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Think of the benefits you have by moving! E(uropean) J(uggling) C(onvention), and myriads of WOW-festivals!....

Oh, you're moving to England.... I see. *ponders*

Good luck sweetheart... hug

Watch your liver and write your version of "Yankee in London" *errm* as to "englishman in N.Y." *errm* I guess I should STFU wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well at least you'll be surrounded by rich culture, fantastic people, endless things to do, and people with intersting accents.

You know... at least til you leave New York.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Well at least you'll be surrounded by rich culture, fantastic people, endless things to do, and people with intersting accents.

You know... at least til you leave New York.

wink

ubblol I was laughing so hard I almost started crying! Its true, you certainly hear a myriad of accents and meet the craziest people here, but its not really a friendly city and brooklynites are about the rudest class of people i've ever met!

I'm moving to york. I should probably check my intro thread and update it at some point, but yes, I have a lot of interests and do a lot of things. Its fun. I've had a much harder time making friends in NY tho, and altho i made a handful of social friends doing this that and the other thing i only developed one new close friendship.. on the other hand I wasn't really meeting people that frequently, I'm sure being in school will help... but i'll be "old"....

dilemma's and worrying! I've mostly been excited lately, but now i'm shifting back to worrying... and to be honest, altho the UK crew is quite polite, I'd probably not have said "welcoming" in most instances, perhaps just because i'm too shy???! certainly there are some exceptions, but mostly i've just felt overwhelmed so far except in small groups. And then I tend to get left alone in my sort of overwhelmed-ness.

Oh, I'm babbling! Well I do hope to meet some more of you after I get over there, and perhaps i'll be less shy after I've regained some self confidence? or something?

I'm babbling again....

Why am I so NERVOUS? ... I think just because I've been having such a hard time really making new friends lately... bah....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I think a greeting party would be fun lol not as if we are a big country or anything lol....

U will be fine people love jugglers and spinners

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
I live kinda near york...

I vote for a welcoming party....

Woo! party!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
well term doesn't start right away if anyone fancies coming by york on that weekend... wink

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
weekend.... *boooo* weekends. i work... *dammit*

BUT! if you are gonna be around for a bit, i'm hoping to get down to your for a meet anyway, i hear that there are some regulary?

|x.,x.,x|