Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Everyone you meet seems to have a celebrity as a good mate or family relative. Well, nearly everyone. Just curious as to who in theory we could contact here if we wanted some celebrity kudos. Ok, if we wanted some celebrity kudos.
They have to be your claims to fame (not "My mums' best mates' dad knows..." etc.) and they have to be true

1) Reuben (www.wordsfromreuben.com) - Guy, the drummer. Good friend, and I've drum-teched for him once or twice

2) Kym Marsh (ex-hear'say) - I audtioned for her (Hey! It's a job!) but didn't get it.

3) Darius - Likewise, audtioned but didn't get it

4) Direct (ish..) family link to Sir Francis Drake

5) My sister went to Uni with Brian May's son and my old guitarist is in a band with John Deacon's son, so in theory I could jam with 2/3 of the remaining Queen... (Ok, so it's no a direct link, but it's still cool)

6) I've met and hung out with Saddam Hussains nephew - who, incidently, is a very nice guy. As is his body guard and chauffer.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
MC Hammer is my cousin.

Actually, that's a huge lie, but it'd be cool if he was, I could borrow his pantaloons
I don't actually have any claims to fame that I know of, the nearest I've got is meeting Debbie Mcgee and asking her questions for about a minute while I was working on a traffic census.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Chilled out in a hollywood hotel with Chris Evans, Billi Piper, Trever Stevens (remember - England team in the world cup '90)

They bought me and my friend lots of extremely expensive champagne ($400 a bottle) and we had a good chat etc.

Couldn't contact them though so I guess it doesn't count....

Oh and for a minor claim to fame, I was taught artificial intelligence by Dr. Sharkey at Sheffield Uni. She is Noel Sharkey's wife - the head referee for 'robot wars'

Jo

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Nancy my gurl, used to sing regular with many punk, ska and ska-core bands at the Vic in Derby, bands such as Sponge and lightyear, she knows so many famous band members.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my claim to fame: i know jo derry, he seems to famous the world over. especially around the HOP board.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ooo - I forgot some;
Famous people who have taught me drums:
- Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- Mike Sturgis (A-ha, Bowie, Asia etc...)
- Pete Riley (Republica, but don't let that fool you, he's awesome)
- Andy Gangadeen (Massive Attack, The Bays, Spice Girls but only for the money )
- Steve Wasgington (Just about every famous British band at some stage)
- Bob Doulton (It Bites, who I've never heard of but apparently are/were quite famous)

Famous people I've played drums with:
- Mark Rich and Ace (Skunk Anansie)
- Keyboard player from the Brand New Heavies
- Pete "Freezin'" Frisen (Alice Cooper)

I've also been lectured by Fergal Sharkey (The Undertones) and The Stranglers old singer (whose name I've forgotten) who I asked to play Golden Brown for me - which he did

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Well I grew up, and raced with Bodie Miller in Franconia NH. Partyed alot at his house. (He Got Silver in the combined, @ the 2002 Olyimpic Games. Won many world Cups)

I spent a night at a bar, in Homer Alaska, with Ani Difranco.

I partyed with Phish in Berlington, VT. (before they got Really Big) Talked to all of them individualy for a while.

Thats all I can recall right now.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm tricky,

Ben Miller (of Miller and Armstrong) used to live across the road and came to my birthday parties when I was likkle - and I have photos to prove it! He looks kind of cute in shorts )

I used to go riding with the son of a general in the Shah of Iran's imperial army.

My mate Si is a chum of Fat Boy Slim and went to his wedding.

My Dad edited a Nobel prize winning manuscript.

My ex-boyfirend was DJing at the Dome this New Year.

Richard O'Brien sent me a postcard - which became my most treasured possession for absolutely yonks.

I snogged Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson.

(OK, so the last one's just wishful thinking, sigh... )

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
My uncle was a stunt double for I believe it was Tom Cruise in Cliffhanger, he set up the bridge in 'The 13th Warrior', the rope that Jim Carrey goes across in 'Ace Ventura Pet Detective 2', and various other movies like that mountain climbing one that was really big that was done either in Oz or New Zealand. Ya, my Uncle is like the mountain type climbing expert for the company that he works for which is involved in alot of big movies.

I have met the guys briefly from Moneyshot, one of the biggest underground punk bands on Vancouver Island.

