Forums > Social Chat > tech question - media players & music

Login/Join to Participate

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hulloo!

ive just bought a new computer, and am finally getting around to burning most of my 100 cds.

what media player to you guys prefer? - am using windows media player at the moment, which is happily converting my music to wma files and sorting everything automatically.

is there a better one? and is there a better/preferred audio file format? or should i just keep things as they are?

thanx,
ed.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im using the new windows media player 10 which can vbe downloaded for free from www.microsoft.com

I love it.

rarrBRONZE Member
rrragghh!
121 posts

Posted:
eww no dont use wma files.. mp3s all the way...

I might be wrong but I think wma files are protected so you can only use them on your pc, if anything goes wrong and you need to reinstall everything the files will be as usefull as a chocolate teapot.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You are wrong me darling.

wink

When you copy them from Cd to your computer, windows media player automatically converts them into WMA format, which is smaller than MP3;

When you copy from the media player to a cd, Windows media player automatically converts them in WAV format.

When I want to copy them onto my minidisc, the abysmal piece of rubbish that is disguised as Sony Sonic stage converts tehm into the format for the minidisc.

rarrBRONZE Member
rrragghh!
121 posts

Posted:
yeah but Im pretty sure the quailty isnt as good as mp3s wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
It depends what sampling rate you copy it at.

I rip at 192kbps as I tend to play my music loudly and you can hear the diference between that, and something ripped with a lower sampling rate.

[reckons he remembers enough Physics from 2 years ago to know what he is talking about]

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: Urology Centre of Florida

When I want to copy them onto my minidisc, the abysmal piece of rubbish that is disguised as Sony Sonic stage converts tehm into the format for the minidisc.

ARGH I HATE SONIC STAGE!!! mad It is soooo horrible, I barely use my minidisk now, because Sonic Stage didn't like it that I had more than 500 songs in it, and that I wanted to put most of them on a MiniDisk... It's horrid! Is there *any* other program that transferrs them??

/rant

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
personally, i prefer musicmatch jukebox. it has its own library thingy, that has all your songs arranged by whatever thing you want (artist, track, album etc), and then you can sort them differently too. the best thing about the library is that your music can be all over the place, but its all in the lib.

if oyu get plus, legally or otherwise, you can rip at anywhere between 20 and 300-odd kbps, in either mp3, mp3pro, wav or wma, and i think that it will dial into the cddb, which automatically fills out all the details about the song. it has its own burner, supporting drag and drop burning (sorta).

Tag management, library printing, playlist saving and burning, volume leveling (so you dont go from a real quiet song to a loud one and blow speakers and eardrums and such), its own equalizer, a shrunk down mode, skins, you name it. i dont think it supports dolby 5.1 playback though.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Windows media player 10 does all of the above, and supports 5.1 sound I believe.

Its just come out so it should be good!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
yep, sure does..I just wish it had more plugins available
*nudge* *nudge*

..It's really good for mass tagging as well, if you're enough of an audiophile geek to try and use portable players where you can shuffle by genre..However, if 192 is good, 256 is great!!

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
Uhm, WinAmp5 is god.

BOMBS TERRORIST AIRPORT AIRPLANE HOSTAGE ALLAH JIHAD SUICIDE BOMB HIJACK

have you tested the patriot act recently?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
EvosoulX..

This , apparently is God.

wink

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
that doesn't look like winamp to me. .

wink

off topic note: i love when people who don't know me try to type out my name. hehehe its evolsoulx not evosoulx or EvolsoulX or Evolsoulx or evolsoulX or evilsoulx, tis evolsoulx. lol biggrin

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
sorry evolxsoul...

thank for you help guys!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
What, no ipod users?

I refuse to believe it.

Itunes... hands down. heheheheh

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
i don't like itunes, theres no customization to it.