Forums > Social Discussion > Getting stopped at the airport, even the CEO of Qantas isn'ty exempt!

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
HEADLINE : Margaret Jackson Qantas CEO frisked as terrorist suspect at LA as guard refuses to believe a woman could head an airline.

11 January 2006

Qantas chief executive Margaret Jackson has revealed she was frisked and suspected of being a terrorist on a trip to Los Angeles last year.

An airport security guard refused to believe a woman could be the head of Australia's national carrier, and questioned her over documents detailing plans for a new plane.

© 2006 NZCity, NewsTalkZB

And here's the link to the story as well... News Link

I am really worried that these guys are supposed to be the spearhead of airport security in the States...

Has anyone else had something as lame when passing through an international airport?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
It's really good to know that Sexism was abolished ages ago... Oh, wait a minute... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This is truely horrible.

Shouldn't all rich white people be treated equally reguardless of sex?

And when it comes to airport security, I'd much rather them error on the side of passenger convenience than safety.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
NYC, I have the feeling someone is going to come in and not understand your post again!

I am, admittedly, disturbed that the secuirty people are deciding who can and can't be the head of an airline tongue. I mean, either everyone they don't personally know of (If you knew her name and the ID matches, let it go) with airplane plans might be a bit suspect. But...

But I am disturbed that they probably wouldn't have done it if she was a white male. Thats the part I don't like :/ *Sighs* At least she wasn't middle eastern they prolly would have shot her or something.

I have to admit airport security is way crazier in the states than in Britain/Uruguay (Altho Argentina is about as bad when its US inbound) tho... its fun to play spot the americans in foriegn security lines because they tend to be the ones with shoes off and laptops out, as if they can't possibly break the habit....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol at NYC.
yep, you might need one of those one eyed icons wink
like that one in fact biggrin

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Sexism alive and kicking in today's day and age....sad isn't it.

On the topic of weird stoppages at airports:

I got stopped for Tictac's in Amsterdam.....

The guy at the x-ray machine thingy grabs my bag as it comes out, looks at it me and asks if it is my bag. I of course say yes knowing there is nothing bad in it.

He pulls out a box of white TicTac's (small oval shaed white mints in a small plastic box for those who don't know them), asks me what they are.

I was so tempted to tell him they were E's but decided on the truth instead. Should have offered him one while I was at it just to be nice.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Charles

An airport security guard refused to believe a woman could be the head of Australia's national carrier, and questioned her over documents detailing plans for a new plane.

HEADLINE : Margaret Jackson Qantas CEO frisked as terrorist suspect at LA but let through with secret Australian DEATH plane plans, placing entire world at risk of real "Drop Bears".

plus, yes in the business world women get paid less on average. Plus can you think of any mainstream sports that only women play or than are predominantly women? (In the same way that rugby is predominantly men, and womens rugby is nowhere.) I tried and couldn't.... And by mainstream I mean on tv regularly.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

NYC, I have the feeling someone is going to come in and not understand your post again!

I like having my own personal litmus tests. It lets me see who's who.

wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

There... now I'm even for the next time.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Plus can you think of any mainstream sports that only women play or than are predominantly women?

[...]

And by mainstream I mean on tv regularly.

you're damn right there.

all i could come up with were equestrian and beach volleyball.

women's tennis is better than mens though - and i'm not just saying that because of sharapova wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, female tennis players are practically the only well known female sports people apart from athletes. And kelly holmes retired already... frown

I was astounded when I realised. I mean, what are all the women out there DOING? Apart from pilates and yoga? wink

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:

plus, yes in the business world women get paid less on average. Plus can you think of any mainstream sports that only women play or than are predominantly women? (In the same way that rugby is predominantly men, and womens rugby is nowhere.) I tried and couldn't.... And by mainstream I mean on tv regularly.

Olympic figure skating? Gymnastics? Cheerleading? I know I see all those on TV regularly... do I win anything? smile

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sure mcp, netball, the biggest participation sport in Australia.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you're in america, we don't have cheerleading over here... frown and it's not a sport.

figure skating: equal men and women I would say. same with gymnastics, if not more male dominated, especially since it's grown men versus teenage girls. (better than pre-teens as it used to be I guess)

There's no mainstream sport that men just 'don't' play...

Stone: Net-balls on TV?
EDITED_BY: mcp (1137013055)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think I've actually seen more American Cheerleading in the UK than in the US over the past 4 years.

Women's soccer might have actually been bigger out here than men's soccer for like a second. Then Mia Hamm retired. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Who?

wink

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
what about synchronized swimming???

you dont see too many guys doing that tongue

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
LIES! LIES!

There are even homosexual synchronized swimmers.

More men doing synchronised swimming than women wearing clown costumes and bacflipping down the raod handing out tickets to go see Elvis Prestley and Marylin Munroe jelly wresting in the flat they share with Vladimir Putin.

I seem to have lost my train of thought...
No wait....there wasnt any train in the first place.... confused

A HA!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
softball is womens...still no coverage though.

Netball is shown on tv in australia.

and australia is very good at women's cricket. but then again, that seems to just be us and NZ (similar to international netball really)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Equestrian is male dominated at the top, altho just. In fact, it might even be year to year if its equal or slightly over to males. Er, lemme rephrase. Eventing is near equal, show jumping is still male dominated on the whole, and Dressage seems to be slightly female doinated altho not the way gymnastics is female dominated, or popular tennis. In america they show female golfers a lot, but thats about the only other thing I can think of and they still show male golfers more...

Volleyball tho, very female dominated.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
To veer a little bit more on topic and raise a question I raised in the new racism thread...

Is this really surprising that a woman claiming to be CEO (actually, someone told me shes a chair person, NOT a CEO... which may run against my argument a little) of a major airliner raised eyebrows?

To borrow from MCP, can you name a woman CEO? Because the only one that comes to my mind is the woman in Hewlett Packard... and THAT was big news for a while when she was appointed. As such, I don't find it too surprising that a security official found this "out of the ordinary". Because whether or not its RIGHT or not, the situation stands for itself: there AREN'T many high ranking female officials in that position that are well known publically.

Im sure women make excellent high ranking officials, and I think its sad there aren't more of them. But they are rare, and as security officials are trained to look for the "out of the ordinary", I'm not surprised.

Comments?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I can't name a CEO apart from bill gates and richard branston. And those for obvious reasons, thou I don't know if they are CEO's or have some other job title.

It's just like that little puzzle goes:

A father and son are travelling on a scheduled flight; the father asks the flight attendant if his son may visit the cockpit and she takes him there. When he's gone the pilot explains to the co-pilot "That was my son". Explain.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Pilot's his mother

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, to some people this is completely obvious, to others it makes them think holy [censored], I never thought a pilot would be a woman I've got to get rid of these stereotypes!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

A father and son are travelling on a scheduled flight; the father asks the flight attendant if his son may visit the cockpit and she takes him there. When he's gone the pilot explains to the co-pilot "That was my son". Explain.

I naturally assume that everyone has two gay dads unless they tell me otherwise. And even then I usually ask them to prove it. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
*smirks* @ NYC

I assume that every girl I meet is a bisexual, but asking them to confirm it normally earns me a slap wink biggrin

Well? Y'all are bi-curious at heart, ain't ya??

*Ducks and runs*

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.