fizzlemember
15 posts

Posted:
im having trouble coming to terms with the fact that poi is becoming the real "in" thing to do with todays 15 year old generation, ok im not having a go at everyone that has started poi at the age of fifteen but a few people i know (no names will be mentioned) have started learning poi just because they think it will gain them more respect and more social status, i know it shouldnt be getting on my nerves because everyone should feel the greatness of poi, but its the fact that about a million people in my school have come in wearing pink dreadlocks, pierced faces and declaring their entrances to free parties!! They basically want to carry the image or a right royal little raver, and think that poi will help them along they way, give them month or two and they will have stopped and forgotten the whole craze

maybe im being a defensive bitch here! But if you could see these people making arses of themselves then you'd see my point!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
true..... but who are you to deny the probably 2% of that wannaberaver crowd, who take up poi and find they actually love it and it sticks with them for the rest of their lives?

A fad is a fad is a fad. They come and go. Next month it will be wearing ties, the month after that it will be having live snakes as pets again... and then you will be free of wannaberaverpoitwits ` stick it out!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
da curse of a good thing

sorry they get on ya nerves, just stick to ya art, and your love, and hardly anyone will touch ya anyway, babe.

let the lemmings feed, and stay real yourself, and don't you let them chase you off the fire-beacon hill.

out here, we're like totally pullin teeth sometimes finding the few who have found the toys and are drawn to em yet. wish we had your problems. and always forever everywhere, posing's a big deal at school, and it works all ways: some pose hard enough, learn it, feel it, become it, it's real, some go into the heart of poi without posing and enter the real temple, some it's the only time in their life they'll let themselves have the chance to play the flames. try 2 forgive them, and go tear up the flame yaself.

word.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Yeah I can relate to what your saying. I started spinning staves in the good old days playing gladiators with mates when we were only so high.

I was a about a year ago and some guy had a staff he was fire breathing with but couldnt spin. I asked for a spin and he was like "sure I" like to see drunk dudes burn themselves!" but I dissappointed him and impressed the 150 people at the party that night with some amature but never the less impressive spinning.

Since then almost every party have a spin at, I've had girls offering themselves to me regardless wether I already have a girl on my arm or not. Anyway enough boasting (believe it or not I am a one woman man) my friends have seen this happen over the last year and some of them have begged me to teach them to spin openly saying they want to learn simply so they could get laid easier. My reaction to this is if your spinning just to impress then you're going to be more willing to take risks and cause accidents.

They want the image simply for acceptance, which means for them it will be a passing phase, but its people like this who ruin it all for us true spinners because if they cause a public accident and ruin fire performances in that town its ok for them cause "it was just a passing phase" but for us it ruins a hobby which we love and is an important part of our life.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
ok, i should probably add to my last post.

My sister is a raver. My bro Sparx and i spin poi, and have been for a while (me, over a year, him 7 months now) When i was spinning in my back yard, whacking mice-elf everywhich way, and getting bruisers, she thought i was a total loser.

Then i span with glows. And Sparx started learning. The first time we actually got something good going and had a decent spin together, she came up to me the next day to ask how to spin. She thought it would be good at raves. And seeing as how it looked pretty, and stuff, she wanted to try.
Two days of whacking herself later, that idea was gone pretty quick!

Can you remember the first time you saw someone doing fwirling? glows or fire?? can you remember your first though? mine was "GOD that looks intense, i wish i was that coordinated." Im pretty sure Sparx's was, "hey, she can actually spin those things pretty good. Im sure i could do better...""

WHO CARES where the urge to spin comes from. The ultimate idea is, If you spin and you love it, it becomes a part of your soul! it becomes a way of life! it gets you a registration on HoP and strange posts like this

why be angry about them? chances are, they will get over their initual reason for spinning and grow to love it..... after all, we all have to start somewhere.... `

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Great sparkly poi... it seems as if this has all been discussed before...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Besides the obvious thrill of the spin and the buzz of literally playing with fire is that spinning is such an ice-breaker. Strangers come up and say hi and ask about what you are doing etc.

Last night dressed in Yukata walking around central London I received the same reaction. Its nice to see people let loose of their inhibitions and be friendly and interested in strangers, a welcome change to the usual blank robotic expressions I and the rest of the other mindless city drones wear 5 days out of 7 so that the bored uninterested expressions become engrained.

Poi is a craze now. So what. It will be deemed 'uncool' like glosticking and then those who really like poi can happily carry on while the trendies move on to the next big thing

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Why the hostility? This kind of attitude baffles me. Are we not all spinners just because we spin. It's a free art for anyone who wants to take it up. To anyone who wants to have a go, for whatever reason, I say welcome here do you want a go with my poi.

ONElove Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

RazzaMattazmember
9 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone. while i am new on this scene i am not some 15 yr old. i do agree that some people are "try to be" but some are actually "can and do be's" everyone should get atlest one chance. let them have their 5 minutes of fame. if they are really interested they wont make such a statement in the future. Just cool it out and enjoy what you do.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by fizzle:

maybe im being a defensive bitch here! But if you could see these people making arses of themselves then you'd see my point!

Ok, what do you suppose that some people thought about YOU when you first got into it? Give them some time...if they're worthy of respect, it will become self-evident. And if they're worthy of respect, they'll probably respect you...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SmallBoys Evil Twin Brothermember
55 posts

Posted:
I took up poi for a dare, got better at it coz of the women that spin/want somebody cute to teach them to spin, kept doing it coz I found fire, learned to love it coz of the peeps I met.

My reasons were selfish (some still are) but I do it and love it and my reasons have changed.

Do you feel the same hostility towards me?

Or are you just hacked off that someone else is stealing a tiny piece of your thunder?
It may be a fad.......but if you love it, then you'll ride thru it, and if you're good and you enjoy it then people will realise that your not just following trends.
If they don't then what does it matter???

I don't rebel against the system, I created it for the misery of others.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with the evil twin, it sounds more like your pissed off with the robbed 'status' of what your doing than anything else. I like a lot of peaple here tend not to do anything if loads of peaple are already doing it. This wont stop me 'discovering' something, but it will stop me 'persuing' a thing.

Suddenly as poi becomes fasionable it stops becomeing a subcultural thing and begins to be taken up by mass culture, its the sign of a sucessfull subculture, happens all the time.

The thing to remember in all of thease cases are the diffrence between 'Faces' and sheep. The Faces are doing it, were doing, will still do it. They define what is done and are followed by others, they inspire copying because of their regection of copying. This naturally gets anoying.

The Faces eventualy fade from famous and become just faces again, carrying thier diffrence on the inside. The sheep are doomed to die, wearing thier price tags on the outside.

Be smug if you have to, pity if you want, but I just smile and spin some more.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

fizzabellemember
2 posts

Posted:
just wanna say sorry for half the stuff i said i dont wanna sound like a munter, i suppose my points debatable but i am honestly sayin sorry for sounding like i dont like people that start poi, you need to know the people im chattin about i spose, again sorry!
no harm was meant im just a munter!

izzy

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
ya give this people a break. I was 15 when I started, and peeps thought that it was just gonna be a passing thing for me. Now I am in the midst of organizing Vancouver P.I.P. Give them a break and if they really are interested in learning the art, you will have some new disciples. Then we will slowly break them into our cult-ure

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
damn straight, fizzle! i started poi when i was 12, im now 14.
i used to be the only person who did poi, wich was kinda cool, but now its like, everyone wants to do it, which i HATE.
they think their so good, but its like, get over yourself! they only do it to get attention, not just for the pure beauty of it.
well thats my rant over!
cpg x x

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
You mean that I am doing something which is IN fashion???

I think I'm about to have a cardiac arrest...

*THUD*

Raph

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm kind of hoping that spinning will become a bit of a fad here, at least then I'll have someone to spin with without having to travel for about 2 hours to get into London. As nice as everyone in London is, it's a bit much to do every day

Even if only 5% of people who take up spinning as part of the fad end up taking spinning seriously, I'd say that's a good result - new blood is never a bad thing in my opinion.

What really, really annoys me is the people who pick up the poi purely to impress people and are naturally good, picking moves up really quickly, then never spinning again because it's not getting them enough attention.
That's partially because they pick up the moves faster than I did , but also because I see it as wasting their talent by not developing it.
I suppose there isn't really much I can do about it though, they either enjoy spinning, or they dont.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Like the evil twin and Nix why are you upset? Not meaning to sound mean but is it because you're no longer 'special' because you don't stand out of a crowd because the crowd all looks like you?

Poi is a craze to many, I teach quite a few people, but only a few are still spinning a couple of months later. It looks good, but many people give up after a while when they realise it's a bit more complex than waving around glowsticks in their hands I'm happy to teach teenage ravers or whomever because for some people they get inspired and that's why I teach.

A lot of people registered here swear they'll never stop spinning, but many will, you'll stop checking HoP every day, your poi will rest for days, weeks and months on end. Such is life and our hobbies, just some people have a longer attention span than others.

And Raph, don't worry, poi ain't in fashion in Paris. And rest assured, with that hair style you'll never be in fashion again

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
I dont get frustrated because other people are taking attention away from myself. Hey I started a fire troupe and taught all the people in it from scratch so I could spin with more people BUT I was careful when choosing the people I wanted to spin with. The people I do get frustrated with are the ones that are willing to endanger others with their fire art just to impress.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
*looks in from the IC unit*

Dom, don't we have the same general hair style??

That is to say...long and wild.

(...like my ex-wife!)

Raph

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Dom may well be your ex wife. He gets about a bit.

Meh

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
does that mean they both look like brad pitt

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Nah, Dom couldn't be my ex-wife...

..I get along with him.

Raph

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I personally share the art with any one that wants to learn. I have spent entire nights at a parties just teaching people.

I smell something burning.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I kinda understand the annoyance at the whole craze thing. I was never in the "in" crowd at school, I never really managed the whole popular and so cool thing. It has been a long time since, and I have built up a life that I love, it ain't about being cool, just about being me. And poi is one of those things.

If suddenly one of those trend-meisters from my school days who spent their life hassling me, walked over at a meet & went "look how cool I am I can do this!!", part of me would resent having that thing I loved hijacked for the purposes of being cool.

The rest of me would just think "what a total wanker", though, so I guess it all evens out

This is just a little hangover from the neuroses I developed in high school. It is highly unlikely to ever happen. & these days it is only a little twinge in the stomach cos I am way beyond it. But I can understand that if you are spending every day with a bunch of people who are very cruel cos you don't fit the image they like, then suddenly they turn around and subvert something that you have used to build your self respect, you would be angry.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
You know the interesting thing about me, or atleast what I see as interesting. Is that I am deffinatly not a raver! Techno is good trance is good, I still love my heavymetal and good ole rock and role, even country has been known to play on my sterio. I love spinning for the simple fact that its fun. Fire adds an element of danger and fear to it, thus making it more fun.

What catagory would you put someone like me in?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
ummmmmmmmmm normal?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Normal? Define Normal?

I have never been called normal, I dont know if I should be offended or happy hehe

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:

id go for a mixture of both if i were you. or try confused. That seems to work well.....

`

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
i wish there were more dedicated spinners around me. especially in my school.

the only spinners at my school are druggies and ppl i dont want to associate with

(no offense to anyone who uses drugs.)

[ 18 September 2002, 17:57: Message edited by: Ender ]