Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > hiyar! new guy here, names ste, a bit about me and some thoughts

Login/Join to Participate

ste.lomaxBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
as it says up the top my name is ste and from me to you a hearty hello!

i'm 19 and i live in manchester, i've been learnin poi for about 4 months now, i practice mostly in our front room and have killed two lightshades so far, sometimes also at a club night called monster-monster where people doin poi is common (in the attic, above the thirsty scholar, near oxford road station, saturdays, once a month, check it out)

anyways, i first came to this forum feelin pretty smug after havin mastered nearly all of the lessons on this site (just the 5bt rv weave, the 5bt rv btb weave and the 3bt/5bt fw btb weaves to go!) and then spent about week readin loadsa new moves posts and complicated debates and ended up here now and completely confused!

now to my point, i know i'm not the first person to ask what i am about to and i have used the search function, i'm just looking for opinions on the way i see things now, i don't expect everyone to agree with me and i'd find it freaky if you did

buzzsaw weaves - poi spinning inbetween your arms

inverted weaves - poi spinning on opposite sides between arms and body (under arpit)

box weaves - poi spinning in planes at 90 degrees

atomic weaves - same as box weave?

butterfly weaves - poi spinning in opposite directions but hand movement same as normal weaves

anti-spin - not sure but i'd imagine its what you do whilst doin a butterfly weave

pendulums (i realise i've spelt it wrong but admit it, this way has a nicer sound) - poi swing back and forth not full rotations

wraps - poi are wrapped around a limb

stalls - wraps where the poi change direction (rebound)

airwrap - poi wrap round each other

hyperloop - same as airwrap? specific type of airwrap?

so what do you think of that? and what have i missed?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Firstly, hello and welcome to HoP. Id like to direct your attention to the Introductions forum if youd like to make a more formal intro.

On to the defs...

Buzzsaw weaves - This is a more speciffic term. Buzzsaw is any move done between the arms but a buzzsaw weave is a weave (see 3 beat weave) which also travels between the arms. See my video thread in the video forum (ICoN's Video Archive - Should be on the second page or so) for a good examle.

Inverted weaves, box weaves, and atomic weaves Ill leave for someone else since I dont really do much of any of those and havent quite followed discussion pertaining to them.

Butterfly weaves - Correct

Anti-Spin - This is a variation pretty much exclusive to the flower family (yes, some people do "anti-spin weaves" but I personally dont consider them weaves.) It requires two points of rotation and involves the poi rotating in one direction while your arms rotate in the other.

Pendulums - Yep.

Wraps - Yep.

Stalls - These are pretty much the same thing as pendula but stay stationary.

Air Wrap/Hyperloop/Tangle/ - All referring to basically the same thing depending on who you talk to.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i'm with icon on most things, but isn't a airwrap "poi tangling and untangling on same side wothout interrupting them in any way" and an airwrap is when you tangle (1st half of airwrap) on one side of the body and untangle on the other side?

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im guessing you meant to say air wrap and hyperloop. It depends who you talk to really. Some people go with those definitions some dont. In actuality, they're the same family of moves, which is why I say they're the same thing but since we dont have 100% agreed on set definitions, its all preferance really.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Airwrap/hyperloop-wise, I think the Spherc description is best:

(Nexus being the point at which the poi touch)

Airwrap - The nexus does not move

Hyperloop - The nexus moves

On your wrap definitions, I would say that:

A wrap changes direction.

A "through wrap" does not - try wrapping on your arm, then moving your arm to the other side of your body before the poi manages to stop and start spinning the other way. It'll unwrap and spin the same way as it did before. Hard to explain, but it works - it's easier to get someone to teach you this if you have no idea what I'm talking about smile

A stall Is where the poi stops dead at some point in it's spin. Usually, this is pointing down, as gravity dictates, but it's possible to do horizontal or vertical (Perhaps inverse vertical?) stalls. Basically, you're aiming for the poi to be dead straight, but stopped in the air.

You haven't included kicking the poi to change direction, throws, or contact poi. These are rather black arts, to be honest, and no-one's really got proper definitions of what you can and can't do with them, but, but throws are where the poi leave your hands, and contact poi is where the poi leave your hands but remain in contact with your body, I guess.
EDITED_BY: Puresock (1107247905)

"Take that, math!"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sperculism spent a bunch of time and effort standardizing language. And they're the ONLY people that spent time doing specifically that.

So I make sure I go with their definitions.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I was never really big on spherc actually. I still dont agree with some of their definitions. I personally have spent a lot of time doing it as well, just havient gotten around to publishing anything.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Difficulty there Icon is that when you say you personally have worked on definitions, you seem to suggest a lack of external input (though I know you're a very experienced and travelled spinner both really and in the land of HOP). The great thing about the Spherc poidia is that its a joint defining and refining of definitions- its open to anyone registered in the forums- its not meant to be exclusive, and if you really feel you have a better or clearer definition or name for a term I suggest you add our respected voice to the debate smile

Hope to see you about,

Chutney smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Of course Ive had external input. I certainly didnt make up all my terms on my own. I just never ASKED for input. I just take things I agree with, change things I dont, and make some things up that dont already have definitions. Im not trying to make an encyclopedia though. Its just terms I personally use to describe things as simply as possible. Im not saying Spherculism is bad because they have done such things, I commend Matt and the rest of the community on their work. It just kinda erks me sometimes when people treat spherculism as a bible and refuse to consider other opinions on the matter. Ive met a few people who would be showing me a move saying its "xxx" and when I say something like "Well, its not really xxx because of yyy" they just say "No, Spherculism says its xxx so thats what it is."

Thats why Im not so big on Spherc. Not so much just because I disagree with some terms, but because some people will accept them as the be all end all.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
re the external input thing- Yes, I'm sorry, I know you know your stuff- I'm not second guessing you the words just led me astray. I humbly retract smile

I see that whole 'its wrong because spherc says so' as problematic- and I see that that could be frustrating.

I do though, still feel that the poidia is a really valuable project- by unifying all explanations through debate spinners all over should, in theory and over time, come to a unified understanding- this would bring the clarity and simplicity that I think you're suggesting is lacking- if terms in the poidia are currently innaccurate or not simple or clear enough, speak up, say why and you may well find that it gets changed to incorporate or totally accept your input- there is no one person saying yay or nay.

I think the crucial determination is this- are the members of Spherculism trying to say or state "we define what poi is and how things are?" I'm hope you'd agree that the answer is no.

I do think that the definitions should (by their very nature) be the be all and end all, but not in any arrogant or assertive sense, not because Spherculism 'says so'. I think its just the case that through a single unified and open definition base there comes a much wider understanding. The project is still in its infancy and the terms are still very much up for debate (and I don't think that will ever really stop- at no point will it be 'this is now' defined. The only point where a definition is actually in place is when it is commonly used widely with no need for explanation, ie when it becomes part of natural vocabulary).

I don't want to speak for matt, but I've been around on Spherculism a heck of a lot and in my experience their has never been a sense of taking ownership of anything related to poi, only a desire to open, clarify and evolve the art. I see the poidia as one part of this project smile

I hope thats not too pie i the sky- I mean no malice in my response smile

ATB

Chutney smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey icon, chutney just sent me a link over here.

I hear what you're saying about the poidia. That it could be taken as gospel and all that. And I understand that a newbie might take it like that and that an experienced player might take offense if the poidia terms are different to their own ideas.

I got really pissed off with the ammount of time i spent on hop trying to explain what 'I' meant by a certain term or phrase. Then i noticed that mst of the arguments i was having on hop ended up being resolved because of a slight difference in terminology.

When spherculism started up i wanted to make sure this didn't happen so much so i started the poidia forum. All i did was start a bunch of topics on every term i could think of eg Define 'Beat'. At no point did I give any hint to what i thought the term 'Beat' meant except on rare occasion when i felt particularly strongly.

The reason for this was that i wanted to find out what everyone else thought the term meant so that i could understand what they were talking about.

The Act of defining the terms turned out to be so useful in clarifying things in my head, and i'm sure other people feel the same.

After about 6 months of discussion i installed the wiki to store all the info and spiralx took charge of taking the definitions and putting them in the poidia.

All the difinitions forums are still open to anyone who has any input, that's the whole point of them ~ because definitions of terms are always changing. The poidia is certainly in it's infancy, we haven't even begun integrating it into the site properly.

It is mearly a outline with which we can work.

I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about it, but instead of stewing over it i'd love it if you wrote your own definitions in the poidia forum ~ if there is stuff which isn't right then it needs changing. No ones gonna bite your head off or anything.

The main aim of the poidia is to accellerate the transfer of knoledge between everyone. Personally i think it works really well, it' makes for a really good atmosphere because it is more difficult to get into arguments when everyone understands each other.

Nobody's claiming any kind of ownership of 'moves' or anything. The only term which we drastically changed was hyperloop / airwrap. We all got so bored of trying to explain the difference that we all decided to call every hyperloop or airwrap a Tangle. Which i like because most of the time that's exactly how they end up smile

Take it easy,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ack, I didnt mean for this to be a big thing. Im not trying to say anything bad bout Spherc. I dont think anyone is claiming moves or any of that jazz. Its all good. My comment bout not bein a fan was just taken too far. Sorry for gettin ya all riled up hehe.

Im a member on Spherc, I have been since it started. I check in every once in a while, just not too active there. Im happy here at HoP, it fulfils my online poi needs most of the time smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
hey new guy and welcome to HoP. angel
would you like some of wills spaghetti bolognase and a masage...?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
All good biggrin - I wasn't riled and I'm glad you're not either smile See you about ,
Chutney

Non-Https Image Link

ste.lomaxBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
cheers all

ta nucleopoi that would be top

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
that's not right, you're not meant to offer out will's spag bol and his massages (need's evil stare graemlin)

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.