Same thing for Hot Hot Heat, which are a punk band that have gotten signed, but it is really really really hard to get thier stuff. So ya, more eventually, oh and myself, I have been on t.v. once or twice

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Mine is strangely Australian so I will understand if people outside the country do not know what I am talking about.

One of my mates is the nephew of Yahoo Serious, so I have met him a couple of times. No, I don't know what his real name is. Yes, he insists on being called Yahoo in real life. And he plays a good game of pool, although we beat him. Pretty nice bloke.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

primative_toyshappy hunting
228 posts

Posted:
to keep the australiana theme going id like to add that steve erwin is as complete a tool in real life as on the fukin show..... for all those who dont know who im talking about think crocidiles.... and eating of pet by crocidiles...
need another clue...
mythmitch

regret nothing, learn everything

fire_light_movement

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
well im famus
have worked on 2 movies and 3 tv shows

ok as an extra but i got to meet lurance fishburn and kerrie-ann moss on the set of matrix 2 (i even got to twirl for them at the afer shoot party lurance was very imprest i nearly shat me keets)

and im in garrage days a aussie movie about ocal pub bands and there strugle to get signed and play big gigs

know the members of machine gun felatio a sydney band of illreput of silly crazy behavyou on stag
loys of nudity and stuff including doing a strip to the thream from the muppet show (that one always gose down well wth the punters)

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I have a mate who would be so jealous of that. She met the band down in Canberra on her uni campus, and they asked her backstage to party with them. But she couldn't go because she was waiting on the results of a student election, and had to stay where she was. I don't think they were impressed

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
last gig i was at they all piked on partying

i can say i have out partyed MGF and thats a hard thing to do but seeng as most of them where almost comatosed from 3 weeks of partying while on tour meh

mist them last week will have to wait till big day out till i can see them again

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
well, a few years back i coulda hooked y'all up with brad pitt, as my best mate at the time is his cousin or second cousin, i misremember which.
don't talk to her anymore though.

truth to tell i could prolly get ahold of a lot of famous people, i'm trying to convince my roomate that i should get to meet elijah wood.

just for an example of my roomate's life, her friend that she most wants to date is dating kelly osbourne. and boy did i have to hear about that!

i also indirectly know the head of the NSA (friends' uncle.)

there's some other weird ones lurking, but i can't remember them all right now.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My roommate wants to be the Surgeon General (and is likely to make it, too!). How cool is that? I'll get to be "old friends" with the Surgeon General!

I met President Clinton briefly once. The conversation was "Hey, Mr. President!" He said "Hey!" Chelsea lived in my girlfriend's house.

Um...the guy who designed the World Trade Center also designed part of my parents' house.

There's a few others somewhere...I'll think of them when the time comes.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
fame or shame I am not sure But I used to work on Pee Wee Hermans car..All I can say is the dude was real strange ..

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
welllllll...

if you dont live in australia and dont follow australian footy yer screwed....

Danny Moore. used to play for Manly (dunno wtf hes doin now) is my 3rd cousin. (plz sum1 know him!)

oh and ive met and hung out with Grinspoon (a guy in the band -cant member which one- is friends with my cousins friend. so we tagged along for an awesome afternoon)

thats it.

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Claims to fame, OK

*I once head butted David Beckham (not hard) when i worked at Knutsford service stations

*I did a fire twirling gig abut 3 months ago for Manny, the drummer out of Tears for Fears

*I've met Joe Guest and Malinda Messenger

*My ex is an actress, and did a Walkers crisps advert with gary liniker

*I missed out on a part in Cold Feet (fire twirling) by a week *They couldn't find any one so gave up on the idea* Gutted

*I know the stunt man who worked on the movie 'The headless horseman'.

*I once tried to pick a fight with Adam Ricket (Gale's son in corrie)

*I pulled one of the women out of the TV series 'Grafters' (The older scouce one)

*OB out of Hollyoaks gave me a black eye in Mr Smiths

*I used to drink with Bob Carolgees (Spit the Dog)

I'm sure there are more but i can't think of them at the moe.

* Oh, I used to drink with the guy who wrote and drew Dennis the Mennis

(Thanks Pink Poi you reminded me of two more)

*My mum brought her Jag off Warrior from gladiators

*My mum used to go out with, in real life, one of the brothers that the movie 'East is East' was about, when she used to live in Manchester (It was the designer/artist)

*I also come from the same lil' town as the Charlatans

*I forgot my biggest claim to fame.... My ancestors along with others, set up the Russian State Circus
*Is it any wonder i am as i am*

LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

[ 17. January 2003, 05:50: Message edited by: Trippy Hippy ]

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
emm..
My sister used to know Let Loose (old early 90's pop group) untill they became famous.

My mum used to go out with James Hunt (old motor racer but now dead)And she once knew Gary Rhodes.

I've met Uri Gellar, a royal navy sea lord, Richard E Grant (he gave me a kiss on my cheek!)

Um.. my dad used to know "Hunter(?)" from Gladiators...

Thats all i can think of off hand for now.

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
heh, nice topic

- was in the movie sleeping with the enemy as an extra, got to meet julia roberts

- went on the jaeger tour with a jaeger sponsored band, so I got to hang out with the guys from drowning pool, coal chamber(not all of them, they were having problems so didn't play for like the last half of the tour), and 40 below summer(kewl guys).

- My step dad used to know the governor of SC, Dick Riley, so I got to meet him several times.

- partied at Bill gates house when I worked at Microsoft, and have been in meetings with Steve Ballmer, and their current CTO, tho I forgot his name.

- met the fridge(William Perry) last week, still tryin to meet James Brown cuz he lives here.

- met Tech Itch(Matt), smoked out in the VIP area

- talked to Donald GLaude several times

- got to talk to Jackie Chan briefly once

hmm, I kno there are a couple more, just can't think of them right now

peace

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
If any of you watch curling then you may know what I'm talking about. Shawn Adams' team from Bridgewater, Nova Scotia used to practice while I did, and I work with his lead, Ben Blanchard.

Donald Sutherland (Actor) and Glen Murray (Hockey Player) are both from my town.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Forgot to say this:

MikeGinny, I hope a plane doesn't crash into your house.

poirob2member
43 posts

Posted:
Met both Jimmy Salvale and Alan Shearer in a hotel bar in Newcastle after running the great north run. Got jimmys autograph, but not alans

Is this were Im supposed to write something interesting.....errmm.........AVOCARDO!!!!!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NickC:
Forgot to say this:

MikeGinny, I hope a plane doesn't crash into your house.

At least we know we'll have a few hours to evacuate...

(Ok, sick humor...sorry)

-Mike

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
tolkien was my great aunts god father.. I think.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny (Lightning):

Um...the guy who designed the World Trade Center also designed part of my parents' house.

So he had managed to design the World Trade Centre in a blink but pressumably designing all of your parents' house was just too mammoth a task! Just kidding Mike!

I do know most of the big names in dnb and I know the boys from the Happy Mondays pretty well too. That's my contribution!

Oh, and my granny's godfather was Matt Busby too. I'm one of the lucky few who can easily justify supporting Man Utd!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
My famous friends are
Boris Bratishchev,one of the bests world violin makersDebra Brown,choreographer from Circus De Soleil....... ....... - Germany member of Binary division Hackers groupLena Kohn,Detlef - from Germany, the best 2 and 3 diabolos I ever saw.

[ 17. January 2003, 04:39: Message edited by: Richee ]

POI THEO(R)IST

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
right, all the ozzies are including tenuous links so i will follow suit - they will get less and less impressive as they go on...

my nan used to be barbera windsor's sister-in-law (they were married to ronnie and johnny knight back in the day) - she never liked her though.

i've met ?uestlove (drummer from the roots). twice.

i met floella benjamin from playschool when i was five.

my mum used hang out with a bunch of musicians when she was a young lass; stevie winwood, the spencer-davis group and the stones.

the obligatory australian claim to fame - my dad got pissed with jacko!

my mate mike's second cousin is reece shearsmith from the league of gentlemen (the one who plays edward, benjamin, ross, papa lazarou...).

[ 17. January 2003, 23:10: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I once knew a guy called Horace.
Also, this one is great - in the building where I work, and I kid you not, there's a guy called Bob Sherunkle

Honest.

Don't worry, be happy...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Salinger:
So he had managed to design the World Trade Centre in a blink but pressumably designing all of your parents' house was just too mammoth a task! Just kidding Mike!
Hopefully he put more care into our living room than into the WTC!

No, actually, most of the house was there. My parents just had him design the added living room. His design firm (the Yamasaki design firm) is local.

The firm also designed my temple. Here are some pictures. It's a really beautiful building.

Exterior view (from air)
Interior view (from center aisle)

-Mike

Page: