Forums > Help! > poi/staff/fire inspired jewellery

Login/Join to Participate

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
ok, this may not be the right place for this topic but anyhow...

I make jewellery in my spare time. Anyhow, the other day I got on to thinking about doing a range of jewellery inspred by poi, staff, fire etc. The only trouble is, I've hit a bit of a blank.

I can't think of any ideas. I made a pair of drop earrings that kinda look like poi and have been sketching ideas for flame shaped badges but that's about all I could come up with. I also thought about staff shaped peircings for eyebrows etc but this would take a lot of messing about to get threads right etc.

Any suggestions as to what I could make? I work in silver, semi precious stones and occasionally copper and brass.

Also if anyone had a good basic "flame" outline that i could steal, that would be great.

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
What about using the shapes that fire/beaming poi make when they're photographed with a slow shutter speed? The patterns are really quite amazing, almost like celtic knots sometimes, and I can imagine them cut out in siver to make badges or pendants or something.

Practice as if your hair was on fire...

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Not a bad idea i must say.

In the same building as me is a contempory art jeweller.
This guy is amazing. he has shown me a mini drag style bycicle he made out of 18k gold. Diamonds and australian opals. Perhaps i could have him make me some custom stuff. i will post pictures if i do.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Chains are much more exciting for me.. Do you cast your silver or are you just doing simple metal working type work?

I'd say some silver with the right patina and a ruby or something similar for firepoi or staff would be great stuff, especially for a pendant something along those lines.

You have any examples of your work? I'm just curious now, I do jewelry but its all chains

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I like to use sterling silver wirework for an organic look... look up some wirework techniques to seee if you can get a flowy/flame effect you like smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Liking the ideas, thanks guys. biggrin

I usually work on beaded stuff and wire wrapping but I'm starting to experiment more on silver. I've got this stuff called silver clay which is like clay but when you fire it it turns in to silver, thought that could be quite easy to use, also been looking in to casting for a while now, just need to get all the kit sorted for it.

Unfortunately I don't have any examples of stuff I've done. It only occured to me the other day I should have been photographing the stuff I've been making. I'm going down to England soon to get use of a proper workshop and equipment so if i come up with anything good I'll fire some images up.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
how bout doing the HOP symbol (the one on the adress bar)

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
How about a necklace\lighter, that way you would always have fire and conquer the age old fire performers problem (klepto lighter bandits). If it was stylish, maybe celtic or tribal you would have a happy customer here.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Are you thinking kind of a pendant type thing that would hold a typical disposable lighter like you get covers for lighters? Or were you thinking more of the lighter actually being built in to it somehow?

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Hye Katarina! Are you going to Uberpoi? I would love to meet you...

I am a jeweller in Canada, working in silver gold and gems, plus a whole lot of weird stuff... I have made a lighter pendant case befre, it is just a container for the lighter basically, that a disposable lighter slides in to, with a hinged lid( or some kind of lid) Use the mini lighters, cause other wise it gets really big! Then figure out how you would like to sling it on a chain. A book that outlines great ideas for making this kind of thing is Tim Mcreight's, I think it is just called Metal Boxes and Lockets, or something like that. Lots of ideas, and concrete techniques.

I have done some poi and fire designs in metal using the fire and the patterns from photos of a friend. Stones, or enamel, for colour where you want it. You can also incorporate fire images etched into copper( use ferric chloride) or photos, set under plexi,the sky is the limit! I have also made a silver and gemstone Kaleidoscope based on the image of fire. it was fun!

I would be happy to get together and talk jewellery and show designs when in Scotland!
smiles,
Andrea

wherever you go, there you are

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Hey Andrea

You sound really good. I only really play about with this sort of thing in my spare time. My mum's a jeweller and I've really just picked bits up from her.

Unfortuanately I'm not at Uberpoi (gutted) I have to go down to England. How long are you in Edinburgh for as I'll be back up on the monday?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
For smaller pendants, how about a smaller box or tube-style design meant to hold a few matches?

I'm trying to start learning how to use precious metal clay too... are you going to torch or kiln fire it? (I have a small kiln, but old and not thermostat regulated... wanna trade tips after we've tried the stuff out?)

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
I'm going to be torching it (not lucky enough to have a kiln) I'm really just playing around at the minute. I seem to be lacking the artistic side needed for this sort of thing.

Would love to swap tips/ideas though once we've both had a play. Don't suppose you're uberpoi-ing are you?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
'fraid not frown

I'm going to to torch the stuff to start with too, though, 'cos even with the kiln I'm going to need to judge it by eye- potential for disaster!!

I'll bet you're not lacking the artistic side, just not used to the material... there's lot's of 'starter projects' online that I might try out first for the same reason.

Would love to swap pics of our wirework, too, if you've got any smile
Bovril does some gorgeous chainmaille-based work at the moment.

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately I never thought to take any photos of stuff I've done. I'm *hopefully* having a play with the silver clay this week so by monday may have some rough peices and at least a better idea of how it works. Would be good to discuss ideas and techniques at some point though. Would also be interested in seeing pics of stuff you've done if you have any though.

Oh and Andrea, it would appear I am able to make it to Uberpoi after all so would love to meet up with you and chat jewellery stuff (though yet again I'll stress Im only just starting out at this)ubbrollsmile

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Hi guys...

you can sometimes get an external pyrometer device for a kiln that has been made without one, worth checking...

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you at Uberpoi!

Beginners minds are the best approach to everything!
Enjoy playing witht the clay...
smiles, Andrea

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Well i've had a play around with the silver clay. Main things I've learnt...

If you add silver findings be very careful as they will heat a lot quicker and melt before the clay is up to temperature. This then led to me having to add more silver clay after it was fired to make a new bail. I don't know what I did wrong but it didn't work well at all. The silver clay added for the second firing almost seperated completely from the original and I ended up having to add glue around the bail to hold it in place as it was only held to the original by a tiny bit.

I'll post up a pic of what I made when my computer behaves itself and lets me upload it.

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
yay piccies ubbrollsmile

[been following your progress, seems exciting~! smile]

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
ok, is it my computer being stupid or everyone's?

I was sure I edited my last post last night and added in the pic. Can anyone see the pic or am I right in thinking it's not updated?

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
no.. i can't see any piccies yet...

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
ok, my computer obviously was silly. I wasn't brave enough to make a setting out of the silver clay for the peice of goldstone on my first attempt so I just glued it on the back. But this is what I came up with...

Non-Https Image Link

(let me know if the picture doesn't work)

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Lovely Katarina!
It is great to be able to see the idea. Good idea to place with poi so we can see size too...

When we meet, I can teach you a little about soldering if you want, much better way to attach the bail, glue does not hold for too long. In the meantime, what about riveting instead of glue?( not for the stone tho, obviously! ) Silver soldering is easy to do, and you dont need fancy equipment, a plumbers propane torch will do in a pinch.

Sounds like you just need to keep playing with the clay until you get the relationship between time, thickness and temperature down pat. Have fun! I wish I had some, only got to use it once, and really like all the potential for textures...

I will try to figure out how to attach a pic tomorrow so I can show you some of what I do!
smiles,
Andrea

Soundworksnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
biggrin If you make it, I'll buy it.

My idea would be some sort of guy (like the one in the home of poi symbol), with his arms out, and circles around them and above them and below them.
Sorta like... this.
https://www.thevenue.org/fire_image_gallery/pic1.2.htm
biggrin

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
is that your image? ie, would it be ok to steal it? Because that's really pretty

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Kattrina, that image is my friend Nick. He is here visiting right now so I can ask him if you can use it, I am pretty sure he would be happy! He will be coming to Uberpoi etc with me, so maybe he can even see what you do!
Andrea
PS no pics, yet, have not had time to sort out my computer...
smiles,
Andrea