ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Lately since i've mastered the normal weave with my sock poi's, i've been weaving with two poi's in each hand. it looks pretty cool, can't wait to try it out with my fire pois.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
meteors wink

About as much fun as you can have with a length of chain and some fire tongue

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Why not just do double staff?
tongue

Looks cooler, and chicks dig it. wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm having trouble visualizing this. Is it some sort of two poi spinning in each hand, in split time magic? Or simply spinning the weave, but holding on to two poi?

278 posts

Posted:
It's the second one stout. it's your basic weave but with 2 poi's in each hand.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I see, then I have to ask why?

I can understand spinning two sets of poi as a training aid because the extra weight will serve to slow you down, but spinning two sets lit? I think that's unnecessarily complicating things, and you could find yourself in the middle of a tangled mess of chains and wicks if things didn't go as planned.

If the issue is more fire, then, maybe larger wicks are the way to go, or if your chains are different lengths, then a set of doubles or triples will give the same effect.

I just tried spinning two sets, and was unsuccessful in getting anything other that a very small amount of separation between the wicks as I spun, with the exception of the corkscrew. If separating the wicks is your goal, then you might be happier with a couple of those frustrating self abuse instruments mentioned above,,,,, meteors

10,530 posts

Posted:
ditto

S'why doubles are better.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I totally agree FRD, if you want four points of fire, then definitely double staff, but if you can handle a whole burn doing one handed butterfly moves with a set in each hand, that would work too. It's beyond my capabilities though.

10,530 posts

Posted:
And you can do contact...

mmmm... contact ubblove

Doing four poi is really limited. Weaves, butterflys, and turns. Thats all you can really manage.

Doubles you can do anything. Much broader range of moves.

You can even look good and silly. Which is all the rage theses days...

smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
geeez, then why pull off a 2bags? wink

Butterfly with 4 lit poi while balancing a fiery bicycle on your face is IMPRESSIVE!

ubblol

That's CoL 5 if anyone didn't see it smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

Good question. Why!? wink

Yeah, that was indeed awesome. But where do you go from there?

Turn with it? tongue

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Pull a 2bags while skating around in those newfangled fire skates someone rigged.

NOW! GO DO IT NOW!

And video tape it. ubbloco

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

10,530 posts

Posted:
I;d only be interested if there was isolations in it.

Maybe even antispin flowers...

mmm... that'd be total props..

biggrin

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:

That's Play if anyone didn't see it wink

i agree doubles are much better while less limiting, though if you could manage spit time magicness then it may be worth it

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

278 posts

Posted:
It's not really the point of complications. I just think it looks pretty cool with sock poi's and it may look even cooler with fire poi's. Just one of my thoughts. As i'm kinda new to poi (about 2 months now) i've been practising loads of new things, double poi weave being one of them.

10,530 posts

Posted:
But doubles looks cooler!

Don't you listen!?

wink

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Unless I forgot the bit before the bike was thrown on the floor and put out, I don't remember that at play.

Play was two flaming bikes smile

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

278 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

But doubles looks cooler!

Don't you listen!?

wink

I don't denie that Doubles look cooler, hell yeah they look cool. I'm still practising single staffs, when i'm more confident in not hitting myself in the head i'll try out doubles.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
at 1.00 on the top right, 2 meteors

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

278 posts

Posted:
Sorry i would comment on the video but i can't view it, as my computer freezes if i open anything up in media player. i'll have a look at it when i'm at college though.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo

FRD- dont be so worried about cool, its all relative, and pleasure from achivement is much more rewarding.

as for 4 poi weave, loads of intresting stuff here, do you mean a same time weave (the 4 poi make one line) or a quarter time weave (the 4 poi make a cross)

either way you might want to experiment with sticks a little just to see how the planes interact, i always had the problem with double staff quarter time weave that you needed a fingerspin or similar to get the second beat on the relative side stick (heavy sentace i know but i aint got time to expand/clarify)

not shure how this would work with poi, maybe you could get the same effect with a little bit of tangle/handwrap action.

things to look at:

learning 3 beat weave 2 poi in one hand, this means swapping the leading poi each time, is devilshly difficult but perfectly possible!

weave with two one handed butterflyies.

if you have the two buterflies going in oposite time (one crossing at the top whilst the other crosses at the bottom) you should be able to weave them round each other buterfly weave style.

this has gotta be pretty cool because it will have a combined anti/normal spin flower look ( :P FRD)

i have no idea if this is actually possible, i havent modeled it.

just some ideas that concentrate less on cool ness and more on pure bad-ass darkside spinning! keep it up!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

just some ideas that concentrate less on cool ness and more on pure bad-ass darkside spinning! keep it up!

oxymoron senses tingling... sunny

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
ok, so i know its off topic and stuff, but that last video posted there, at about 2:05 there is a guy holding what looks like 2 candles or mini wicks or something in his hands. and for a brief second they show him doing some glowsticking type moves with em. WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS CALLED? I like to go glowsticking occasionally but it would be bad ass to do it with fire instead. so...anyone give me a heads up so I can buy some of em??????

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:

Butterfly with 4 lit poi while balancing a fiery bicycle on your face is IMPRESSIVE!

ubblol

Spinning four lit poi and balancing two bikes on your face! now that's impressive wink

That's PLAY Festival if you didn't see it smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Ravenhillmember
47 posts

Posted:
And Fal4, wasn't Fal4 before Play?

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi