Page:
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
...a set of glow toys (poi, staff, juggling balls - whichever) what would be your top priorities on the wish list? Here's a few things I've been considering for my hyperlights:

1) Reliability. From what I've heard / read, the offerings from certain established glow-toy manufacturers aren't particularly reliable. I'm building mine to be almost literally bullet proof.

2) Batteries. One thing I personally dislike about a lot of glow toys out there is that you need special chargers for them. If (like me) your memory resembles a seive and you constantly forget things like chargers, the ability to pick up a standard set of batteries and start spinning is definitely a bonues.

3) Flexibility. I spin with socks 90% of the time, and that's what I like. I'd like my glow-toys to be felxible enough that they can do anything my socks can. Ideally, I'd like to get my toys to the point that I'd spin with them during the day they're so comfortable smile

I'd be very interested to hear everyone elses thoughts - What are your biggest hates / loves of current glow toys? What I'm building these things for you guys, so the more / better input you provide, the better they'll be for you biggrin

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Do I get a go? smile

Reliability- Don't make it so they break (they already seem to be pretty sturdy)

Batteries- The pay off has to be how long you get from a set of non LI or equivalent cells- the ability to replace AAs or whatever 'on-the-fly' is one thing, but you don't want that to mean you're having to do it every half and hour because they can't keep up the juice.

Flexibility- I think you may need to offer options here- some like long poi, others shroter, some fingerloops, others grippable handles. Same goes for throwability and tangleability (good bulls**t words if I do say so myself smile).

Aerotech gripes: reliability, brightness, rigidity, charge capacity (in older models) and of course cost.

Illuminati- I've never had the opportunity to spin a set, but they alway looked very impressive and any first hand reports I heard seemed to back that up. Their continued (and mysterious) absence is a shame. I hope Jo is alright.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I hate batteries. Rechargables are better for the environment. I'd rather have a charger. If you use a standard voltage people could buy their own expensive 15 minute chargers for it.

I would like to be able to do three beat weave against a brick wall with a set of glow poi, with them still going at the end. (Even if slightly scratched.)

Otherwise obvously hyperlights are already kick ass!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Three beat weave against a brick wall biggrin biggrin
Why? You sawit somewhrere.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

I would like to be able to do three beat weave against a brick wall with a set of glow poi, with them still going at the end. (Even if slightly scratched.)

Thats a bit much isn't it? Obviously they should be very durable but to actually consciously thwack them repeatedly into a wall is a bit above and beyond the call of duty don't you think? Engineering them to to the that strong would probably make them heavier and bulkier than they need be otherwise- Would it not be better to have 1 or two easily resolvable failures (loose connections etc) rather than make the entire product considerably less weildy.

Dunno. Your probably right- I hate disagreeing with poiple smile

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
"Poiple" biggrin ubblol ubblol

I'd like affordability...

And do you have plans to make any glow staffs? biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
If I can get the technology working in poi, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work in a staff. Afterall, I could just stick an LED in each end, double the batteries and you're away smile

Cake or Death?

XerxesDittomember
36 posts

Posted:
Size, is always an issue...

(perhaps some etched PCBs?)

....And I found the reason why those LEDs were strobing....

I forgot that they were hooked up to an AC supply, unrectified (not the powerpack, but another transformer that only steps down, and doesn't bridge rectify it.)...*embarrassed face*

Sorry, dude...*slaps forehead*

Fear is the mind-Killer...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
The release version of the HyperLights will feature custom PCBs for exactly that reason.

I'd hate to say I told you so, so I'll just sit here and look smug instead biggrin

Cake or Death?

XerxesDittomember
36 posts

Posted:
Damn you!
I fail to see how that is better...

biggrin

Are you using double sided PCB?

Fear is the mind-Killer...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I'm not using any kind of PCB yet. But it could be double (or more) sided depending on costs and performance... still a few more test stages to get through smile

Cake or Death?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
battery life a definate issue, it's really annoying always haveing one dull poi, everytime you replace one the other one dulls.

Weight, obviously don't want to do my back in spinning.

durability, should withstand being bashed together (my personal classic move with glow poi)

What the battery system is doesn't matter too much to me, as long as it works and is easily fueled in whatever way.

I would personally prefer handles, as thats what I mainly spin with, but could cope with socks. (as long as I can knot the ends).

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I know what yo mean about dull poi. I keep recharging one hyperlight then the other (one is very difficult to recharge as it's till the very first prototype!).

I was planning to make the handles modular i.e. you could use socky-type-knots, handles, or whatever your preference. Still thinking about the specifics of that one...

Cake or Death?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:

Also my glow poi keep on accidently turning themselves on (in my bag for instance), causing the problems with the batteries not running out at the same time, so poi that can't be accidently turned on would be great. And it just wastes the batteries anyway- mine aren't rechargable.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

Batteries - rechargeable would be the best option, being able to get hold of extra rechargeable batteries and swap them out would be fantastic. You'd have to be able to do that under festival conditions though, otherwise it's a bit pointless I reckon.

Rigidity - for staffs and clubs, no-one likes a toy that's all floppy when you play with it smile

Ability to take abuse - I agree with meg on this one, I reckon that being able to cope with a weave bounced against a wall would be the minimum they'd have to be able to take. It's not so much of an issue for poi, but a staff is going to be dropped loads, possibly onto a surface that's not very forgiving. The same goes for clubs and devilsticks.

Handles - good ones, really, really good ones, there's no point forking out for expensive toys if they don't feel comfortable when you're spinning. For those who prefer wierd handles, it should be easy to change them.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I want them to come hoop shaped....I want a strong clear hoop with lights in. biggrin

For poi I would like double loop handles, rechargable batteries, soft-ish heads that don't kill you if they hit you in the head, easy to repair if they do actually fail, i.e. it won't cost me an arm and a leg to repair, they need to be strong enough to withstand being dropped, stepped on and battered.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
...and fried, sauted, grilled and garnished.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Don't make me come and bitch slap you Jonny! ubblol spank

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
MMmmmm.. sauted grill-fry glowy poi with a sprig of basil.. yummy

Oh, and the sock-ish style of glow poi would be very interesting.. I think, to add to the list I would say variable weight options, and possibly variable length would be nice as well, if it's possible.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
here are my issues..

size/shape/weight- this gets lopped together because of my extensive issues with each are invariably corelated to the other beefs.. I like my poi round.. round poi spin smoother all around unless they are weighted all lopsided on the inside.. Aerotechs are awesome at this... unfortunately they are also LARGE and thus bulky.. Why spin glowpoi if they are more cumbersome than fire... For me, the ideal poi glopoi would be slightly larger than a golfball.. this would force the weight to stay relatively low.. I say relative, because astrojacks are frickin small and weigh quite a bit.. I understand that such a size constraint like that makes the battery issue harder.. but I could live with that. now I love my glowsticks, but I hate the shape, and would prefer something just a tad heavier.. Losing a good 3+ inches of string to account for the stick size has always presented problems..

reliability.. I like them to be able to take a hit, but they by far dont need to hit a wall.. mine never hit each other.. in fact I think the worst damage I can do to them is when I miss a catch.. or when they release unintendedly..

I'd like them to attach to whatever I want to attach them to... this means I could drop it in a pair of socks, or I could attach it to the end of my strings.. that way I can do my own handles.. I love knot style handles... and would have to come up with some new handle apparatus to account for their weight, so that I could still do the smal bit of contact and get my tosses right..

all that being said.. I thinks its completely and utterly unfeasible... but you asked for what I'd want. and that's it roughly..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
okay, here's a question I've been pondering over.. would you rather have short/fat, or slightly longer/thinner? I'm guessing from your last pos rev, you'd rather they were short/fat?

There's a few ways i could arrange the internals, and I'm still not sure myself which I want to go for...

Cake or Death?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
definately going for the short and fat. (I don't like skinny supermodels).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
About the size of a red bull can I reckon, but without the squared edges so that it bears a fair resemblance to a small cucumber smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
that is HUGE Bov- hyperlight units are already smaller than that- bearing in mind the manner thay workk (diffusion rather than direct light emitting) I can't see the units being that big.

Short and fat BTW smile

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm not really that keen on having cones of light for glowing poi - the small cucumber would be the size of the whole unit, including the size of the light-up area. We are still talking about hypothetical ideal glow toys aren't we? smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Of course Bov... I was asking what people's ideal poi were. 'course, you're opinion is wrong wink hehe

Cake or Death?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
heh, I get told that alot biggrin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
hehe, i'm joking of course.. but it is reassuring to know that (most wink) other people are thinking along the same lines as me! smile

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I think I should shut up- Bov is never wrong... he is a git though wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I want to see black LEDs being used please.
smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
My biggest gripe with led poi is always the weight distribution. Long thin ones always suck, round balls is best.

Once you've made the circuit i'd suggest drowning the whole thing in a load of clear silicone. That should be durable enough.

I'm happy for them to be as big as tennis balls (but much heavier)

Oh yeah, i've not seen your hyperlights but the thing i really hate about glow poi is slow strobes, much much much prefer multi color fades...

Good luch with it all, can't wait to get a pair...

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Page:

HOP Новостная рассылка

Подпишитесь, чтобы получать последние новости о продажах, новых выпусках и многое другое ...