Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Really bad timing - just as falmouth is coming up, but I seem to have lost all interest in poi frown

Contact Juggling - I can pick up and play with any time. Finding it very slow progress at the moment but still enjoying it.

Double Staffs - ubblove

But poi confused Maybe it's because I've been doing it for longer than anything else. Maybe it's because I haven't learnt anything new for a while. But it just bores me now.
There are moves out there I could learn, but frankly can't see the point. There are moves out there that I just can't seem to learn. There's nothing really inspiring me to spin or learn poi anymore (Apart from some nice wibbles off Mr Chutney recently - thanks smile )

I used to get home from work and instantly pick up poi and spin in my room and learn stuff - but recently, meh. Nothing. No inclination to pick up the ol' socks at all.

Anyone else have this?
Words of advice?
Chocolate muffins?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Maybe you'll regain your inspiration at Falmouth, maybe this was the perfect timing!

anyway, hug just in case you don't!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
double staffs ubblove

Put those socks back on your feet durbs.

[Old link]

Love is the law.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
on the one hand... frown

on the other hand, if you're not feelin it, you're not feelin it. there's no point in forcing it. i think that everyone in their creative life eventually hits a point where they have nothing more to say in a particular mode. when that happens, it's best to let it go and explore what does interest you even if you feel sad about it or feel like everything you've done up till that point was all in vain.

so i say don't worry about not being interested in poi anymore. explore what does interest you, go deeper into the contact juggling (i really like your vids by the way wink ), go deeper into double staff, and i wouldn't be surprised if at some point you'll be inspired with poi again.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dude, that happens to me all the time.

Play with what you want.

I spent all winter laying track for a model railroad in my living room. biggrin

If you're LOOKING for a different direction in poi, I'm having a great time chatting with the kids at glowsticking.com It's very different than the poi we're used to.

Gotta go home and sand my loading dock. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Gasp..Durbs...bored with Poi?!
Dont worry, it happens to all of us - you've just got burnout or a "drought" as some people call it.
A drought is wheer yopu have no inspiration, no motivation or desire to do poi/staff/juggling/whatever.
It will pass...perhaps Falmouth will get you motivated...hope so!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Bored of poi?? NOW is the perfect time for that piece of advice so frequently and erroreously given to newbies.

Put on some music and dance !!!

No, seriously, this is a great time to get out of the coming home from work and practicing in my room routine. Sounds like maybe a change might help with your motivation. Try spinning in a public area, barefoot on the grass, take up a twenty by twenty foot area when you spin, walk around with your poi. Don't be a weather wimp.

Hope it helps.......

Stainless MunchkinMaster of the Munchkins
246 posts

Posted:
stoppoi for a short while, and then eventually you will think "wow, i havnt spun poi for a long time, actually i would really like to" the same happened to me and i spun my poi for the first time in ages just last weekend, the last time was in the summer, so about half a year smile it works

Are you that clever that you smile forever? biggrin

What's from the Earth is of the greatest worth

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Put on some music and dance ~ done
spinning in a public area ~ done
barefoot on the grasst ~ done
take up a twenty by twenty foot area when you spin ~ done
walk around with your poi ~ done
Don't be a weather wimp ~ Done, oh so many times smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
put your socks back on

honeslty, just give it a break, do whatever floats your boat

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wait til this weekend Durbs.

All you need is lots of eager people (for example, me) begging to be taught new things and obviously inspired by your creative genius biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Does this worry you Durbs?

You seem to be having a great time?

Why put undo pressure for one toy to please you if you're smiling anyway?

(Off to spraypaint the loading dock Gray or Grey. I haven't decided. wink )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Grey is more subtle biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
its not jsut creative things - everyone hits a point with something they enjoy that they get bored or something annoys
just leave it for a while then come back to it and try and go in a comepltely differnt direction with it :P
or maybe try combinging :P poi in one hand staff in the other :P

back

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
NYC wow, what gauge track have you gone for? ubblol

Durbs:Poi - Maybe you completed it, You know finished all the levels, killed the big boss gone back and found all the secret levels and easter eggs, replayed the whole thing as tails smile

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
it happens to me about every half year...
don't know why it happens, basically just don't see the point in it anymore.
don't know why the desire comes back. I guess it usually comes back when I meet new people who do poi. that way it gets a new social impulse. come to think of it. the 2 times I got bored was right after I just learned some "new" stuff that I thought to be "amazing" before. I also never really had the urge to show off in public, although I love performing. so I'm with ado-p here: hang up your socks, maybe at chrismas time they will be filled with desire again wink

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

NYC wow, what gauge track have you gone for? ubblol

N. 1/160.

It makes my apartment look bigger. biggrin

My goal is to be done by Christmas. I'll post pictures if I manage to finish. It's only a 2x4' shelf though.

In your quest to do all of my hobbies you'll be ditching swing and starting a layout in... let's say two years? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i seem to get that feeling frequently too. usually what pulls me out of it is being around other people who poi as well (but not the ones who are arrogant about it...the ones who love what they do but don't care how they look doing it). usually being with those type of people pulls me out of a rut. it's the same with everything i do. i love the community aspect of activities, because to me, everything i do is a way to connect, to share.

so my advice, if you've hit the point to where you're bored, then take a break. there's nothing wrong with that. but if you don't want to be bored with it, then hook up with some good friends who love to poi and don't care how they look doing it, and i'm guessing you might find a spark of motivation.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
travel smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
that happens when you havent learned anything new in a while it all seems repetive. frown but if you look hard enuf you will find a new move that will take you forever to learn and your intrest will be sparked again

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
What about starting something new, Like picking up a devilstick, or diabolo?

Ther's untold stuff you can do with a stick, I guarantee (if you got into it more than you have in the past) you'll stick with it for ages. *no pun intended*

In fact, bring your DS to falmouth. I'm sure me and DsAds can teach you a few things to make you thirst for more. Would be a turnaround of events, you learning and me teaching...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
What first inspired you to do poi? CJ? Juggling? Staff? Take a moment to think back, and see if you can't grasp that inspiration again...

Just a thought.

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
And I'll have one of your chocolate muffins... biggrin

Be Water My Friend.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I get bored with poi every so often too - sometimes for weeks or months. But I have always come back - so far at least! though I can't say I always will...

Once upon a time I lived to surf - you couldn't get me out of the water. I was like that for years and years.

Now it is an effort to ever get myself to do it, even when I am on a beach with real waves around.

Maybe if I went back to an area with regularly accessable waves, I might get into the habit of it again - dunno.

As the man in "big wednesday" says, "no one surfs forever!"

so then, perhaps no one pois forever?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
me too hun.. :hugs:

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
STIX! whoah. long time. hug

option 1.)"follow your bliss" don't worry about it. once i stopped for 9 months. even though it kills your tech, so does getting sick of it and burning out. take dance classes.
option 2.) discipline=doing it even when it isn't fun. get up off yer arse and do 1000 butterflies ya bum wink
option 3.) teach. often it keeps your enthusiasm alive... at least it keeps you practicing basics
option 4.) keep going maniacally because arashi never stops (disregard above;)) and you gotta show me up when we meet!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
"get up off yer arse and do 1000 butterflies ya bum"

tut tut, arashi - giving away the best secrets... wink

contact rocks Durbs, you'll be back tho.. smile

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
hug i totally know what you mean...ive been doing all the same moves recently and getting a lil bored of them. as i dont really see many spinners often i dont have anyone to inspire me. falmouth will help im sure. im sure it'll come for you lovely!

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Hey Arashi redface ubblove

I did have a little spin to a very good tune the other day - the sun was shining tho so that might have been the raisin wink

I did nothing but easy butterflys and stops.. none of this flibble-floobler uber tricks that just depress me when I see people doing them.. there for I'm not even going to try.. this ol' lady is focusing on the flow wink

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Poi? Man that's soooo last summer, go buy yourself a pair of diablo, now that's where's it's at wink

hhhahahahaha

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ubblol nice to find this thread man... even more shockingly i've had a bit of time off from everything lately. eek when i say time off i mean spinning only once a week or less which for me is unheard of. Think it might have something to do with over saturation and lack of being outside and the fact that i want a different set of practice poi which i've yet to sort myself out with... but the simple answer is that i've been stuck in my room or the library reading for and writing my dissertation for ages. frown

Its a bit crap but it means when i finally have the time to spin again i'm gonna so love it.. i've noticed that when i do pick my poi up i enjoy it more and hopefully the pause will help me break out of any nasty habits i might have been in before.... i just hope that after all the hard work the BJC this weekend doesn't scupper the last term of my degree.... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Page: