sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
Anyone know anything about the history of staff, or where to find info??Thanks, and hope y'all had a wicked chrissymas!! smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I reckon: some shepherd, WAAAAY back when, came up with it ... I can't speak for any of the other possible origins/histories, but I learned pole/staff by way of Wu Shu ( Kung Fu ). I spin a six foot pole, (not like the short poles I see other twirlers use), largely; modified combat moves, a la the Shaolin Temple and Jackie Chan.The Shaolin Temple really took off around 520 AD, I can't say for sure when the pole was formaly studied and developed as a weapon. The pole/staff is reportedly one of the favoured 'weapons' of the Shoalin Monks ( Movie Reference: The Shaolin Temple, starring Jet Li ).As a combat style there is very little 'throwing' of the pole. If at all, the pole is thrown in such a way that it momentarily distracts the attacker, while the thrower moves in, grabs the pole, and then, er, crunches the attacker ...My pals learned staff from 'Hippies who'd been to India' and their style is radically different to mine. Lots of throwing, lots of fast, frenetic sequences. A six foot pole is slow by any stadards (thus ideal for meths+boric acid), but far more mesmerizing than poi and therefore ( 3 dots ), IMHO, a pole is more suited to someone who dances WHILE they spin ...In a nut shell:The History of Staff = History of Entertainment. Some one did it, some one loved it. Don't stop ...

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
i reckon its one of those things that pre-dates history.rocks=> sticks=> clubs=> bones=> fire.fighting off other big hairy neolithic beasties with flaming branches. survival of the fittest kinda thing?to find info, check the martial arts sites, and the new staff vids are excellent. go x!don't forget to watch TV. Jackie Chan (can't remember the name of the film) once beat off at least 10 guys with poles, and all he had was a ladder.does anyone have any moves for the fire ladder? winkcheerso-o

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Have you ever seen the Sumo guys in between bouts twirling a staff in the air. They are pretty good with those things! Where do the origins of staff come from - a multitude of sources I would imagine - especially from martial arts. Although I'm sure majorettes would disagree and say that staffing is the natural progression from baton twirling and techno mirrors the beats of the marching bands.You never know.... ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats