Forums > Social Chat > Revision - any tips please?

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
*I've searched!*

I'm the sort of person who usually just blags exams, but at the end of my second year of uni I realise I actually need to revise for the first time ever.

First of all, sorry for being so jammy.

But secondly, what do I do? I've only got about a week and I'm not really sure where to begin. Any quick-fix ideas will be greatly appreciated. Cramming is going to happen of course, but other than that I'm not really sure what I should be doing.

It's a closed-text english exam, by the way, which is possibly the most unrealistic test I'll ever have to face. When will I ever need to remember this much shite without the possibility of looking it up? Never, I tells ya!

Anyways.. help! Please smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
whats closed-text english? redface lol, sorry

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
An english exam where you don't get to take the books in with you.. which is a bit of a pain in the bum!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
get all the quotes you need, and put them up around the place, in bright colours, eat sleep dream and even spin the things you need, if only metophorically speaking......
its working with maths, so its bound to work with english!
good luck with it!

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Cheers! Good luck with the maths! smile

Thoreau

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
oh im sorry i cant help frown

but i can give you a hug hug biggrin

maybe try and split what you need to know into different areas, and just go through them in steps..... sowwy frown

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Make sure you get some sleep and try to avoid junk food... fruit and the like will give you more energy to stick at it.

But other than that... just get stuck in... worrying about getting tips is only putting off the inevitable (which I was really good at too).

Once you start, you'll realise yourself what you have to do.

Getting to the other side smile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips smile I do get the feeling I'm experiencing some kind of procrastination here, so I'm off to hit the books.

Thoreau

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
yea tip number one - get off the computer - in fact get out of the room with the computer in :P

- i probably should do the same n start writing up note sheets for maths - ah well it'll happen - some day....

back

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
my theoryat the moment is if i dont know it by now i'll never know it hence im not doing any revision ... but i suppose thats not really a good tip

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Structure your revision. Set definite targets, and try not to mix topics too much in the same session if possible. Say 2hrs on a given topic

endless writing out of the things you need to know is the best way to memorise things.

Also, set out your revision area the same as you will in be in the exam, including mascot/whatever. This helps memory by association. I had a small bookmark I fiddled with while revising. When I got stuck, I would fiddle with the book mark and it would help me remember stuff (NOT guaranteed to work over a short period of time)

make basic notes on the essentials, then make another set of notes in more detail on those notes, so you have a basic and detailed outline of what you need to kno

Revise somewhere quiet with no music or other distractions. Take a break when you need to, but avoid computers or TV: they destroy your concentration and memory. Go outside for a break.

Make sure you have plenty to eat and drink

get a good night's sleep before the exam (VERY IMPORTANT)

Take in water with you (if you've been drinking water while revising this could help with the associative thing)

I have something high in caffeine (like red bull) before going into an exam, as I feel it helps me write quicker, but this is personal preference, and if you're not used to caffeine, can make things worse by stressing you out/panicing/jittering (although water can help balance this out)

make sure you have a couple of pages of notes you can scan through before goin into the exam, and write all the really important stuff on a sheet of scrap paper as soon as you're allowed to write in the exam, if you're worried you won't remember it later.

make sure you structure your use of time for each question, so that you give each question equal time: it's no good doing one really well and three badly! or three good and missing the final one cos you run out of time!

DON'T PANIC!

good luck, hope that helps!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
aim to be in a similar state when you're revising as to when you'll be writing: your physiological state is a powerful cue to memory

use mind-maps (or spider diagrams, or whatever you want to call them). you remember things placed at different angles around a core better than you remember things on a list.

eat and sleep properly. this is really important . . .

um, take breaks, don't over-revise.

for quotes, try memorising them as you walk around, brush yr teeth in the morning, etc. then try to learn a list [or a mind-map or something] of the first couple of words of each quotation: that gives you a cue for each one. so you recall the cues, and the cues allow you to recall the quotes.

oh yeah, and take sweets into the exam. you need to keep your blood sugar up.

ture na sig

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! This is all great stuff biggrin

Thoreau

flamazinejourneyman
91 posts

Posted:
I agree with lazyangel. Keep writing out the quotes you are most likely to use. Do them in different colours too, and write them on your mirror and your shopping list and tins of food and your dogs lead and your poi etc etc etc.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ubblol revision poi: where the notes are written on the tails and go by your face really quickly and repetitively so you learn subconsciously!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I find revision is all about frame of mind. However much I want to learn stuff, if i'm not interested in it personally or I can't see a real world application of what I'm learning, I find it very hard.

Have a good think about why you're taking the exams. If you still can't answer the question or you don't really want to do the degree you're on, it's probably a good idea to find a different one. If you're doing the exams cause you *really* want the degree and *really* don't want to get kicked out, that'll put you in a muh better frame of mind to revise. It's amazing what good it can do you to be threatened with the fact that you may have to leave and get a real job.

I also find that complete silence and no distractions help. My university library was really nice to work in most of the year, but in the exam period it would fill with students who'd never been there before, in big revision groups, who just wanted to chat and do as little work as possible. Moving to a different area helped a bit, by leaving the science part and going to a section where the people were more used to doing work. The other huge difference that I made to my degree was having a laptop. Working outside with loads of bits of paper isn't really feasible, but with a laptop I could go anywhere and revise. Long train journeys were particularly good for it.

Take breaks every few hours, and aim to do a realistic amount. If you arn't the kind of person who works for 12 horus straight normally, don't even attempt 6 per day. You'll only get frustrated and it'll be counter-productive.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Cheers for that flid, I have a laptop (which I have to use for revision) and if I get it outside I can't use the internet, so that sounds like a beautiful plan. I do want to do well in this exam, I'm into the texts I'm studying. I just need to remember that sometimes wink

Thoreau

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
for me, i allways revised to music, i think i think far better with music on, i dont listen to the music its just there and is a constant loud and predictible noise that means i dont get distracted by random bird noise and other unpredictible real world noise.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
protein is "brain food" so if you eat fish a couple days while you're working, it might help the material stick in there. and try to have some protein for breakfast the day of the exam. and yes to hydration!

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks, unfortunately I'm veggie so I'm pretty lacking in protein a lot of the time.. I shall attend to it smile Thanks for the tips! Keep'em coming, I still ahve 4 days of this revision misery! wink

Thoreau

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
soy protein (seitan is my fave), legumes, nuts, eggs (if you're ovo-lacto). Also, broccoli is about the world's perfect food. Don't think it's great in protein, but it's got vitamin C, iron, and it counts as a "leafy green veg." Keeping all of your nutrients in balance will help you focus and do better with the great tips people are giving. (see how that's not completely offtopic)

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
he he, nicely brought back at the end there wink Thanks! biggrin

Thoreau

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
if your doing a mathsy subject make sure you learn the 'root' forumla and such first. if all else fails you can sit down and figure out the rest

make a crib sheet of the most important main points (say 5 or 6 per topic) and read it a few times before bed

try coming up with rhymes abreviations and such to remember facts etc
eg for a series of forumla to do with electricity my teacher gave us this
Very Impotent Roger (voltage = current X resistance)
Penis Vertually Imobile (power = Voltage X Current) .... and so on - first letter of each word was the letter for the equation - this works for dates as well.

the morning before i find it best to arrive at least 1/2 hour early and talk to other people - not massive cramming but its useful just to go through a few questions with others so all of you cement the facts.

although you should follow a timetable if you can. if you cant hack it LEAVE IT - if you force yourself you wont pick it up and you wont want to go back to it - so go take a 20 min break (spin or somthing to relax) then go back to it and try again

anyway all the best and dont panic hug hug hug hug to all those out there with exams and even those lucky enough not to
good luck biggrin smile

back