Forums > Introductions > "I can resist anything except temptation" Oscar( no, not The Grouch!)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Since I posted my first post today, I just thought I should introduce myself instead of lurking silently , smiling affectionately in the corners of HoP...
wave

My usual name is Andrea, though I am sometimes called Rowan by those who know me well... other names at other times and places...

I live on a gorgeous little island on the west coast of Canada, surrounded by beauty and more than a little adventure...
I attract the bizarre, though i dont feel all that bizarre myself. Nick once described me as female flypaper for crazy people and I guess I would have to say that is true! But most of them ( the crazy people ) are friendly! One friend says I should warn people not to go out in the woods with me late at night- the risk of alien abduction occurring is apparently gazillions of percentages higher !eek:

But I am sure the aliens are friendly too , so no worries. ;-)

I got into Poi a few years ago when I was walking a downtown eastside alley in Vancouver and started seeing all these brilliant tracers down the end of it. Thought man, good drugs, then realized I hadn't taken any...Yikes! It was Nick filming for one of the COl vids... We met, but lost track of each other shortly thereafter. It took me another year for my life to settle , and we found
each other again and began some poiing together here on the island.

biggrin biggrin

I was doing some Shamanistic studies at the time, working with the element of fire. So I spent a year on that element, dealing with all aspects of it, and to a degree learning to play with my fears.

The aspect of poi that appeals to me most is the challenge of perfecting three dimensional mandela images all around oneself... It feels amazing as you bring them towards symetry and harmony!I find it meditational, to run the energy as well as spin.

Then there is the funny side, spinning these silly toys around, more often then not bonking myself in the head, tangled in some kind of insane bondage rituals, and fighting off the kids who want to play with my adorable fuzzy penguin poi...
ubblol

ubblove
I also love to dance poi, really be free and just dance, but most often save that for the private moments deep in the forest or alone at the beach,( one notable exception being a christmas naked fire spin with MK beside the hot tub!redface)

In general I am quite shy, and take a while learning new moves(eternal thanks to those of you who have had the patience to teach me!) Unfortunately, I find much of what you masterful Poi beings write to describe moves to be unintelligable, so you just have to show me. Again, and again
wink wink

I am many things, and none.Finding and inventing myself a-new right now after some recent disorienting life experiences. At least it's not dull! Have at various points been a herbalist,healer, dancer, a kaleidoscope designer, a jeweller , a gardener, and a translator... Lately started getting involved in relief work in Thailand. No idea what is next!
ubbidea
ubbrollsmile

Things that make me happy- chocolate( dark only please, ) tango, purpleness, kisses, cuddles, whips, cats, feather boas , secret penguin conspiracies, stories of all kinds, smiles, plants and people. I love the poetry of Mary Oliver( read Flare, seriously, go read it now!) , Rumi, Rilke and Hafiz. I enjoy writing ; stories of my silly adventures, poetry, and assorted nonsense. I am currently working on a book of erotic crossword puzzles...

Movies, I love the English Patient, Strictly Ballroom,Like Water for Chocolate- I am sure there are others but I blank on them right now.! Sorry!

My favorite author is Jeannette Winterson( the Power Book is amazing!!!) , followed closely by Charles De Lint. I am a voracious reader and love discussing and/or debating pretty much everything!

People that have inspired me, too many,cant name them all!But must mention Nick, Oud, Vinod, Joe, Peter, MK, Andy, Zamir,Paul and many other delightful travellers that have spent time on my couch or in my web... I am honoured to know people with such inner beauty and more than a little talent!
hug

ubbidea

I invite you all to come for a visit, spin some poi( please teach me! ) and join in the fun of this beautiful place. My world is simply magical: musicians, dancers, artists, healers, philosophers, clowns, mathematicians and mystics. You would be welcome.

Thanks for the amazing site , and I look forward to meeting those I have not yet met, kisses and hellos to those I have!
be in touch,
love and light
Andrea

wherever you go, there you are

Huiamember
61 posts

Posted:
Kia ora from Aotearoa, New Zealand. Hows life in Canada..things here are very crooooozie, oozing with the natural throb of life...
Peace, eek
Huia.
Mauao twirlers fire group
Aotearoa.

Loving your life...loving your planet...loving yourself.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hellos!

lovely to meet you and welcome to Hop

hug

Getting to the other side smile

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Woah!!! Now THAT's an intro, I'm impressed! biggrin

Welcome to HoP!!

wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
smile smile
Thanks for the welcome you guys!
Good to meet you...

**Bird, would you happen to be crazy by any chance? :-)
Glad you enjoyed my intro!
ubblol
smiles,
Andrea

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
wave hello and welcome!
meditate
x

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Crazy?? Me??

Of course I am!! Isn't everyone??

wink

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Lilunemember
27 posts

Posted:
hey wow, ive never met another Rowan before smile dyu get the same grief as me, the 'isn't that usually a boys name?' and the old original 'row row row your boat' .....?!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hello wave

Nice intro!!

So you like the colour purple (well you said purpleness)? Do you like pink aswell?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
That's one wicked intro!

wavehello welcome

My mates Mom is called Rowan too smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
y0! Congratulations, because I anti-hate you!! heart heart heart

I think that might be the longest into post I've ever seen.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
That's a wonderful intro post Andrea! Love your efforts in Thailand and appreciate you sharing the happenings (from the other post, Oud etc.) Warmest welcome to ya wave smile

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Hi ya!
Pink- uhhmn. How to put this delicately... Uhmn. Sorry, no. Kinda hate it a bit.
redface But it is close to purple, and if ya squint, maybe... well, as long as no one makes me wear it! In fact, I have a few items of PINK things I would be happy to give you...
ubbrollsmile

Lilune- Yeah, got the boy name thing a bit. But most who know me by that name think of the tree first...
smile smile

Sparkey-Sorry for being the longest intro on record! Yikes! I Have to much time to think right now. And type. Must break free of computer
ubbloco

Bird- You are right! everyone is crazy! Now why didn't I realize that
* wanders off, smiling, liberated from her futile search for the sane...*
ubblol

hugs to you all
hug

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
hello wave

i just noticed your (excellent! smile ) intro, though id pop in and say hello smile

i wish you well in your search for the sane, in the meantime, i hope you enjoy the un-sane peace hug

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yes indeed hello and welcome. Your post on Thailand was a great way to introduce yourself!

Lots of time on the computer eh?!?! Too much!!! Oh dear, then abandon HoP immediately!!!!!!!! SO addictive, making new friends and following chats and controversies. I sometimes dip into the technical threads but like you I find any talk of antispin floral arrangements with hyperwrap double head jobs quite unintelligible. I am proably a crap spinner in any case, and a terribly slow learner, but I like it !!! I hope to do some travelling again int he next year or so.. maybe see you on your beautiful island!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hiya Andrea, yes we have met, I've been to your house, for one of Nicks retreats, back in the summer of 2003. I was the guy with that skanky blue van, the guy that painted hats for a living. ( the van is gone now, after 11 years of service, replaced by a shiny new red one, but it's still owned by firespinners )

whips, purpleness, feather boas?? do tell wink

We host a meet in Beacon Hill park every Sunday night ,,,feel free to drop by, it's everyone welcome. or send me a pm if you want to get together for a spin. I don't have alot of time this time of year, being tourist season and all but you can usually find me spinning in Bastion Square Wednesdays through Sundays,,,,most of the day.

edited to say " check us out on the web
EDITED_BY: stout (1116682471)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
And me, I'm 52 (and rising!)

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
David!
wave I remember you! Fabulous to meet again...So glad the spinning goes well... I barely recall a skanky Van? Hmmn. How could I have missed that? I will definately find my way to a Beacon hill fire jam in the near future, as I think I am dating someone from there( Vic) . Well, not just think, I am !! but not sure if I will continue... ( as I am supposed to be marrying someone else in the near future;-)) eek
That means most of the whip stuff will be kept private for just now, suffice to say I like the leather...ubbloco

Boas however, I will enjoy with anyone! If fact, I shall wear one when next we meet ( I will keep a spare in the car just in case the occasion arises...) N will likely do a workshop here this summer, wanna join us? I'd love to see how you have improved . I am starting fire and drum jams here next month too! Wicked.biggrin biggrin

Newgabe, thanks again. Sounds like Thailand is also close to your heart? Do you go often? I am doing a presentation and discussion around the work going on there, and fundraising and development issues, tonight. Quite nervous actually,, wondering if anyone will come, or if too many and it will be a zoo! I am also feeling mixed up about even talking about some of the expereinces, since they are pretty intense, and my heart still hurts.

Here, it is easy to sort of take a break by being detached, but if I get into it I will have to feel it, and not sure I want to do that right now. I think I underestimated the effect that trip would have on me personally! It was full of golden moments, but on an energetic level very complicated some days.
confused

Yeah, I might just have to leave Hop and break the deal before addiction sets in... Right now circumstances have me with time on my hand and feeling a little crazy with physical limitations, but normally I am never still long enough to be with my computer!

Talk more later, happiness to you!
hug
here's to the happenning old folks!
wave

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, Stout, yes, I do speak Thai...
smile smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Andrea.. I have only been to Thailand briefly and some time ago. But my son (Dave..*Knoxious*) and his mate (DImitri...*Fluid Druid*) go there a lot and know Oud well. Di went contact juggling on a Thai TV talent quest a few years ago.. as did some of Oud's Bangkok street kids... and they won! Bulk baht!!! Proving the value of training the kids to have another way to earn their living rather than the nasties that would usually be their only option. Di has been back to Kho Phi Phi this year to help clean up. ANd another freind of mine is involved setting up kindergarten and mosque and loos and other essentials in her husbands village in Aceh, so I have been following a few close to home stories about reconstruction...

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Wow! I am so in love with your sons mate!(Dimitri sp?)
ubblove

I met him( for around five seconds,well, okay a day or so) he was begging to be kidnapped so he could miss his flight, and I almost, almost, did! It really is a small world. I met him through Oud too, and another pal there, Jo. Great guys. I think I heard about the contact juggling thing from one of them too! Cool.

Strange to get on a site this huge and find so many connections. Some kind of semi-conscious synchronicity I guess.
confused

I was so warmed by all the work people were doing to help. It was very beautiful! Lots of hard work going on, with the best of motivations. Compassion in action!
hug

Do you spin with you son? Does he perform with Flame Oz too? That must be so much fun!

hope you are having a brilliant day! I am all set for my presentation tonight, so feeling more ready. A very cool belly dancer I want to work with says she will be coming tonight too, so maybe after we can shake things up with some serious tribal dance!
ubbloco
You mentionned Hop addiction... Does the abnormal fascination for the little moving emoticons Graemlins pass? I am hoping its just a stage...ubblol
smiles,
Andrea

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hey, welcome to hop! hug how did your presentation go? i have to agree with the whole, 'best intro' statement, it was really nice to read a post like that biggrin
have a good night!

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Sorry, Andrea, once the gremlins have got you, there's no way back!!!

Not surprised you're in lurve with Di!!! WHo isn't!!! Move over baby!!!!! Di is my adopta son... stays here in the summer and we hope he can make Australia his home in the next few years. Yeah, my boy Dave is a great spinner, also in FlameOz.
www.flameoz.com has some piccies.. nice ones of Di too!

He's the tall one, often with red spikey hair.... they are somewhere crazy at the moment (Slovakia? Slovenia?) We just decided last night that my 14 year old daughter will go meet them in Ibiza in a few weeks so we're all a bit ubblol ubbloco clap bounce biggrin bounce2 at the moment!!!

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Hi LiquidBg! Nice to meet you, and thanks for the compliment about the intro...The presentation went well, small group but interesting people. It was emotional, but felt good to talk about it all with people who cared. Not as much progress on future development plans as I had hoped to start, but maybe that is just gestating right now... I am glad it is done.

I am off to the ferries to pick up a friend, Yipee! He is here for a few days, and tomorrow one of my favorite bands is playing, so much excitement and dancing ...

Oh, New Gabe, I am so jealous of the time you have with D! Can I come stay too? I will go to the site( drool) and get a visual on your son too... Trip to Ibiza sounds fantastic!
Good night, and pleasant dreams to all
( note : none of the little gremlins snuck in this time! Quick, I must escape...)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
So tricky when your intro isn't attached to your nick! tongue

Soo mm.. Wednesday afternoon- today's a public holiday in Brisbane thanks to the Ekka, which is this big funfair event- rides, showbags, farm animals, lots of people dressed like ranchhands, and a cold bug which everyone who goes seems to catch..

Still. I bet they haven't got painted deer! ubblol

Trust this afternoon finds you well! hug

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
RY! You found my thread! I forgot I even had it. Cool. I just posted in yours though, so not a lot to say right now.

This is Tuesday evening here, and I am a bit worn around the edges. Fraying...

Fun fair would be good.Hope you have a blast!!!

Fall fair coming up here, hokey but fun. I may enter a pumpkin in the contest, one of mine is quite huge and lovely. Apparently deer dont like the taste of pumpkin. Or maybe its size and violent orange colour is simply too intimidating?

Did I give you the word inchoate for your new list yet? And nefarious, I actually heard that word used by three different people, three different times today! Odd.

I wish my brain came with an off button.

hugs to you, thanks for finding me...
xoxo
a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
mm..! I did notice the long lovely sex-in-the-salt-spring-city update post ubbangel in mine.. thought I'd try to return the favour.. Gets a bit tricky when you're got an alter ego duplex personality ubblol

Didn't plan to go to the Ekka.. it was a bit too hectic for my own liking. And there weren't any crazy look-that-person-is-spinning-a-sock-with-a-ball-in-it types to go with. shrug

So yes.. Wednesday afternoon here. Ended up doing a 20 minute before store shuts grocery dash, and managed to do a good $85 bill. About half a leisurely session.. not bad given the time constraints..

Pumpkin eh? *pictures you*:

Non-Https Image Link

wink

Inchoate.. yup... think you gave it to me. Still haven't ever used it spontaneously though.. it's one of those words I'm afraid to accidentally use wrongly and come off sounding like a snotty twat.. ubblol *checks to confirm definition*

Hey how do you like 'incipient'?

hug hug2 hug

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
incipient scares me.Like the sound, but it is so ominous in its implications...

go on, sound like a snotty twat. I dare ya.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Ry darlin', I am putting together a bunch of words for the reconstitution of the lost list... Tune in to this here page tomorrow !

ubblove SOSS update...

Was supposed to go see a friend play guitar at the local cafe, and meet guy there. No, not a new man, an old one wink Got into town, stepped out of the car, and bam! ran into *current* country Boyfriend, (who I am confused about as per last missive, and is definately not a committed anything er, yet) He and I: smiles, chemistry, connection,-- me, panick,-- he is also going to meet the same friends ( this island is soooo small!!)He and I did not expect to see each other. Happy to see him, but confused. I suddennly get attacked by rampant insecurity and overwhelmed by his extreme gorgeousness, and do the sensible thing-- which is run away!

Eep!eek

Saying I will be back in 15 mins, after I have collected another pal from his place down the street. Get to the other friends place, who is getting riotously plastered all by his lonesome on his beach. Can't have that! ubblol So I start drinking a little with him, and one things lead to another, and the next thing you know it is the middle of the night, and my friend and I are having a hilarious wasted slightly x rated crazy ride in a random shopping cart around the back alleys...redface

Totally forgot to go back to the cafe until it was well closed and everyone gone. Oops.

OMG I am so hung over, laughing my head off, wondering how I can possibily explain to everyone that I was supposed to meet!

Hmmn, that reads as a confusing communication. Maybe I am still drunk. Use your imagination to fill in the gaps, hey?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Trouble with me Ry, is , instead of being single, I am sort of multiple.eek

No, not multiple personality, multiple relationships! After, years of marriage and monogomy, I seem to have gone stark raving man mad.

You'd think that would be fun, but I dont really enjoy it.It is confusing. confused2 Nothing stagnant in my life, opposite problem in fact- dizzy with all the motion, constant change. I think that is why I am tired.

I need to ground myself. In so many ways.Working on it, but not easy to decide how and where and what and who to include in the process!

Relationships, well, sit down with some hot chocolate, heres the "Sex on Salt Spring "Update:devil

As you know, I have one gorgeous guy, who lives here, the country music one, who is my sometimes lover and ??? something undefined, but not a committed relationship whatever it is. We are different, like alien species. A complicated interaction , unpredicatable, sort of day by day. But we seem to bring each other a lot of joy together, regardless. kiss I smile just thinking of him.He is lovely.

Still, nothing likely long term of it, if I am smart.Hard to resist though! Yet,he is not the right life partner for me. So, I am still dating others --as that opportunity manifests, which it seems to be doing a lot lately. Summer heat I guess. Multiples...

And a part of my heart heart is still in the UK and never came back to me after this last trip. But that is a different story.

Chapter Two:

There was this DJ peace that everyone was raving about, telling me I have to meet, etc etc.I have heard about him from friends in the electronic music world for ages.He is always described as shaman, with music as the healing force... People use words about him and what he does , like: clear, powerful, solid, integral, flow... very intriguing. So I heard he was here for an event, and I just said fine, go ahead, tell him to call me( thinking no one would actually just do that out of the blue, call some woman they have never seen or spoken too!)footinmouth

And well, yup, of course, he did. I almost dropped the phone in shock.wow Regained composure( sorta) Saw him that night. Strong connection for me, left me feeling shaky and thoughtful all day. Magical: him, the swim ,the night, everything. It kind of paniked me really. I dove into the ocean nakedredface , in the darkness,and it was like the water exploded into universes around me, stars and sparkles streaming on my skin. Astounding. Not like the tiny glows I have seen from phosporensce in the past- fireworks! Spectacular sensation. He said I looked like a mythical cross between an angel and a mermaid. angelblue

It was exhilarating, laughter and joy echoing all around the bay.ubblol

He is a man I could see myself with , long term, like forever, lifetimes... ubblove ubblove I would so love to even just find out. Curious. Only just met, but that is not at all how it feels. Dumb hey. I must be crazy.ubbloco It is probably nothing.Imagination.

Tomorrow, we are going horse back riding- horse is one of his totem animals- then for morrocan dinner at mutual friends, then kayaking at night to see the phosphoresence again...ubbrollsmile Sigh.

The End:

Then, he leaves !!!!bye early Thursday morning. Knowing my life ,I will never see or hear from him again. He said last night how ironic it was, to finally, after so long, meet someone he feels strongly for, just as he leaves...

ditto It could have been my observation- minus the irony- cause for me, that is sort of the state of my life the last few years. Everything in transition.

Dizzy.

Can this be real?Ridiculous. I am an idiot.ooooops

Apologies for the sappiness people, I am in strange head space. Why should this experience make me sad?Cause it is hopeless? Should I even go out with him tomorrow? What am I doing?!

Please share the story of your hellish stagnancy to make me feel better! Maybe make you feel better?grouphug

Can I shake it up some for you, rock the boat? Turn things upside down and see who falls out? I am good at that sort of mischeif ya know!

Pass some chocolate, people!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
*hands over the Green and Blacks* There you go hun.

hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Page: