Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > behind the back weave ??? *sob* need help !! *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

Login/Join to Participate

gothicmember
29 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by gothic

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
in my opinion its a pretty rubbish trick and i wouldnt worry about it to much... youll learn it one day when you are ready, and you probably wont have to try very hard, itll just happen. just keep spinning poi and learn what feels natural to learn.

if you still want to learn btb weave practise doing it with each poi separatly just to get the feeling for the stretch in your arms, make sure your poi stay spinning in nice circles. and searhc this forum for better tips, good luck smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
If you take a look at my intro thread, there's links that might help. Most specifically, the Poi Lessons links. Mot's place and DoMorePoi both have good vid tutorials on the subject.

[Old link]

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
ya, as always do a search, lots of threads about this. one quick tip though, get 2 sticks or dowel rods or cardboard tubes or whatever. just 2 LONG STRAIGHT objects. hold these and try the movements, this will help you get your hand position correct and also to work out where your hands need to be. then once you can do it smoothly with the sticks, you switch to the poi and begin to beat yourself senseless. The sticks are great for the MOVEMENT but there is also a good bit of wrist and finger movement involved in getting it down clean, thats what the poi are for. so, give it a shot ,let us know how it turns out then eh?

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
I would suggest learning behind the back butterfly first so that ur arms become flexible enough to do it. unlike normal weave u have to move from side to side to start off with... eventually that sort of calms down and its just slight rocking motion. But apart from that keep practising and like any other move start with one poi first and keep it simple to start with (2bt moving on to 3bt.) biggrin

One of the many Duncans...
Feel the burn... (in a good way) meditate

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Although there are lots of people who find the BTB butterfly harder than the BTB weave, as its easier to tangle. And I agree, BTB weave isn't that impressive, and creates the same patterns as the weave, usually with the plains a lot less clean. Good luck anyway.

(secret tip:being able to dislocate and relocate your shoulders repeatedly helps loads! wink )

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
i stil like it biggrin saying that u can do stuff behind ur back to people that dont do poi is like amazing to them.
O well each to there own... hows it coming along gothic?

One of the many Duncans...
Feel the burn... (in a good way) meditate

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*kicks himself in the [Old link] *

smile

GuyMorleynewbie
3 posts

Posted:
hey, i picked up poi 4 weeks ago, and not to sond big headed the behind the back weave can only be done with certain length chain or string, it needs to be the perfect length and then its just a load of practice to get ur hands in the right place.

littlegreennewbie
6 posts

Posted:
hiya,

i've been learning this and i'm just getting the feel for it (all be it very messy) I would say stretchy sock poi has been my secret weapon, you hit yourself and the momentum is still there to carry on the move (they also untangle quicker) .....best thing i ever made (they also don't hurt)

good luck

lg

...the more i practice, the luckier I become...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: GuyMorley

hey, i picked up poi 4 weeks ago, and not to sond big headed the behind the back weave can only be done with certain length chain or string, it needs to be the perfect length and then its just a load of practice to get ur hands in the right place.

I'd say this is not at all the case, although, longer poi make it easier to maintain momentum. However, as in moves like the 5-beat weave, you don't want to be using soley the momentum to spin the poi, as this creates general messiness. (for instance the timing goes, and one poi catches up with the other, and the planes aren't controlled)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
The hardest thing to do with this move is to be able to cross one arm ALL THE WAY behind the back to the other side without whimpering in pain. Also, when a hand is on its own side of the body, it does this funky backwards circle around the other hand. It takes a lot of shoulder movement.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

gothicmember
29 posts

Posted:
Hey sinner, well av been practising today with my mate that spins aswell in my college class, was in the city centre for hours tryin it lol haha av got the movements into my head n av done it a few times n then messed up but am getting there if its not my legs its my arms am hitting, can get annoying after a while. yea i knwo wa yea mean its a gd trick to show off to ppl with :P

l8r's \m/Joe\m/

p.s. thx for the reply

gothicmember
29 posts

Posted:
Hey imbalance thx for the advice al try the socks thing hehe sounds better than solid glowsticks to the head legs n stomach :P av been tryin the move all day n av got the movements into my head nows i can kinda do it n then mess up yea know so should be a week or two until i can continuously do it,
thx for the reply
\m/Joe\m/

gothicmember
29 posts

Posted:
Hey guymorley yeaa av heard that before but how long are they ment to be ??? av tryed with me mates poi which r longer than mine n it was easier but i dunno what the right size would be. does that go for all tricks ?

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
reeeeeaally exaggerate the movements.
armmovemen and bodymovement.
it will get smoher with time.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
There is no perfect size, anything within the certain boundary of stupidly long or stupidly short you can find a way to do most moves.

Or you just use stilts as well....*remembers the staff at play*

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Nah stupidly short works fine too, thats how I learned the BTB weave - wrapped em round me hands till there was about 2 inches of slack, that way you can figure out the movement without hitting every possible body part.

gothicmember
29 posts

Posted:
ok ova the lasy few days av been pracising like made the 3 bt btb weave n i can do it easy now !! am onto the 4bt one now but seem to be losing speed n then i just mess up any tips n ideas peeps

\m/Joe\m/

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
stop trying to do the 4bt btb. thats my advice.

i know you think you have the 3bt btb weave down cold. and thats fine but i can garuntee that your haven't gotten the forwards version of it and the turn from reverse to forwards (all btb). Also I bet you haven't quite developed a smooth in and out transition from some other move into the btb stuff. work on all this. that will help your spinning WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than trying to jump from some single direction 3bt btb right into a 4bt(5bt) btb. This is because a long series of smooth moves will help you gain not only better control but also a better sense of movement and grace to your spinning as a whole.

A move is only as good as the flow that leads through it.

Just standing there doings one move after another isn't all that interesting after the first few seconds of "ooooohh that's pretty!"

While i'm glad you were able to get that move, I'll be more glad when you excitedly post on here that you figured out how to go from a forwards 3bt weave to reverse to 3bt btb to forwards 3b btb all in one big turning circle and have it smoooth and flowing.

start practicing infront of a mirror (or reflective surface like say the glass storm door on your front door) and you will start to see how much the transitions and smoothness helps more so than hopping from one move to the other!

Keep POIING!

gothicmember
29 posts

Posted:
hey imbalance, yea thats gd advice, am getting alot better at weaves n changing directions n switching to n from moves into weaves. but from a reverse 3 or 4 bt weave to the btb 3 bt weave i can do, am not saying perfectly but av go the motions n movements am better some days than others but al pick up that smoothness within time :-) am still practising the 3 bt btb like mad to perfect it... am giving myself an aim n idea of what i should progress onto, makes sense from the 3 bt btb weave to the 4 bt right?

yea i agree standing there doing 1 move can be boring, am thinking of if i get the weaves n different variations of it down (ish) until i get better al be able to change the way am facing better

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
then you know, theres also different positions for doing a move. try that 3bt weave way up over your head, leaning backward, down by your legs, etc. I'm slowly discovering new ways to do my same moves now. i've started "moving" the moves I already know to see what different effect I can get.